Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2018, 02:06   #1

Boat: Catalina 25
Bahamas in May?me too! (first timer)

Hi all, I am planning a trip to the Abacos in May. I'm hoping to leave my home port of melbourne on the 9th of May and be at Lake Worth around the 11th or 12th then watch the weather. Have read many great bits of advice here on cruisers forum and on the internet but it would be nice to know if others are planning to cross around the same time. My plan is to spend about a week in the Bahamas then work my way back to Florida. Kind of a trial run for future adventures. I'm a small boat pilot, Catalina 25 and may be single handing across (hope not) but my dog doesn't want to go. I figure with an Epirb (2 of them), dinghy, VHF radio and a satellite phone I should be able to survive. Would love to hear from you. I'm an ex boy scout so I do believe in being prepared but not one to live my life in fear as there is so much beauty in this world to see! Thoughts , advice? free beer? just kidding.ttys
newbie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:14   #2

Re: Bahamas in May?me too! (first timer)

For first time crossing I would choose southerly wind 10 - 15 knots, clear skies for at least two days. You can leave Lake Worth just before daybreak and be on the Bahama banks before sunset. You should adjust your course for the northward drift from the gulf stream. May 11, the LR forecast suggests heavy rain early morning and evening this is not good for leaving port or entering/crossing the banks. Of course it is possible, just unnerving for a first timer. I would wait for better weather.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:59   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Bahamas in May?me too! (first timer)

I used to own a Catalina 25. I would be very particular about crossing the Gulf Stream in that boat. Wind would HAVE to be from SSE to W, and it would have to be below 15kts. Period. Don't forget that you can also get your butt kicked on the Little Bahamas Banks north of Grand Bahama. I got chewed up there in an Island Packet 35 once, and it weighs 4X what that C25 does. Your boat has a short waterline and is powered by an outboard motor on a bracket. When it gets rough, your boat will hobby-horse and your prop will cavitate and you won't be able to make headway. Only go in the best weather. One benefit to May in the Abacos is that the winds are diminishing to 10-15 daily and it gets warm.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas