Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2007, 19:32   #1

Antigua and Barbuda

Looking at next charter adventure. Looking for any who have chartered or cruised with insights, experiences & suggestions for anchorages, snorkeling, local food, beaches, etc....especially Barbuda
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 04:01   #2

Boat: Westerly 33, Dunkers of Tintern
Barbuda has a fabulously long beach with a good sand bottom anchorage. Not sure about restaurants etc but I'm sure that there will be plenty of advice in guidebooks and from the charter company for you. Water is crystal clear of course and the diving should be good. Enjoy!
Dunkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 07:11   #3

barbuda is like a bahamian cay plunked down in the caribbean; ie, it is very dry with no trees, just sand and hot sun, with a smelly salt pond in the center of the island. i have only anchored along the west coast which is rolly most of the time, a long white beach, empty and pristine. you would want to go into the cove at the foot of the island where there is a hotel and some shelter. the east coast of antigua has some very interesting gunkholing you might want to check out while you are in the area and i had alot of fun in parham which is a muddy anchorage but the little town is very friendly. do your chartwork, approaching barbuda you will see nothing until you are right on top of the place as it is very flat. i use old imray iolaire paper charts and they were off a bit on latt/lon, but doyle has gps waypoints i'm sure are accurate.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 07:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Chris Doyle on Barbuda:
“... Anyone wanting to follow our cat prints can sail to Barbuda and anchor off Low Bay. George Jeffries is willing to guide you in. His phone number is 268-460-0143, and he stands by on VHF: 16 “Garden of Eden.” ...”
See the excellent article:
Cruising to Codrington

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 08:57   #5

Helpful Hints

Great Stuff folks.................that's what I'm looking for....every little bit helps.
LB - your descriptions match what I've read in Doyles & your hints are appreciated.
GM - great article........saved it.....thanks so much
Will use all the info..............prep/planning is part of the fun
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda