Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Would you use acupuncture/herbal medicine while cruising?
Yes, if I was ill 8 23.53%
Yes, as preventive medicine 13 38.24%
No way 11 32.35%
Don't know 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-04-2008, 21:58   #46

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
Alan, throughout most of our species' existence, we didn't live much past 40. Personally, I'll take what we can do over what we were meant to do any day.

p.s. although we're likely using the word 'meant' slightly differently I suspect... that's okay.

liberty16, if you prefer mythology based 'medicine' over reason based medicine, I can't really help you. "Airborne" was never FDA tested or approved. It was never part of real medicine. A sincere good luck to you and cheers.
There is a great deal of difference betwen life expectancy and the idea that people didn't live beyond 4o. There were plenty of people living to a ripe old age. There were just a lot more dying earlier. The three score of ten was what was hoped for if you didn't die of an accident or infection.
With our trend towards obesity, diabetes and heart disease, the next generation may have a reduced life expectancy,
Robert

Old 22-04-2008, 08:54   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertcateran View Post
There is a great deal of difference betwen life expectancy and the idea that people didn't live beyond 4o. There were plenty of people living to a ripe old age. There were just a lot more dying earlier. The three score of ten was what was hoped for if you didn't die of an accident or infection.
With our trend towards obesity, diabetes and heart disease, the next generation may have a reduced life expectancy,
Robert
In you include infant mortality, the number drops into the teens or early 20's. Remember, Homo Sapiens has existed since the late Lower Paleolithic (~150K ya). Most (nearly all) of our existence has been (very) harsh and short.

Old 22-04-2008, 10:04   #48

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
T34,

As I said earlier, I'm not out to convince skeptics. Just trying to provide you some info. As I am a practitioner and not a researcher, I really don't have a lot of time to look up evidence that would convince you that Oriental Medicine or Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is safe and efficacious.

Thanks for your opinion and the time you have devoted to the subject.

I am gratified and pleased that everyone has taken such an interest in this thread (both pro and con)

If you think that alternative medicine is something that you would avail yourself of (while cruising or otherwise)...great!!
If not,.... great!!

Millions of people have benefitted from acupuncture and traditional herbal medicine (both east and west). The success of this health paradigm in this country is attributable to its efficacy and patient demand.
I see the positive results in my practice everyday. Probably 90% of my patients (quite a number are skeptical at first) are helped by TCM and I'm sure that exceeds the potential placebo effect by a significant factor.

Our current health care in this country is deplorable. (What are we...27th or something?)
Consider: 47 million uninsured, an iatrogenic death rate that is downright scary, a regulating body that has been co-opted by the regulatees...
but I digress.
The poll results are encouraging and I'm sure that we could generate some income for the cruising kitty from this source... which is what I wanted to know

mm
Old 22-04-2008, 11:40   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
We can get all the Vitamins we need from our food. ...... So for me, I just come back to my own personal thought that, my Creator created me to get what I need from the Food I eat as long as I eat a balanced healthy diet. I don't need anything else and screw the Statistics.
Not quite complete - she also wants you to step out in the sun and expose a bit of skin every once in a while! :-)

And some of those vitamins are created in you for you (and not by you), so go easy on the antibiotics.
Old 22-04-2008, 11:52   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
...Or better yet, see a pretty masseuse. Same benefits, much less danger.
Depends on your wife...
Old 29-04-2008, 04:16   #51

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Not quite complete - she also wants you to step out in the sun and expose a bit of skin every once in a while! :-)

And some of those vitamins are created in you for you (and not by you), so go easy on the antibiotics.
The food modern people eat contains a lot less bitter compounds than the more wild food. There is a balance here. Modern agriculture has enabled us greater access to plenty of good food, but some of this food has had a lot of the good stuff bred out of it. I suspect, for instance: that we probably did better with more salicylates in our diet, but now we are encouraged to take half an asprin a day; There has been some recent work on bitter gourd as improving diabetes. We eat fewer greens now, and they are much more bland. Our fruit is sweeter, our corn is sweeter, much of the cattle eaten has been stuffed with grain, rather than herbage, and consequently much higher in saturated fats. As well as are addiction to the motor car, this change in our diet i suspect is adding to the obesity, heart disease and diabetes in our modern society
Robert
Old 29-04-2008, 07:41   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There does seem to be a strong inclination for fruits and veggies at the supermarket to be bred to look as 'perfect' as possible. I don't know what this does to the content, but I imagine it's (the content) not a high priority since probably the 'look' of food has the largest impact on whether or not it's purchased...

Probably good advice is: "Don't eat anything that doesn't rot".
Old 29-04-2008, 07:53   #53

Boat: Dickerson 41
real alternative

Hi all,
Most of our adult life has been spent in the third world where only the rich go to western doctors. All of that is changing. Here in Honduras the hospitals are good and western. Anyway... we always seemed to eat what the locals were eating. Interesting life! We never got sick street eating but often did going to tourist restaurants.
Mostly we stayed healthy from our simple and extremely varied diet, and lots of fish. As a consequence I haven't even had a cold in 30 years.
If all our food is the same.... Time to start growing our own!

Cap't Mike
Old 02-05-2008, 10:31   #54

Capt. Mike,

You are sooo right. I should start a thread about boat gardening

Here is a link that is both interesting and scary as hell...

This Company May Be the Biggest Threat to Your Future Health - Articles

mm
Old 02-05-2008, 10:56   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Monsanto files patent for new invention: the pig

The Earth is flat, pigs were invented by Monsanto, and genetically modified organisms are safe.

Geneva, Switzerland — It's official. Monsanto Corporation is out to own the world's food supply, the dangers of genetic engineering and reduced biodiversity notwithstanding, as they pig-headedly set about hog-tying farmers with their monopoly plans. We've discovered chilling new evidence of this in recent patents that seek to establish ownership rights over pigs and their offspring…
Goto:
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/monsanto-pig-patent-111

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:20   #56

un&*)#$%@believable!!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:51   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Dang....I better get my patent in for the cow!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 13:50   #58

Boat: Dickerson 41
We watched it till the end. Its the Robber Barons all over again. How can we stop them? How can we live with them?

OK, Karen said we are starting hydroponics tomorrow!

Cap't Mike
Old 02-05-2008, 14:59   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
It gets worse.

There are many arguments against patenting of any genetic material, mainly based upon the premise that genes are part of nature and have not been invented by anyone, thus should not be owned by anyone. The U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) has firmly rejected this notion, based upon the fact that a gene may be removed from a person, then a clone of that gene may be made in a machine; which is then not a part of nature, but a product of the lab. The PTO has made it clear that companies may indeed patent both whole genes as well as pieces of genes.

According to a 2005 study, 4,382 of all roughly 23,000 human genes are subject to American patents. That’s about 20% of all human genes!

Who owns your genes? Patenting life ~ by Micheal Crichton
Who owns your genes? - International Herald Tribune

One-Fifth of Human Genes Have Been Patented, Study Reveals
By Stefan Lovgren
One-Fifth of Human Genes Have Been Patented, Study Reveals

History of a Gene Patent
http://www.genethics.ca/personal/HistoryPatent.pdf

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 15:35   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
I agree Gord. That would be the same as someone patenting the redwood tree.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health care

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: