Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 17:16   #1

Boat: Brayndlmeyer 40 custom
B.C inside passage

So we bought a 40' ketch never sailed before but I'm sure once upon a time neither did you!

April 6 th we drive from ituna, Sk to Vancouver island April 9th we set sail from pender harbour to Sointula 240 nm through Johnston straight we'll stop in Powell river ( my hometown ) then to Campbell river and as far as we can go to malcom island, don't jump the gun, I have a pro helping me out.
I will be videoing the whole trip and posting it on YouTube.
Till then happy sailing.....
Snkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 18:41   #2

Boat: Lagoon 420
Re: B.C inside passage

Hello there Ituna! We sailed through Pender Harbour in September and spent 2 days in Garden Bay Marina. Nice spot! You will also enjoy your travels through Desolation Sound with the stunning scenery. Good luck on your travels and enjoy learning your new boat.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 18:50   #3

Boat: hunter 376

Cheers. Spent some time in Alert Bay 30 years ago, hope you include it in your trip. Where is your final home on your new boat going to be?
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 20:10   #4

Hey thanks guys, I will be parking my vessel in Sointula just north of alert bay and for the next few years learning to sail north van island then who knows, the globe?
Old 03-04-2012, 20:42   #5

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Hello Ituna. Our home address is Buchanan. Our transom says Prince Albert and right now we're in Cowichan Bay. We're heading across the Strait at the end of the week and we'll be up to Pender Harbour before we come back to the Bay but we'll miss you I think. What's the name of your boat? We're Gray Hawk.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 21:03   #6

Boat: Irwin sloop

What a stuningly beautiful and challenging place to learn to sail. Lots of islands, bays, channels, strong tidal currents, williwaws, covering rocks and a 15ft tidal range. When you graduate you'll be ready to take on the world.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 21:45   #7

Our vessel is "umiak"
Old 03-04-2012, 22:26   #8

Boat: S2 35c

I have made the trip many times bring warm dry clothes !!!! One of the original founders of Green Peace (want's nothing to do with them now) lives on Hanson .Goes by the name Walrus. Look him up if your there interesting guy, bring beer. You will be next to the Broughton's so drop in to Billy Proctor's . A friend of mines wife is from Ituna , small world.
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 11:00   #9

So we had an amazing cruise up lol, we were looking at 100's of sea lions sun bathing on mittlneach island I was at the healm while the captain was rigging the jib my son was looking over board and said " I see the rocks" , the captain yells hard to starboard well I crank the wheel over thinking we would divert the disaster but no such luck we run aground.
We quickly grab the tide charts and to our relief the tide was on the rise, we spent 20 mins with engine in reverse and using a long pole to push us out. No problems after that.