Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 17-08-2010, 21:52   #136
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post

Why ,if he dislikes the attention from the online 'community' so much, does he blog about every detail of his life online. I presume he had something to do with so many people becoming aware of they're adventures in the first place? Maybe even promoted it a little?
Maybe because the same 'online community' hands over they're money through paypal so that he and family can basically do whatever they want.
Hi Chris. Welcome to CF!

My point was that no one here can answer what you ask in your post. Sorry, it just didn't sound very supportive.

Just so you know, he promoted his site and adventures with only one post. This was the post - www.Bumfuzzle.com

Ralph

Old 17-08-2010, 22:53   #137

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Would this very observation be a general example of that which you lament?
No GordMay, my single observation is not an example of CONSTANT badmouthing of others, Where can you find a correlation between my ONE negative post and incessant postings by the louts to whom that post was directed?

Old 18-08-2010, 08:29   #138

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
yes, i have. was there something really terrible that i missed?
it just seemed like a few people questioning their 'pay for out lifestyle' thing.
unless some things were deleted, it all seems pretty harmless and to be expected when you put yourself out there. just like any other person who puts themselves in the public eye.
There was a lot more than that. I don't think you've seen the long thread with all the negativity that started a few years back.

Unfortunate turn!

A lot of people on this forum were upset because the Bums didn't have sailing experience when they set off. Apparently, they are the only couple who set off cruising with no experience

They made it around the world very successfully, which is more than most people on this forum can say. And it looks like they'll soon be off cruising again.
Old 18-08-2010, 08:35   #139

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post

They made it around the world very successfully, which is more than most people on this forum can say. And it looks like they'll soon be off cruising again.
Old 18-08-2010, 08:58   #140

IDK,

Here'e the entire quote..think it sounds a little different than just a sound bite:

"It never fails, as soon as I spout off about how much the cruising community, especially the online bit, annoys me, cruisers and Bum friends come by to say and do nice things. Today we were sitting here when a guy we met last week dropped by with a big bag of fresh picked pears for us. It's harvesting season around here and the trees do indeed look loaded. He also mentioned that his wife is a big fan of Ali's. Who isn't, right?

Then tonight as we came out of the shower with Ouest we were surprised by a couple of longtime Bum friends from Medford, Oregon who were sort of driving through the general area and decided to see if they couldn't track us down and say hi. We had a nice visit with them and again the new Bumfuzzle got two thumbs up.
So anyway, I know I give the cruising community crap sometimes, but I also know just how fortunate we are to have so many friends from so many different places around the globe that, I suppose, would have to be considered part of the "cruising community."

Really don't have a side in this thread but I think the complete quote is very different than one taken out of context.
Old 18-08-2010, 09:14   #141
idk

the whole thing just shows more that they are surrounded by a lot of very nice, generous people within the community.
this is why i think any whining about some people on a forum is a total waste. sounds like he should just live in real life where everyone is nice to them and not worry so much about what everyone else thinks. i mean, it's pretty obvious that critical types usually have there say online and don't normally show up at your boat.
Old 18-08-2010, 09:17   #142

I agree wholeheartedly...everybody should stop whining about other people on this forum
Old 18-08-2010, 09:19   #143

I've read the blog, they seem like nice people. Good luck to them.
Old 19-08-2010, 01:55   #144

Boat: Jeanneua 36
thank god were not all toyotas !!!!!!
Old 19-08-2010, 03:13   #145

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuff View Post
thank god were not all toyotas !!!!!!
Nice way to put it.
Old 19-08-2010, 04:29   #146

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.
Boat: Diesel Duck 462 M/V Dora Mac
Bumfuzzles

Iím proud of the Bumfuzzles. It appears to me they did everything right. Finished school, got jobs, saved their money, circumnavigated, and put off having a child until the time was right for them. I started following their blog early on and appreciated their unbiased attention to detailing their adventure. I bought and read their book which I enjoyed. I thought it would be a rehash of the web site but it was a new and refreshing account. I never read anything in the book or on their web site about them or their families being wealthy. It is my impression they are from the working class.
I learned from Pat and Ali that I could learn something from someone half my age. They even have all their circumnavigation anchorages on the web site along with helpful comments about each one. This is a benefit to anyone doing or planning to do a circumnavigation. Their comments about the Red Sea have caused us to look forward to our own passage through it next year.
Iím not offended they ask if anyone wants to buy them a pizza no more than they're offended that I havenít. I have emailed them numerous times with questions or suggestion and they have emailed me back each time.
My wife and I have cruised around SE Asia for over three years and half the cruisers we meet, like the Bumfuzzles, had no sailing experience before deciding to live and travel on a boat, including us.
No one should fault them for being young with a well thought out and planned life.
Old 27-08-2010, 17:27   #147

Send a message via Skype™ to DarkBlue
Couldn't agree more with you!
Old 27-08-2010, 17:43   #148

Boat: Nonsuch 30U #342 Tim Cat
At 50, divorced and wanting to coastal cruise when I get to cast off...I agree that the Bums are my idols...Lil late for me to make a world trip...Then again, who knows.
Later
Old 27-08-2010, 17:46   #149

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
I did not know they wrote a book. I would like to read it. Also, I want to hear how they like their new boat.

"Money often costs too much."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 27-08-2010, 18:07   #150
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones1349 View Post
At 50, divorced and wanting to coastal cruise when I get to cast off...I agree that the Bums are my idols...Lil late for me to make a world trip...Then again, who knows.
Later
50? You are still young! The Bums are inspiring, for sure. What's not to like - and enjoy in reading their story.

For you, I will pass on these words from a close friend of mine...

"You just go slow. A step at a time, a day at a time, and you will get to where you need to be. It's not mandatory to go below the 5 capes. It's not mandatory to leave a known shore for the unknown shore. The only thing mandatory in sailing is maintanance, or the boat will wither."

I hope that helps.
Ralph

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: