Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 11:57   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Where to place my kids...

Just turn them loose. If you have not got them conditioned and indoctrinated by the time they leave primary school you can forget it, their peers will cancel out any influence you might have.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:58   #17

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

As an early learner, went to sea at 14 to escape a violent home life, ebded up with a 200 ton Masters ticket in the US after 20 years of sea time on the Canadian west coast, and never looked back!
Started my own delivery business in San Diego and worked it until retirement. Sold up about 10 years ago and had a life few could even imagine.
Throw ‘em out and let them learn to paddle their own canoe!
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:59   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where to place my kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would suggest here.. hands on experience dealing with kids from all walks of life and also disabilities.
https://www.islandcruisingclub.com/
Did a season and a half with them as Boat Master and loved it, sadly personality clashes led to us parting.
But regardless its a beautiful project and RYA approved so they will get experience and qualifications.
Oh.. and its a working environment with accomadation, food and minimum wage as member of staff or instructor.
Were a couple of Aussies there during my time.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:11   #19

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Doing something like you describe will no doubt lead to multiple major memories for them - and also be some degree formative of who they become in later life.

I'd say be cautious of potential bad experiences, feelings of being a complete fish out of water, loneliness, etc. It's a great opportunity for them, and if they don't do something like this now, there will of course likely never be a better time. It would be great for them to think that any particular plan is mainly their own, if possible. Good luck to them, and it's great that you are able to help them out in this way.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 13:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Oh.. and its a working environment with accomadation, food and minimum wage as member of staff or instructor.
Were a couple of Aussies there during my time.
Thanks boatman. Definitely look at this one.
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 13:50   #21

Te Taua Moana o Aotearoa,

The Royal New Zealand Navy of the New Zealand Defense Force has numerous career opportunities:

RNZN - Navy Careers

https://www.defencecareers.mil.nz/apply

One must be at least 17 years of age.

"Our personnel make a positive difference to the world. While you’re in the Navy you might find yourself doing any of the following tasks:

Contributing to regional security and defence on board an ANZAC frigate in the Pacific or South-East Asia.
Patrolling our coasts to protect our fisheries and border security.
Being a peacekeeper in the Middle-East, Korea, East-Timor or elsewhere in the world.
Providing humanitarian support or disaster relief aid wherever a community needs help"
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 14:00   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmal View Post
Thanks boatman. Definitely look at this one.
Yes, when I saw Boatie's first post, I thought, Wow, that'd be hard to beat! Good luck with it, especially for your kids.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:04   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Te Taua Moana o Aotearoa,

The Royal New Zealand Navy of the New Zealand Defense Force has numerous career opportunities:

RNZN - Navy Careers

https://www.defencecareers.mil.nz/apply

One must be at least 17 years of age.

"Our personnel make a positive difference to the world. While you’re in the Navy you might find yourself doing any of the following tasks:

Contributing to regional security and defence on board an ANZAC frigate in the Pacific or South-East Asia.
Patrolling our coasts to protect our fisheries and border security.
Being a peacekeeper in the Middle-East, Korea, East-Timor or elsewhere in the world.
Providing humanitarian support or disaster relief aid wherever a community needs help"
Thanks Montanan
We spoke with some naval officers at a Chch recruiting expo a few weeks ago. Might be on the horizon but we're looking for short term roles and opportunities to help them grow and enjoy a bit of sailing in the meantime.
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:36   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

You've got a whopping advantage in that you can support them minimally. That means that they can volunteer, rather than compete for jobs. I was always able to place students in wonderful internships that didn't even exist by saying to a professional friend "And we can pay for her.." They start looking for space when they hear that. Then, good volunteers become valued volunteers become valued employees, as if by magic.
Old 17-06-2019, 07:50   #25
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

I don't know if the rules in NZ are the same as they are here in the US with regards to ages, but once my kids were 18 they were legally allowed to do much more, and were able to be hired by a lot more places.

I'm always a fan of kids working and learning how to earn, but I'd definitely scale it to an age-appropriate level just from a legality point of view. I'd keep them local and see how they did the first year. It's a lot harder to rescue a kid who has gotten themselves into trouble when they're continents away. Once they show you they can handle independence locally, scale it up.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 08:06   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to Hyde Far East

Send them to the Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology - Adventure Tourism course .... year one is a certificate level and year two a diploma level. .... still leaves opportunity to go on to university or do the Super Yacht Block course which is I think only 3 months or less ..... my daughter did it and is now working as a Kayak guide ..... the skills and experiences .., risk management motivating people how to endure hard ship etc etc are a fantastic base for life
Hyde Far East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 08:12   #27

Have to agree with RSD. Wherever your kids are you need to be able to get to them fast. That influenced the University my daughter went to in the UK. It needed to have direct daily flights from where we live in Spain. Never needed to rush over, but it was an easy way for her to come over for the weekend or for my wife to visit her.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:12   #28
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
I'd keep them local and see how they did the first year. It's a lot harder to rescue a kid who has gotten themselves into trouble when they're continents away. Once they show you they can handle independence locally, scale it up.
For my crops, that was taken care of long before they approached puberty.

Once past 18 there should be no need of "rushing to rescue", unless in the other direction.

Both my spawn once legal, and my rents are / were many thousands of miles away 90% of the time.

Postponing adolescence far into adulthood, again is **really** not doing them any favours.

IMO
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 21:43   #29

NZMAL...
I greet you for your way of thinking, top what you want to do with your kids.

Please take a look to this option from middle, high or college school kids
https://www.gobroadreach.com/

Good luck, fair winds
migaguiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 09:31   #30

Boat: Cal 33

It was probably mentioned but I would have loved to have known that Maine Maritime school was an available option to me as a college option.
My friends two kids went there and had high paying jobs right out of school. It wouldn't have been about money for me but it would have jumpstarted my boating career. Great parents, lucky kids. See you in 2021 for the cup .
captainwoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids