Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2010, 17:51   #151

I cant get over all the negative attitude that has been fired at the Bumfuzzles and keeps being fired. For F**# sake give it a rest, these people now have more experience than than most of the nay sayers put together. What is experience, is it sailing around a lake for 30 years of sailing around the world in 1,2,or 3 years . I resently was asked to help out on a long distance delivery, where the skipper who holds a Yacht master certificate was unable to compleate the delivery due to a lack of confidence, it turned out all his sailing was on the bay and the only time he had been to sea was during the course. So why not give them a break it costs money to upload blogs and in some places internet access is just plain robbery. Oh I dug this up

experience

ex·pe·ri·ence

 /ɪkˈspɪəriəns/ Show Spelled [ik-speer-ee-uhns] Show IPA noun, verb, -enced, -enc·ing.
–noun 1. a particular instance of personally encountering or undergoing something: My encounter with the bear in the woods was a frightening experience.

2. the process or fact of personally observing, encountering, or undergoing something: business experience.

3. the observing, encountering, or undergoing of things generally as they occur in the course of time: to learn from experience; the range of human experience.

4. knowledge or practical wisdom gained from what one has observed, encountered, or undergone: a man of experience.

5. Philosophy . the totality of the cognitions given by perception; all that is perceived, understood, and remembered.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 27-08-2010, 17:54   #152

Boat: Nonsuch 30U #342 Tim Cat
Ralph:
Putting the boat back together is everything...to know it is worthy...Not there yet or my worthiness of the seas...Even on Lake Ontario.
I will work on both of those things.
Later
Old 27-08-2010, 19:05   #153
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
I did not know they wrote a book. I would like to read it. Also, I want to hear how they like their new boat.

"Money often costs too much."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
You can both read about their experiences in refitting their new vessel, Ty, and find a link to buy the book by visiting their website:

bumfuzzle.com

Congratulations, by the way, on getting your second yellow star.

TaoJones

Old 01-09-2010, 04:16   #154

Blog

Couldn't get in this morning; says "Service unavailable." But a Google search indicates updates in late August.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:48   #155

Works for me!
Old 01-09-2010, 05:17   #156

And for me

Obviously the problem was momentary. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:25   #157

Boat: Beneteau 41S5
I like them a lot, am jealous of their adventures AND their writing abilities. Ouest WILL be spending all of her life telling folks how to spell her name, and maybe that's a another great way to meet people.

Sail on Bumfoozle!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:55   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97fxdwg View Post
... Ouest WILL be spending all of her life telling folks how to spell her name ...
How does one pronounce her name?

Old 02-09-2010, 07:31   #159

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Simon,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
What is experience, is it sailing around a lake for 30 years of sailing around the world in 1,2,or 3 years .
You are being too logical :-)

-Sven
Old 02-09-2010, 07:36   #160
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
How does one pronounce her name?
It's French for "West" and is pronounced almost exactly the same - proper French pronunciation, I believe, is "Ooo - est," but pronounced quickly, it comes out the same. Ali and Pat have taken to calling her "Westerly," at the moment, but these sorts of things evolve over time. Chances are, she'll be called "Pumpkin" or something, but I think Ouest is pretty cool.

For a time, she was called Coconut . . . soon after she was born and they were still in Mexico, Pat and Ali were walking on the beach in Puerto Vallarta, with Ouest in one of those sling-things on Pat's chest. They passed a woman and her little boy walking the other direction, and soon after they had passed one another they heard the little boy tell his Mom, "Yep, he's got coconuts in there!"

Check out the January 16, 2010 log entry to see a picture of Pat with his little Coconut:

TaoJones
Old 02-09-2010, 07:45   #161

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Forum life...Cruising life...I tend to liken the naysayers and boneheads that go over the top to berate a person about what they are doing (and on a forum dedicated to a life of freedom, no less!) to the government babysitters all over the place...you can't do that, you can't do this..jeez..

I love it when I hear someone say, "Chief, you can't do that!" "Watch me.."

Anyway, I had just discovered their blog a couple days ago..its a nice read..and an adorable child..I don't think I'd want to be going to sea with a toddler, but i've been there and done the toddler thing..my own hellions are learning how to crew with us..(Our littlest brought me a well tied bowline in the bight yesterday..I left her alone with a knot book..) I do hope they come back here..but y'all may be right..once bitten..

I hope they do well with the new boat...
Old 24-09-2010, 10:46   #162

Boat: Catamaran - Eventually
Bumfuzzle

I love these guys. They're living my dream and have been for the last 6 years. I think they're doing a great job. Looking forward to more years of reading and I hope I meet them out there some day.
Old 24-09-2010, 11:01   #163
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
I do hope they come back here..but y'all may be right..once bitten..

I hope they do well with the new boat...
I correspond with Pat on an irregular basis, zopi, and I believe he will resume posting about the refit of the new Bumfuzzle, their Spindrift 43. And I expect they will do very well with the vessel, as you stated you hope they will. Pat is a very talented guy mechanically, and I know he and Ali learned a lot during their four-year circumnavigation that would be beneficial to the members here, so any misguided attempt to drive them away will be, shall we say, "frowned upon" by the site staff.

In addition, they will have the perspective of circumnavigators aboard a 35' catamaran for four years who will now be cruising aboard a 43' monohull motorsailer. That gives them a certain credibility that is hard to come by.

And you're right . . . their little Coconut, Ouest, is absolutely adorable.

TaoJones
Old 24-09-2010, 11:32   #164

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
I love the Bumfuzzles. Were it not for reading their blog for years, I doubt I would have agreed to give this cruising lifestyle a try. We tried and are now back, sold the house and about to embark again. I will forever be grateful for their blog. I love following their adventure. I wish I had had the grit to have tried this many, many a year ago.
Old 24-09-2010, 12:01   #165
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I correspond with Pat on an irregular basis, zopi, and I believe he will resume posting about the refit of the new Bumfuzzle, their Spindrift 43. And I expect they will do very well with the vessel, as you stated you hope they will. Pat is a very talented guy mechanically, and I know he and Ali learned a lot during their four-year circumnavigation that would be beneficial to the members here, so any misguided attempt to drive them away will be, shall we say, "frowned upon" by the site staff.

In addition, they will have the perspective of circumnavigators aboard a 35' catamaran for four years who will now be cruising aboard a 43' monohull motorsailer. That gives them a certain credibility that is hard to come by.

And you're right . . . their little Coconut, Ouest, is absolutely adorable.

TaoJones
I don't recall anyone ever trying to "drive them off" but maybe I missed some of the gazillions of posts on the subject.

The way I remember it was the bumfuzzles (or their proxies or sock puppets) trolling about and then getting upset when some members here reacted negatively to some of the things written in their posts. But maybe my memory is faulty.