Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 11:47   #1

1-2 year Cruising Itinerary with Family

I plan on either circumnavigating or spending a year to two years sailing with my family of 4. I have several years until we depart so want to start planning. I do not currently have a boat so could purchase a boat on either the west coast or east coast of the US if the result would be a better location to launch from. My goal is to visit the South Pacific. I do not know if I want to finish my cruise in New Zealand or Australia or possibly South Africa or make a complete circumnavigation. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I would start in Florida due to its proximity to my home.
panthalassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:12   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: 1-2 year cruising itenerary with family

Buy Jimmy Cornell's Cruising Routes of the World. 1 to 2 year circumnavigation is possible but moving pretty quick. Depending on the age of the kids you might want to look into A Pacific Circle, an Atlantic Circle, Cruising the Caribbean. Lots of choices. The last two would make for shorter passages.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 13:57   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum

A 1-2 yr. cruise thru the Caribbean would be good to get use to the boat and also be able to figure out if this is the life you want.
If it's not your thing, you are still close to the USA and still close to home. And if you want to go around, the Panama Canal's a short jump away...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 17:42   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Although I have known cruisers who have crossed the Pacific in one season/year they missed just about everything the area has to offer. Common opinion is it takes two to four years to do justice to the Pacific.
- - Even the Atlantic Circle and Caribbean circles take more than a year due to the requirement that some seasons you cannot move due to storms and other really nasty weather and winds/waves.
- - The Caribbean circle takes two years or more to be able to stop and "smell the roses" and experience the cultures there. Especially with kids on board hurrying is a waste of yours and their time. They do not learn anything about the world and other people.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 18:21   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

As to launch off points, the east coast, because of it's many more protected cruising grounds, makes a great place to get your feet wet, especially with a family. If you start on the west coast, there are not too many safer places to get into the swing of things before moving on.

Think..
Chesapeake Bay
Pamlico sound and it's tributaries
Maine

There are no big sounds or bays on the west coast.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 18:30   #6

For a first cruise I would go with the Carribean. It doesnt have the very long crossings of the So Pac for a first cruise. You are not going to do the SoPac in 1-2 years. Relax, spend time at each landfall, the family will love it and you'll learn a wealth of knowledge. Leave Florida after Christmas and get to Trinidad by June-ish. Revisit the places you like or go further. Get back when you need to.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:51   #7

Re: 1-2 year Cruising Itinerary with Family

I just want you to keep in mind this is probably going to be my only opportunity to do this with my kids.
panthalassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:01   #8

Yep, the Caribe is perfect. Lots of cultures to be exposed to, plenty of sand beaches and good snorkeling, no 3-weeks-at-sea crossings, I had my grandkids in the Bahamas 10 years ago, and they still talk about it....errr...in between texts anyway... :>)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 18:47   #9

You must have sailed a whole lot if you are planning a trip this major! If you are set on hitting both Atlantic & Pacific, I know people who have done the Caribbean, thru Canal to S. Pacific and sell boat in Australia/ New Zealand. I'm not sure what the sale requires but they sold their boat quickly. It would still be a really fast trip. The kids may remember more fondly having a terrific time visiting, learning about & swimming around the Caribbean. Good Luck planning and sailing- I hope it's a wonderful trip!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 20:28   #10

Boat: Morris Justine 36'

If one did as Cheechako suggests and left Florida late December with the goal of arriving in Trinidad by June, would that then mean waiting out the season in Trinidad? (That is a real question since I have similar aspirations for a trip with my own kids some day) And if it does mean that one would summer down there, what would that be like for the kids?
FecklessDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, family