Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 00:33   #1

Where to place my kids...

My young son and daughter are both about to leave school (16 and 17yrs). Ben is dyslexic and hands on. Georgina is very social and a big organiser at the yacht club. They're both sailors ( dinghy, keelboat racing and cruising) and keen to work in an industry that allows them close association to sailing. We can afford to support them through an internship or work experience for a year or two... but we're in New Zealand and I'm wondering what opportunities may exist elsewhere in the world... ie crewing on expedition yacht or helping with deliveries....or working somehow on sailboats.
I'm really just looking to expand my thinking before organising a more traditional entry to boat building industry... sailmaking.... rigging.... etc
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:17   #2

Re: Where to place my kids...

Ideally I’d like to set them both loose sailing for a year... maybe crewing on some kind of working sailboat...building some miles or helping with a restoration project...in a safe environment of course.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:35   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

What I'd give for my parents to have been like you
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:42   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

A friend's kid gained experience and a resume by:
1. volunteering then working at the local sailing camp
2. Volunteering on a large sailing ship that bounces between USA and Europe

Now he has credentials and pretty much gets on whichever boat and tour he wishes. Bastage.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:27   #5

It might be a good idea to put them on a RYA crew course. Then they could apply for jobs with their qualification through an agency.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:42   #6

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

.in a safe environment of course.

Of course - but how are you going to know that?? Really know that? Mmmm??

You asked, so I guess you are looking for answers. Your kids, your business. I've been a Dad for 50 years, 4 sons over a wide age range so I think I,m qualified. Personally, I would not send my 16 ..
Forget that. FIRST. What do they want to do? Forget what you want. What do they want? if they have enough gumption to be sent thousands of miles away from home to a pretty unstructured environment, then they probably have enough nous to sort out what they want for themselves. They should be totally leading this - you just facilitate where you can genuinely improve things. You might find this hard to swallow but later in life you will find that what you want for them is pretty irrelevant. They are not you. They are themselves.
And anyway, 18 has to be the absolute minimum age at which they should be thinking of travelling so far from home & so far from support. Til then, do something local - at least within New Zealand.
Please, dont send them off to fulfil your own dreams. They will be gone soon enough now anyway.
Sorry mate, but you did ask....
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:42   #7
Marine Service Provider

First send them off for a week or longer on a sail training ship. Spirit of New Zealand is the obvious local one and then moving up to the next level they could do the STI Tall Ships Race around Europe for an international experience which they will remember for the rest of their lives. They will love it. Browse the list of organisations entered and apply to get on one of their yachts or sailing ships.

Whilst in europe a series of RYA courses in the solent to learn about tidal navigation (starting with day skipper and doing each theory course before the practiccal, working up to yachtmaster).

Realistically even deckhands are expected to have a yachtmaster to get their foot in the door of the superyacht industry, which has more to do with cleaning and varnishing that it has to do with sailing, but it's also a great experience at that age.

To get into the superyacht industry (after getting a yachtmaster) go to Antibes in the south of France. It's the hub of the crewing industry. Stay in a "crew house" which is like a big backpackers full of unemployed yacht crew. Great fun. Walk the docks getting day work for cash until you impress a captain or pick up a few references. Most of the world's big crew agencies are based there and everyone talks. After you establish a good reputation and make yourself know there then you'll eventually get a good job on a superyacht, which is well paid, hard work and doesn't involve any sailing, but you'll get to travel the world.

Of all the above, doing the Tall Ships' Race around Europe is the #1 thing they MUST do!

Until they reach superyacht crew level, the above will all need to be funded by the bank of Mum and Dad, but consider it an investment, it'll be the best education they ever have.
chris14679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:31   #8

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
And anyway, 18 has to be the absolute minimum age at which they should be thinking of travelling so far from home & so far from support. ..
I think this depends on you and them and their maturity level but, finding someone willing to take on a minor might be difficult as laws in many countries are very restrictive when it comes to them.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:37   #9
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
18 has to be the absolute minimum age at which they should be thinking of travelling so far from home & so far from support
That's just insane!

Mollycoddling kids is really doing them **no** favors.

I spent my summers from 14yo in working "apprenticeships" overseas, made good money, had lots of fun and learned a lot.

If your kids aren't 100% ready on their 18th birthday to be dropped into anyplace on this planet that isn't war-zone dangerous and stand on their own two feet, you're doing it wrong.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:38   #10

Boat: been sitting it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
What I'd give for my parents to have been like you
what John said!

Bravo to a fantastic parent! Hope you find something good!!!
Old 11-06-2019, 09:43   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where to place my kids...

I would suggest here.. hands on experience dealing with kids from all walks of life and also disabilities.
https://www.islandcruisingclub.com/
Did a season and a half with them as Boat Master and loved it, sadly personality clashes led to us parting.
But regardless its a beautiful project and RYA approved so they will get experience and qualifications.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:18   #12

Quote:
.in a safe environment of course.

Of course - but how are you going to know that?? Really know that? Mmmm??

You asked, so I guess you are looking for answers. Your kids, your business. I've been a Dad for 50 years, 4 sons over a wide age range so I think I,m qualified. Personally, I would not send my 16 ..
Forget that. FIRST. What do they want to do? Forget what you want. What do they want? if they have enough gumption to be sent thousands of miles away from home to a pretty unstructured environment, then they probably have enough nous to sort out what they want for themselves. They should be totally leading this - you just facilitate where you can genuinely improve things. You might find this hard to swallow but later in life you will find that what you want for them is pretty irrelevant. They are not you. They are themselves.
And anyway, 18 has to be the absolute minimum age at which they should be thinking of travelling so far from home & so far from support. Til then, do something local - at least within New Zealand.
Please, dont send them off to fulfil your own dreams. They will be gone soon enough now anyway.
Sorry mate, but you did ask....
16yo vs 18yo can be very different. I know 16 year olds I'd be happy to crew for on a transat, and 18 year olds I wouldn't trust with a pool noodle in the shallow end.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:34   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

https://www.sailcargo.org/#intro

Home - Class Afloat

https://www.barkeuropa.com/

...just to name a few...
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:11   #14

Is a university out of the question?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Is a university out of the question?
It is for now. Maybe if they want later but neither kid is showing interest in anything academic...
Ideal would be a sailing academy if there is one that has a structured and practical pathway to RYA quals and delivers to youth.
Georgina did Spirit of NZ and Blake aspire in NZ this year. We could potentially place her with NZ sailing trust for some crewing on Steinlager NZ in their tourism operations and she's definitely looking for a place on Maiden in the next phase after we went to Auckland and saw them off last weekend..
I understand age concerns. We're not reckless and conscious of age being a barrier. Whatever happens it will be well researched with safety nets in place... just looking to fill gap years with sailing opportunities.... Tall ships race sounds interesting...

Tags
kids