Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 07:16   #46

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Work as mechanic while cruising

Some countries may permit casual visitors to work and undercut locals but most will not. Depending on the specific location your plan could be a disaster. Even in the US, just hanging a sign and selling a service with no registration/licenses can create a world of trouble starting with tax evasion- sales and income. Check with local lawyers and do not gamble. One blunder could cost you many years of income.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 19:56   #47

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop
Re: Work as mechanic while cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
While I dont encourage anyone to work illegally, it is common...be discrete and work only within the cruising community and in most venues you wont have a problem.

Rates in most venues are likely lower than what you are accustom too. Ive paid $25-50 per hour mostly in the W Carib. So...40 - 20 hours per month to make $1K.

Another way to earn some cash is just "consulting" for good amateur mechanics. Example: Im a pretty good amatuer mechanic. I dont need to hire someone just to turn a wrench, but there is no substitute for pro level diagnostic experience. I used to have 2 friends who were both pro mechanics (both working under the RADAR in cruiser venues). They were way busy so I would pay them for an hour of their time just to diagnose an issue...usually took them about 10 minutes...easy money for them...huge time saver for me.
"there is no substitute for pro level diagnostic experience." This cannot be overemphasized,I've seen many parts replaced and much time expended needlessly in attempting to remedy a problem either because of ignorance of the system in question or not taking the time to think out and test the probable causes (scientific method),although there are times when the diagnostic time involved will be significant,but if it's a somewhat common problem and the odds of it being the problem are favourable, in that case I will give the one paying me a choice,with caveats, between my conjectural fix which may be at much lower cost or the more methodical,but $$$, guaranteed diagnosis and fix. It's important to be up front and clear about this. I see no reason for someone who knows what they're doing having a problem with the above and if they do you may have a problem by having them work for you.

Tags
cruising, mechanic