Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-11-2015, 12:41   #16

Re: Yacht Recommendations - NEW Crewed Charter business Setup.

Perhaps you should approach your financier with different scenarios and see what they would be prepared to finance ? Moving a boat over the Atlantic for the season would concern most unless there was other co lateral.
Boat size and therefore cost do matter, as does the competition. We came across a young French guy in a 26 ft sloop who seemed to be making a good living chartering up to 3 backpackers overnight from Columbia to Panama.

old pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:44   #17

Boat: Pearson 39-2

Just my 2 cents worth. I have a smaller boat than what you are looking at (a 39' Pearson 392). My wife, myself and our cat live on our boat on the east coast US during summers. I have a USCG 50 ton Masters license, set up an LLC and do day charters and sunset cruises.

A few things we have found out: 1) we love living on the boat, 2) it isn't too hard to drum up charters depending on location and visibility of the boat, 3) Charters expect a pristine boat, so prior to each charter, expect to pick up all the things lying around on the boat from normal day to day living, wipe all surfaces, clean up scuff marks from previous charters, take out the trash, etc... (it sometimes feels to be more of an inconvenience to do a charter than its worth). 4) you do meet some fun and interesting people, however they are intertwined with days of non stop talkers, pompus, boisterous and inebriated characters, who don't respect your home as much as you do.

Overall, it can be, and is possible, but expect many bumps and long days along the way.

Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:19   #18

So you wantta charter. Well to begin I strongly recommend the Caribbean in winter and Med in Summer or even the north coast of France and South coast of England. Many charter boats in Carib make the semi annual trip across the pond you might consider that.
There is a large contingent of charter boats and broker network already in place. You should consider brochures and placement in local travel agency's currently near you and try to cut a special deal with them.
The Ben57 or the mood64 are perfect choices as would a classic boat of any type as these fit the Carib and European lifestyles and Boat choices. Definitely something with three cabins and by all means take the best cabin for yourself (I know this sounds strange but your charter guests are going to be tired after full days of sailing and partying and there is plenty of room for them in where ever they sleep plus you can always give it up for a premium fee).
St Thomas is a good choice in Carib to start, you will learn a lot quickly and can always do daysails from the Criuse Ships as its set up for that.
Antigua does not have as many varied anchorages and the Islands around are tough anchorages.
Down Island to Bequia is another story as it has some great anchorages like Palm Island but is much rougher when going between Islands.
The Spanish Virgins do not have as many great Anchorages with the exception of Culebra which can be a great place to take your time off in and its a half dayb sail downwind from St T.
After a while you'll probably want to base in the BVI so as to avoid the long trip to weather to get to the best cruising grounds and the most requested trips.
Provisioning is good in both St T and Bvi.
You will only need one person other than yourself and that is for cook position with sailing help during the short trips you'll take so a person to double as cook and hand, a girl is necessary as charter guests will feel more at home.
Good luck, it's an adventure, I spent 3 years charting from those destinations and loved every minute of it. Oh by the way the most important thing is you will need all the toys that yachting implies so stock well!
captaindanger70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:29   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

My friends are running a viable charter of the type you envision on their Bavaria. Their boat is 37 or thereabouts. In the Med, mostly. They claim 3 separate cabins are the key and once you have them, stay at low LOA to keep the berthing costs low. Now they took another boat that is very similar (I think 40').

One important point is as far as they are sailing only one of their boats, at the same time they are cross selling and managing traffic to a dozen or so of similar boats and so being at the nod of all information they can easily make sure their own boat (-s) is/are always fully booked.

So to say it is not only in the right boat but also in the right idea of the how you manage your client base.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:45   #20

Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine

Back in the 80’s I did what you are talking about, so I thought I might just chip in.
Bought a 40 foot ketch and sailed from England to the Meddy’ with my wife and two small daughters.
I aimed at “family” skippered charters, and managed to make a go of it for seven years. Sometimes I skippered alone and the wife and kids found accommodation ashore. Sometimes we did it together and she cooked. Also, we had clients who wanted to have the kids as well, because they had children of similar ages. It was a niche market which nobody else seemed to bother about.
This was pre-EEC and we had to be careful in Spain. But now I think it’s possible to be open about it within the EEC.
I’ve actually got an ideal boat for you, but perhaps to old for financing. It would certainly draw the day charterers and has three doubles for extended cruises. It is also rigged for short handed sailing. She is British registered and definitely has the right name. Trouble is: I don’t know if I actually want to sell her.
Good luck with you plans. It can be done.

How to build a square rigger? Find out at
Also pages of sailboat items for sale
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote

charter, crew, men, yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: