I'm planning a trip from New Haven to Rock Hall through the C&D canal for late October. Although I mostly single
hand my boat
with about a 6' draft) my experience is all day sails
or overnights on the Sound, so this will be my first extended solo sail (but looking forward to more!).
Any tips, pointers? Things I'm thinking about at the moment are:
1. Any tips for the East River? I've been reading up on the expected current
and staying to the West of Roosevelt island, what are some other concerns?
2. I'm planning on anchoring
the night behind sandy hook... any concerns there? Is that area crowded this time of year?
3. How's the trip down the Jersey coast? I'm debating whether to duck in at various points on the shore and split the trip down the coast into a couple of legs or just do a straight run to AC or Cape May. I've been reading other posts saying that some of the inlets (Barnagut in particular) may be a bit treacherous for the uninitiated.
4. Pointers for the rest of the trip? C&D canal?
5. Thoughts on making this my first extended solo sail? I've had offers of help, but am really kind of looking forward to the alone time!
Many thanks in advance for all your help!