Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2012, 13:50   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Which Type of Cruising Work ?

Although I have searched on the forum. My question is more specific. I am an Engineer/Machinist by trade. I have TIG welding skills. I also have an interest in canvas work. I figured for little investment, I could buy a "nice" walking foot machine and do canvas work and "minor" sail repair.
So my question is...How much request, while out cruising is there for a) Stainless Steel repair and b) for canvas and sail repair?
Also I realize the problem with doing this on the down low in a foreign country but I'm sure a little would go relatively undetected.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 14:50   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Which type of cruising work?

i think the trade you need is A/C refrigeration-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 15:02   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
----I realize the problem with doing this on the down low in a foreign country but I'm sure a little would go relatively undetected.
In my experience the locals usually know exactly what goes on in their harbors. Whether they do anything about it varies. Of course if you are welding something for the Capitan you will probably be golden, especially if you're the only welder around.
Old 20-02-2012, 17:27   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

People I know who work while cruising do the following (in no particular order): AC/refrigeration, electrical/electronics, wood work, canvas work, sail repair, rigging, mechanic, fiberglass work, nursing. Others who do remote "knowledge work": technical writing, programming, web page design, graphic arts, etc.

Also, a lot of part-time cruisers out there who go back and work for a few months.

Welding and machine work are certainly relevant skills, but you need some pretty heavy gear for much of this type of work.

How much work you can get away with on the side depends on the venue.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 17:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Welding and machine work are certainly relevant skills, but you need some pretty heavy gear for much of this type of work.

Amazingly, I have watched the porta-TIG's get smaller and smaller. About the size of a PC tower on it's side and 25 lbs., capable of 3/16" SS. Of course there is the hassle of a gas cylinder and a Honda EU 2000 generator to power it. I'm not sure of the power needed for a sewing machine but I doubt it's a lot. Possibly you could adapt it to 12 volt DC with a vari-drive speed control.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-02-2012, 18:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Amazingly, I have watched the porta-TIG's get smaller and smaller. About the size of a PC tower on it's side and 25 lbs., capable of 3/16" SS. Of course there is the hassle of a gas cylinder and a Honda EU 2000 generator to power it. I'm not sure of the power needed for a sewing machine but I doubt it's a lot. Possibly you could adapt it to 12 volt DC with a vari-drive speed control.
better to keep all your tools 220-240 v and 50 hz,as that is what most of the world uses
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 19:29   #7

Excellent point
Old 20-02-2012, 20:16   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive been able to get work most everywhere Ive been over the years with my diesel mechanics skills,also welding both gas (brazeing cast for folks a lot) and electric welding with an old miller, and my on board genny. works for me still justa thought Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 23:51   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Aren't the Sailrite sewers 12 volts?

Porta-TIGs are the way I will go. With a steel boat and plenty of juice, I would be missing an opportunity for myself and potential customers if I didn't have the ability to repair brackets, mounts, padeyes and related small metal items.

I already have the Honda 2000...I was using it today to drill beams for an engine gantry!

I agree that A/C and reefers (or "greefers" as I've taken to calling them) are a great source of work. So bring a flange tool and a list of parts suppliers.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 11:09   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Aren't the Sailrite sewers 12 volts? .
Not the ones I've seen, but I do have friends who run them via an inverter on their boat and their solar panel configuration (only about 100W I think) keeps up.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 11:58   #11

Boat: 1984 Pearson 34, Sirena
Re: Which Type of Cruising Work ?

I was going to go the refrigeration route until one of the locals here told me there were 4 refrigeration mechanics in the area. I've been trying out ideas to make money while cruising. It seems very hard to make money while unplugged from a home base. I'm going to need at least $5,000 US per year more than I have. Anyone out there make that in part time work while cruising?

Dale
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 12:12   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
I was going to go the refrigeration route until one of the locals here told me there were 4 refrigeration mechanics in the area. I've been trying out ideas to make money while cruising. It seems very hard to make money while unplugged from a home base. I'm going to need at least $5,000 US per year more than I have. Anyone out there make that in part time work while cruising?

Dale
mobile beach parties!,all you need is an amp, speakers,portable genset and computer or ipod!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 12:17   #13

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post

Dale
If you have a valid captains license you can hire yourself out to the charter boat companies that run day sails or runabout, center consoles thru the hotels. In the U S Virgins and Puerto Rico.
All the best
Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 12:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Not the ones I've seen, but I do have friends who run them via an inverter on their boat and their solar panel configuration (only about 100W I think) keeps up.
I think that is a good choice as well, going with the inverter. I tend to shy away from Chinese made anything, so I doubt I would do a Sailrite. probably a smaller Phaff with inverter.
Old 21-02-2012, 12:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
mobile beach parties!,all you need is an amp, speakers,portable genset and computer or ipod!
...and a liquor license...

Tags
cruising