Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2014, 14:27   #1

Question Where to put houseboat if you have no mooring for it?

I can get a great deal on a houseboat in the Vancouver, BC area, but I'm not sure where I could put it. I don't plan on living on it; I thought I could just put it on AirBnB (after putting solar panels, etc on it and making it off grid), as well as hangout on it with family and friends.

Could I anchor it out in the Salish Sea or the Strait of Georgia with 2 or 3 anchors or do I have to moor it in a marina, mooring buoy/field, dock or something? Are there limits to how long a houseboat could stay at on one of those? Sorry, I'm very new at all this, be easy on me :P

Thanks,
Mike
MikeAndMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 15:43   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Where to put houseboat if you have no mooring for it?

It will be a lot more convenient to use it if you keep it at a marina. And you will have electric power available to keep the boat warm or cool, the refrigerator cold and the batteries charged.
Old 22-12-2014, 17:05   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If your new to the boating thing, I'd definitely start in a Marina. Just taking the wife out to eat is a whole different level when a dinghy is involved as opposed to just stepping on the dock.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 17:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If your new to the boating thing, I'd definitely start in a Marina. Just taking the wife out to eat is a whole different level when a dinghy is involved as opposed to just stepping on the dock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It will be a lot more convenient to use it if you keep it at a marina. And you will have electric power available to keep the boat warm or cool, the refrigerator cold and the batteries charged.
Thanks for the replies. My girlfriend and I aren't too worried about the dinghying in and out as we won't be living on it, or the inconvenience. We were just wondering if we could avoid marinas and anchor it out in the Straight of Georgie and how long one could anchor there.
MikeAndMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 18:27   #5

Boat: hunter 376

There is no anchorage in the strait itself, to deep, and unprotected. There are a number of sheltered anchorages available in some areas around Vancouver, many of them crowded with "derelicts" many of them wash ashore after a wind storm. You need a permit to anchor in False creek, and there is a limit to how long you can stay. You can't just use multiple anchors for a permanent or semi permanent anchorage, you need a proper mooring anchor and buoy, something which can be very expensive, and may need a permit in some areas. Deep Bay, on Bowen may be a good bet, just a short ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay. You may wish to consider a marina, though, as posted by others. Just that much easier, more secure, power to keep mold and mildew at bay, ect. ect. Good Luck.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 04:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, MikeAndMichelle.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring