Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 14:30   #1

Boat: 29 phoenix The Last Hour
Why Wouldn't this Work ?

When I fielded this question to a fellow member I got kinda bashed, so I'll be more careful this time to make sure that everyone knows I'm not trying to sell something, just an idea. Also I would like to admit I'm not a cruiser yet....5-7 years till launch date. I've always been tied to powerboats(25years and 6 boats later) and hopefully soon changing to sail. I'm also relatively new to the forum. Now that all of that is out of the way.....
Why doesn't anyone ever mention network marketing (multi-level marketing). It is a business that can be done remotely, via a computer, you are always exposed to new markets to develop new teams. Maybe spend 1 month in one port and develop a team and move on to the next port and support your old teams through the computer and email. Home based business tax advantages would apply to a part of the maintenance for the boat. Needed electronics for communication would be a tax deductable expense. Mileage traveled could be a tax expense at $.55 per mile. I have a fishing friend who while we were fishing told me that he made $722 while we were fishing from his business. Other people in his downline were making money for him even when he wasn't applying his efforts. Certainly more effort results in more money, but why is it never discussed? Is the stigma of a "pyramid scheme" so strong that nobody would listen? I'm just now taking off my stubborn blinders to the concept, and mind you I am not very successful at it yet, but I do see the potential. I do see a financial vehicle that could help support me and my family while underway. I see the tax advantages even sheltering me from income from other investments. Why is it never considered?
Steve
thelasthour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 14:37   #2

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
why wouldn't this work?
The same reason why it doesn't work on land ?

-Sven
Old 05-05-2010, 14:37   #3

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
It's unethical, illegal, and does not benefit the human race.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 14:39   #4

I think the big problems you might run into would be similar to on land. Problems marketing it, maintaining your "downline", etc. And then of course, connectivity problems if you travel to areas with less-than-stellar internet service.
The stigma is probably part of it too. I've never been asked to join one that didn't seem like a scam, it seems like a flawed business model to me. But the good ones may be out there somewhere.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 14:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Disclaimer. My comments and opinions are based on my experiences but there may be network marketing deals that are different. So, don't get offended if you have the real deal.

I doubt you will get many positive responses for network marketing on this forum. Most network marketing deals are just slightly disguised pyramid schemes and focus more on getting fees and membership payments from your network than actual sales of a product.

Eventually the pyramid collapses when you can't get more people to sign on to your network. The one that started the network makes money and everyone down the line that paid to get in get screwed.

As you may guess, in general I'm against them.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 14:42   #6

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Ambit Energy, an electric company operating here in Texas does this. Their sales agents recruit and train agents. Each one gets a kickback of the other's commission for some period of time. It can't be THAT profitable though because all these people seem to have two jobs. My coworker that signed me up didn't bother to keep up with it for even a year. My account defaulted to her trainer.

Some insurance agencies and brokerage firms operate somewhat like this as well, but those guys have to be networking and selling all the time. I really don't know that there's really too many legitimate businesses that follow this model.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 14:46   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthour View Post
Why is it never considered?
Steve
Not intended as rude , but probably folks out cruising on boats less gullible than others?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 14:51   #8

I have a boat neighbor that does MLM / network marketing. He's a nice guy, but I'm always kind of offended at the idea that he thinks I'm gullable enough to sign up for the offers. I've known him for a few years, and have seen him roll through various different schemes, each one being the holy grail because it was founded by [insert some guy's name here]. The conference calls and webinars, the polo shirts, etc.

Nice guy, but I'd rather hang out with the sport fishing boat captains as at least I can learn something from them.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 16:01   #9

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
'cause if you screw over the right sailor you might end multi-level diving off the back of his boat 100 miles out.
Old 05-05-2010, 17:27   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Rebel, would you mind bringing over the dock step for me? I have an Amway deal for you...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 17:55   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
It's wrong, dishonest, dysfunctional, non-productive, and just the sort of slimy stress inducing non job that I am going to try really hard to avoid while away from reality
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 19:12   #12

Boat: 29 phoenix The Last Hour
Well, thanks for the CANDID feedback. It's interesting the resistance to this type of business model. The same resistance that I felt until now. But I now have a different perspective, and while I have a different perspective I respect all of the opinions offered.
It took a little while for me to get over the "pyramid scheme" of sorts. I needed someone from another MLM company to describe to me that almost all business models are network marketing. He then applied it to my industry "restaurant business". In our restaurant we don't advertise commercially, only locally with sponsorships of little league teams and church donations, biker runs, etc. We save our advertising dollars to spend it with the people that eat in our restaurant in our own community. We also employ a person to go to other businesses and give out free samples to promote our business, and the same with all of the hotels. My restaurant is part of a franchise because the company was not financially strong enough to grow on its own capital. It is the same thing as Network marketing. Individuals actiing as distributors (franchisees) and spreading good will about a product through word of mouth instead of commercial advertising. It is a lower risk option for companies to bring their product to the marketplace.
So if you got over the giant obstacle of "pyramid scheme, unethical, illegal etc business" would it work? Is Rebel's neighbor making his slip/boat payment with it? Donald Trump just started an MLM with cell phones. He can't be an idiot. Sprint long distance did it for years.
thelasthour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 19:23   #13

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthour View Post
So if you got over the giant obstacle of "pyramid scheme, unethical, illegal etc business" would it work?
Yes, of course !

It is such a great idea that I don't think you should post about it here where others can read about and steal your idea. We only said "no" so we could get set up and beat you to the puch but I'll sell you half my franchise. To sweeten the deal I'll only ask for the up-front cash and no percentage of your profits.

-Sven
Old 05-05-2010, 20:04   #14

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
The Stigma will be your main deterrent, this model does and has works. It does take a certain group of people to make is successful, and if the right product is being pushed, I don't see why you couldn't make it work.

The issue might be with the geographical area you are traveling and the product that is being sold. Having a product that is that global might be tough to find.

I have been involved with plans that are scams and others that work, the ones that work rely heavily on everyone else involved, which is the part that doesn't work for me, I can trust my hard work will pay off for me, but when I have to count on a team to produce for me to get paid, well I would want to be more hands on then just an email away.

I have owed a business and can show on paper, the change in productivity of my staff from when I am present to when I am gone. They were all great employees but it was my business so I pushed more, when i was gone they did things at their own rate.

Good luck if you can make it work for you and this isn't a known scam, more power to you.
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 20:53   #15

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Gary Indiana Gary Indiana Gary Indiana
tager is offline   Reply With Quote