Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Would you use acupuncture/herbal medicine while cruising?
Yes, if I was ill 8 23.53%
Yes, as preventive medicine 13 38.24%
No way 11 32.35%
Don't know 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2008, 16:46   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
It gets worse.

There are many arguments against patenting of any genetic material, mainly based upon the premise that genes are part of nature and have not been invented by anyone, thus should not be owned by anyone. The U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) has firmly rejected this notion, based upon the fact that a gene may be removed from a person, then a clone of that gene may be made in a machine; which is then not a part of nature, but a product of the lab. The PTO has made it clear that companies may indeed patent both whole genes as well as pieces of genes.
I'm undecided. The question (I think) isn't whether patenting genes is ethical, but rather whether or not it's useful. Does allowing gene patents ultimately cause more knowledge and understanding, or does it hinder them?

Also remember, owning a patent doesn't mean "owning the gene". Violating a patent is only a matter for civil courts (it's not theft). You may have to pay damages, but you'll never go to jail or appear in criminal court.

Patenting a redwood tree is no more strange to me than the idea of 'buying' land.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:52   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
I'm undecided...
I think that confusion & indecision is a very reasonable response to a very complicated set of questions.

There’s much debate and controversy over the patenting of genes, and the subsequent licensing and restrictions enforced by the patent holders.

The issue is no longer whether genes can be patented on principle, but what sort of patents on what sort of genetic information will most encourage the development of useful inventions and products for promoting human health and the public good.

Many biotech companies, big and small, argue that genes must be patentable to allow firms to recoup their investment in identifying them. But other firms fear allowing genes to be patented before any specific, proven use has been established for them will hold back medical advances.

While a convincing case can be made for the value of patents in securing investment and attention from those who hold them, limiting access to portions of the human genome to a small set of scientists (simply because they identified the sequences first) is unlikely to lead to the maximal intellectual exploitation of this resource.

In fact, there is little evidence which shows whether the patent system has had a negative, positive or broadly neutral impact on research, or whether commercial development is actually impeded.

Nor does it make moral sense. If government funds have been used to map and sequence the human genome, why should the fruits of that effort be turned over to a single owner?

Permitting patents of simple segments of the genome, rather than for products and inventions, would seem (to me) to be contrary to the public interest.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:27   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Logical argument. The fundamental science is unpatentable, only the engineered applications are. And, I'd agree that (naturally occuring) genetic information is fundamental science. I wonder though about genetic engineering. An engineered gene very well might occur naturally (if rarely). What to do then? Maybe we need a new class of patents?
Old 18-08-2009, 20:33   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Acupuncture might be very hard to practice in a marine environment. .....

So if I was going to try to practice alternative medicine on a yacht, I would move in the direction of herbal medicine. There's less risk of complications, and you could help tip the body's balance in the direction of health and healing.
Herbal medicine is great, but the body is a system and needs the whole gamut of traditional treatment + modern treatment for emergencies.
Old 18-08-2009, 20:43   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Good response. It's a tough subject, but you are getting vauable market research, right?

One thing I wanted to mention in regards to the quote above is that maybe... just maybe... both systems can indeed be reconciled.

For instance: .....
In China the two kinds of hospital are often opposite, or beside each other. Then they can work together efficiently.
Old 18-08-2009, 20:49   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
I agree with GordMay here 100%.

On the (peripheral) subject of scientists with individual bias' sluissa has a point. It is true that we're only human...

Acupuncture is in fact, applied Taoism. Taoism is a mythology, and mythologies are not self-correcting (nor should they attempt to be, IMO). The concept of yin and yang has about as much scientific validity as the concept of the four humors.
I think we are using the science of debating tech.
Old 23-08-2010, 13:48   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Wade View Post
Herbal medicine is great, but the body is a system and needs the whole gamut of traditional treatment + modern treatment for emergencies.
Oh how I tried not to jump into this fray!

I lived with a very nice girl who was a herbalist and significantly believed that "traditional western medicine" was the brainchild of the propagandists at "big pharma" and the "medical community".

Now, evidence based (not anecdotal, and I don't care if the anecdote is 5000 years old), scientific and REPLICABLE protocols and procedures was just not in her vocabulary; she would categorically dismiss any suggestion that it should be as "5000 year old practices prove their viability".

It's too bad, but we broke up over her insistence on not even looking at modern medicine, except for broken bones and such. I remember her coming home from a seminar in the States and telling me we had to put magnets on all our electrical outlets to "purge our house from electromagnetic pollution".

Believe it or not, this person had taken a course in university physics! There was no rationalization for her conversion, but all the scientific knowledge went out the window.

BTW, she makes a very, very good living now practicing her "holistic medicine". Last I talked to her she is averaging over $15,000 a month out of her house. I could of been retired, but I just could not accept her beliefs and be true to myself.

A LOT of people believe in and buy her beliefs.

Sad, but true.
Old 23-08-2010, 15:54   #68

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
Mangofuffins - YES. If I could afford it, I have never looked into acupuncture so I have no idea of the cost.
Old 06-05-2015, 23:31   #69

Re: Would You Use Alternative Health Care While Cruising?

I know this post is old but I stumbled across it and could not help but to share my opinion.
Working with quality engineering but having a strong connection to understanding energies etc etc I took the opportunity a few years back to widen my knowledge on a more softer side so to say.
I took some local classes in mostly Healing and Mediumship but other things were studied and tried as well like Aura reading, Intuition training, Spirit art, Planchett writing etc etc.

No matter what people think, and I am a sceptic about most things…. I’ve seen it work, I tried to explain things scientifically and failed.
But sometimes one might not need the scientific explanation. Sometimes it is good just to be happy it works.

There is a lot of people making money out of alternative methods, some just about get by. Some people get rich. Some people are the real deal and some are just plain fraud.
If you come upon someone who disregards scientific medicine in total then move away fast. If they are not fraud wanting your money they are brainwashed instead.

There is no magic medicine. BUT, scientific medicine and alternative methods which is working together is often working great in combination. And if there is a miracle cure it is often combining scientific and alternative methods.

There is some slight differences, scientific medicine works on the symptom of the problem while some alternative methods, especially healing works on the root cause of the problem.
While scientific medicine works to mender the alternatives often work with helping your body with the self-healing process.

Then, yes, there is placebo…… Question is, what is it?
My opinion is that it is a belief strong enough to raise your own self-healing process. If this is done through the mind, collective or self-sub-consciousness or help from guardian angels or whatnot is up to everyone’s own believes.

My opinion:
Flue, stomach pains, bruces, headache etc. Alternative methods works fine and even better in combination with a pain killer.

Heart attack, stroke, brain hemorrhage – go to the emergency room. If you survive and is in for rehab you can combine it with alternative treatment.

Psychological problem: Seek help from a psychologist or in worst case a psychiatrist. Some alternative treatments can help in combination. Healing is very good treatment for anxiety of sorts, even panic anxiety.

Broken bones, fractures: Seek medical help then use alternative methods for a quicker heal time and quicker rehab.

Pass-over: This is where an alternative method like healing really shines. Due to its remarkable means of causing ease to anxiety and scares it eases the pass-over/transition. It is a wonderful gift to give to loved ones in their last moments.

Cheers,
Old 07-05-2015, 04:04   #70
Armchair Bucketeer

I use crystals to stop me getting Ebola.

Working so great I am now selling them online.....
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:04   #71
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I use crystals to stop me getting Ebola.

Working so great I am now selling them online.....
My psychic advisor told me that my friendly spirit says that the crystals only work if you wear your tinfoil hat at the same time and you stay at least 5 miles from shore for 2 years.
Old 07-05-2015, 20:19   #72

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Ginger works for sea sickness
Ginger would certainly make me feel great,

but...what would I tell Mary Ann if she found out?
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 21:24   #73

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Personally, I usually use SOS service that flies you to the states or closest major island with decent medical facilities. MASA is down here too on most all of the islands in the Caribbean. There are islands where it's ok to get medical and dental done, and others that are not. Acupuncture and stuff I wouldn't do anyways, so I didn't fill out the poll, but it's best if you know where you are and what is available on that Island and have a plan in place just in case. For instance, if I was sailing the VI and needed medical attention, I'd prefer to go to San Juan PR. I wouldn't take my dog to the hospital in St. Thomas. Bahamas, I'd go to Florida. If I was in the DR, I'd probably be ok there, and if I was in TCI, I'd go to the DR.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:29   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Meta Dalu 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

IF either my wife or I were sick while cruising and there was any traditional or Oriental medicine, acupuncture or other alternative medicine available nearby we would use that first.

Obviously if a bone is broken we would go to the emergency room at a hospital or if we had a very infectious disorder like Shingles then we would take an antiviral while treating with an alternative medicine.

Western medicine has it's place for us but it is usually at the end of the line not the beginning.

But we are vegetarians, non smoking and non drinkers also so you could classify us as super weirdos and hardly worthy of the moniker "sailors". On the other hand most landlubbers consider all "sailors" as an odd lot so I guess we are far left of the left?

completion by Peter Smith
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:36   #75

Yes, I would definitely try an alternative or natural health care while cruising. In terms of alternative health care I always bring pain reliever oil, and flacourtia indica fruit. Normally I make a fruit jam out of it and bring it along with my cruising. I discovered it when I research online those fruit jam that I could bring while cruising. And I found out that the fruit would prevent you from diarrhea, diseases like flu. Indica fruit also boost immune system because of its vitamins and minerals.

Tags
health care

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: