Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2010, 20:00   #106
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Absolutely Great Post - StillRaining
Old 22-07-2010, 20:16   #107

Boat: Constellation 44 - 'Two and a half'
Send a message via Skype™ to Captnlaz
Thumbs up Seeing donations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'm just being honest. If you don't see how an extremely wealthy couple (by nearly any standard) asking for donations to further finance their yachting adventure could rub someone the wrong way, I think you're reaching. You don't need to personally find it odd or offensive, but it shouldn't be too hard to piece together how that might in some small way put some people off.

At at minimum, it's certainly a type of behavior that I have nothing in common with. I'm not trying to play my sad little violin, but for those of us who had a taste of poverty growing up, watching your parents have to beg money out of friends to pay for groceries creates an odd juxtaposition against a $100K yacht grew doing something similar.
I have finally brought myself up to speed with the Bumfuzzle gang. I can see both sides of the argument which predominantly revolves around the Pay Pal donation area of their blog.

The question is - 'Is there a problem with this?' I guess that knowing the reported background of the family one could argue that they don't need the money as they seem to be rather well off as evidenced by their purchases/flights/equipment purchases. My financial situation bears no resemblance to theirs!

Would I seek donations 'for a pizza'? I like my independence and it is also a matter of pride where I probably would not do the same as the Bumfuzzles. Should I criticise them for doing this? Each to his own I say (and mean!) If someone has the cash and decides - of his/her own free will - to open his/her wallet and kick in, that is their choice. No one is forcing anyone to do what they don't want to do. The Bumfuzzels? They probably run a slightly different value system to me!

I don't know them personally and I don't want to judge them - I wish I had access to the funds to do exactly what they are doing in regard to travels/lifestyle.

Again I will say - Good luck to them!

Larry
Old 22-07-2010, 20:56   #108

Boat: Bristol 34
Bumfuzzle Crew

I really enjoyed the Bumfuzzle blog and their stories as well as their adventurous spirits. What I have read on this post about the couple has been far from kind and I have seen some downright nasty remarks about them here. Seems some folks on this site have a very overrated notion of the value of thier opinions. I can say I would much rather hang around with those two (now three) than many of the regular posters here. I wish them the best of luck and if I ever run into them I'll buy 'em a pizza and beer.
Old 22-07-2010, 21:28   #109
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
You've Got to be kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
I really enjoyed the Bumfuzzle blog and their stories as well as their adventurous spirits. What I have read on this post about the couple has been far from kind and I have seen some downright nasty remarks about them here. Seems some folks on this site have a very overrated notion of the value of thier opinions. I can say I would much rather hang around with those two (now three) than many of the regular posters here. I wish them the best of luck and if I ever run into them I'll buy 'em a pizza and beer.
95% of this thread is full of #$% kissing to get them to stay, or more appropriately, start posting. They still have only posted - what - five times and your willing to throw all the rest of CF regulars under the bus?

You get out what you put in.
Old 23-07-2010, 06:58   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
95% of this thread is full of #$% kissing to get them to stay, or more appropriately, start posting. They still have only posted - what - five times and your willing to throw all the rest of CF regulars under the bus?

And given the crap they receive here, you think they should feel welcome? As for the CF regulars, so what? Most are just grumpy old blowhards.

Eff this, once again this forum has pissed me off at the way people are treated. And mods? If you dont like what I post, feel free to ban me. I could probably find better things to do with my time.
Old 23-07-2010, 07:41   #111

Boat: Bristol 34
Bumfuzzle Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post

Bumfuzzle posting on this forum has nothing to do with my observation that some people here are constantly pointing out the negative in others. There are those sad little people, in all walks of life, who can only elevate the perception of their own self worth by diminishing others. Those are not the folks I care to share a pizza and beer with.

While this observation is certainly not an indictment of all the "regulars" on this forum - if the Topsiders fit - Wear them.
Old 23-07-2010, 07:50   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
... my observation that some people here are constantly pointing out the negative in others. There are those sad little people, in all walks of life, who can only elevate the perception of their own self worth by diminishing others...

Would this very observation be a general example of that which you lament?

Old 23-07-2010, 21:40   #113

Boat: Catalina 42'
Quote:
Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated.
Perhaps if the mods were more diligent we wouldn't be at the point we presently find ourselves.
Old 23-07-2010, 22:58   #114

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Unsubscribing from this thread, nothing good here, including myself. I'm going to some happier internet place.
Old 24-07-2010, 09:49   #115

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Like here?

The Joke Thread - Page 62 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 25-07-2010, 19:10   #116

Time Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Would this very observation be a general example of that which you lament?
GordMay - An observation is a completely different thing from a condemnation. In my humble opinion you, as a moderator, were hard on the writer you make comment on. In my first week in this website I am asking myself the question of whether thread is representative of others on this site.

I have always enjoyed the camaraderie of sea loving folk. Also I only enjoy going to a website if it is a positive one to be on.

Reading through the posts I can plainly see that some people may be throwing stones from glass houses. C'mon guys, lighten up!

Larry
Old 25-07-2010, 19:14   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captnlaz View Post
GordMay -<snip>, as a moderator, <snip>

To be clear. Gord is a former site admin and moderator. He has stepped down. In light of his years of service helping others here he was given the title "Moderator Emeritus". It is the site staff's way of saying thank you.

See emeritus: honorably retired from assigned duties and retaining your title along with the additional title `emeritus' as in `professor emeritus'
Old 25-07-2010, 19:29   #118

I am aware of what 'emeritus' means. What I have no idea on is internal workings of this site or whether GordMay, being retired, could still possibly moderate on this site although retired.

I stand by my last post regardless of his position - perhaps I should follow the lead of sww914!

Bye!
Old 25-07-2010, 19:42   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Please, lets get back on topic.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 17-08-2010, 16:19   #120
idk

I just read it for the first time in a long time (since they're back on a boat).
A certain comment struck me as very strange.

"13-Aug-2010 9:11 PM
It never fails, as soon as I spout off about how much the cruising community, especially the online bit, annoys me, cruisers and Bum friends come by to say and do nice things"

Why ,if he dislikes the attention from the online 'community' so much, does he blog about every detail of his life online. I presume he had something to do with so many people becoming aware of they're adventures in the first place? Maybe even promoted it a little?
Maybe because the same 'online community' hands over they're money through paypal so that he and family can basically do whatever they want?

I don't care about the paypal thing much (although i do think that the idea of donations as some sort of payment for work writing the blog as a bit weak), but I'd be lying if i said i wasn't annoyed by the type who ONLY want the positives from something like this while never actually hearing what people really thought.
Closed Thread