Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2009, 01:00   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 70
We're definitely not going to push through anything we don't have to.

SeaCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 00:59   #32
Registered User
swagman's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Posts: 2,175
Images: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Do not mean to throw a bucket of cold water on your plan, SeaCow, but maybe it is the recognition in each of your messages of your ongoing concerns that sees me having to say this - especially now we learn it is only paperwork driving you to take the risks.

I am a somewhat bullish sailor. Actually I like heavy weather sailing. So when you first posed your initial questions about this route you'll recall I was supportive of the trip..........

Not so any more. I suggest for the best possible reasons, you find a way to delay your departure until later next year.

Do not mean to insult you but it sounds like you've neither the experience or the confidence to do what you plan to do in safety. Read the story of the cargo ship going down off Lebanon this week to get some scope on how bad it can get and the outcomes of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What about diverting your obvious energy and enthusiasm into sorting that paperwork and amend your goal to waiting for a better time to depart?


Don't take life too seriously. No ones going to make it out alive......Go see our blog at
swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 01:12   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 70
Believe me, we've tried to sort the paperwork.. You cannot believe bureaucracy and the lack of cooperation or common sense between different ministries. One says leave or go to a special "detention center" for those staying beyond their time, another says you can't leave because we haven't processed your request yet.... You really cannot believe the madness. Our initial goal was to leave much sooner, and now I think that winter has definitely arrived and crossing is too risky. If we could have just left a month earlier. Now we are seeing where we might "move" with or without the boat, however likely we will be jumping from one frying pan to another.
SeaCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 04:02   #34
Registered User
Ram's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cruising Greece
Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Posts: 2,298
Images: 27
there were 2 ships that sunk in the area in the last week-39 still missing off Lebnon with 13 bodies so far-
try hangin in the Greek islands your gonna be fine there until spring,

Ram is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going to the Caribbean! Y-a-a-a-a-y! Clairek Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 5 01-08-2009 04:58
Caribbean to UK Withfield Crew Archives 4 13-05-2009 16:04
Caribbean dw5055 Meets & Greets 9 02-05-2006 14:13

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:21.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.