Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2013, 18:26   #16

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
A non-US citizen CAN own a US documented boat, if it is used only for recreation (not freight or commercial fishing). The boat must be titled in the name of a US corporation. A majority of the directors (can be just one director) , the chairman of the board and the CEO have to be US citizens. Citizenship of the shareholders is irrelevant. Other officers, such as the Treasurer or Secretary do not need to be US citizens. I set this up and provide the corporation and the nominees. Caveat: you are not my client until you sign a retainer and pay the fee. Not trying to solicit business, just telling you its not complicated to do. BVI, Panama etc. are fun but you usually have to get a survey done by an agent of that country, and the fees are high. US is easier and cheaper than the flags of convenience.
Most boat brokers or documentation companies learn by rote. They rarely understand WHY behind the rules.
Old 20-11-2013, 18:36   #17

Boat: Valiant 42
Walk through a marina in Turkey and you will see many boats with hailing port in Delaware and US flags. It can be done with the help of firms in the US.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 18:56   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: What documents do i need ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
find a document service such as dona jenkins. ask her company . they are intelligent and helpful documentation service in san diego. they are also online.
I used this company when going to Baja Sur for some sort of permits,did it myself the next time I went ,it was a nightmare,used her serves from there on out..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 19:28   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: What Documents do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
A non-US citizen CAN own a US documented boat, if it is used only for recreation (not freight or commercial fishing). The boat must be titled in the name of a US corporation. A majority of the directors (can be just one director) , the chairman of the board and the CEO have to be US citizens. Citizenship of the shareholders is irrelevant. Other officers, such as the Treasurer or Secretary do not need to be US citizens. I set this up and provide the corporation and the nominees. Caveat: you are not my client until you sign a retainer and pay the fee. Not trying to solicit business, just telling you its not complicated to do. BVI, Panama etc. are fun but you usually have to get a survey done by an agent of that country, and the fees are high. US is easier and cheaper than the flags of convenience.
Most boat brokers or documentation companies learn by rote. They rarely understand WHY behind the rules.
Well, to clarify just a little.

From the USCG website USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Fee Page

1. WHAT VESSELS MAY BE DOCUMENTED?
A vessel must measure at least five net tons and, with the exception of certain oil spill response vessels, must be wholly owned by a citizen of the U.S.

OR

2, HOW DO I ESTABLISH U.S. CITIZENSHIP?
Citizenship is established by completion of form CG-1258. In addition to individuals, corporations, partnerships, and other entities capable of holding legal title may be deemed citizens for documentation purposes. Corporations must be registered in a state or the U.S; the chief executive officer and chairman of the board of directors must be U.S. citizens, and no more than a minority of the number of directors necessary to constitute a quorum may be non-citizens. In addition, at least 75% of the stock must be vested in U.S. citizens for a coastwise or fisheries endorsement.

So unless I misunderstand, a US corporation owning a vessel to be , documented the BOD must be a majority US citizens, leaving the actual boat owner a minority member of the corporation that holds title to his/her boat. I would be a bit nervous buying a vessel in a foreign country under a foreign corporation that left me as a minority owner.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 19:31   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr2501 View Post
I have one question that troubles me.
As Europian citizen can i buy the boat in Mexico and get the American flag. I have asked around and i have got answers like i can not because i am not American citizen. Is it true? And where can i get a list what documents are needed to register boat in America (or Mexico) and what other requirements do i have to fulfil?
I'm a Brit living in the USA and there as a' legal alien' with a permanent resident's visa or green card WEe bought one US boat and sold it to buy another a year later, both boats were US documented and therefore US flagged , but in both case the boats were registered in my wife's name as she is a US citizen and can whilst I as a brit cannot. No different when we lived in the UK ,our boats there were British registered in my name, she could not be a registered 'owner as a non British citizen.
why do you want to be US flagged? what is wrong with your own home country registration and flag, US flag makes you a bigger target for nutters anyway and as I understand it you have no m ore rights than you have under your own citizenship, either in the US or elsewhere .

YOU COULD possibly Form a US company to purchase the boat and document it as a US vessel, but I think you might have to have a US citizen on the board of directors so back to square one.

AS others have said a good broker and/or a title agency will give you the best advice. WE used Gloria rector Title services in Florida see here http://http://www.janebeale.com/ and Jane Beale is the one to ask.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 06:30   #21

Boat: Corbin 39

I can not register boat in Slovenia (EU) if i am sailing somewhere across Pacific.
(no registration if i do not come to Slovenia)
Sorry because i did not make the point from beginning in my first post about this topic (take a look at post #6 pleas).
pr2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 08:59   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr2501 View Post
I can not register boat in Slovenia (EU) if i am sailing somewhere across Pacific.
(no registration if i do not come to Slovenia)
Sorry because i did not make the point from beginning in my first post about this topic (take a look at post #6 pleas).
Is not Slovenia in the EU. Previous post suggested any EU member can easily register their boat in Belgium. No VAT due unless you bring the boat back to the EU. Problem solved.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 18:56   #23

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Hi skipmac, you do misunderstand.
The citizenship of the shareholders is immaterial.
Old 22-11-2013, 05:40   #24

Thank You
Old 22-11-2013, 06:14   #25

It's your decision but when the boat is registered in a non-European country, we needs a Post Construction Assessment, only delivered by a few European Authorities. There is no Authority in Slovenia but you ask it to Bureau Veritas - Varna Bulgaria. The cost can be € 10.000 .... It is maybe better to let the boat registered in America.

Above is from: Home | Shipregistration.be

So i have look more.

Tags
men