Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2015, 19:25   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Oregon Coast & Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: Lagoon 420
Posts: 72
What about selling "lodging only" from a Cat?

Hey All!

I'm 15 days away from a real estate deal once closed allows me to begin a serious, checkbook-ready exploration of the cruising cat's I've been spying for several months.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of ports or regions in the cruising worlds - carib, med, Australia, thailand, anywhere - that would be feasible place to rent my two guest berths to overnight guests in a 44-46 owners verion cat, say, a Helia or Lagoon 450, owners version (let's make this cozy)

I'm curious if anyone knows an intelligent way this could be done legally, wisely? I suppose most marina's will simply say no, so this would mean shuttling guests to boat on the hook.

I don't have a captain's license yet, although will be enrolling in CG 6 pac classes soon. However, I'm still on the fence about operating a full charter service. In asking about operating as a floating bnb I am seeking alternative income options. I may just want to bypass the liability, head-aches, logistics of captaining my boat as charter. However, I'd still like to make a little money, meet some interesting people, and do it small scale.

I have experience running a b and b in the usa and think there will be many similarities between renting berths when I'm in a particular port, and selling bedrooms on land for transient lodgers. I would probably book through VRBO, airbnb type sites.

I'd be curious if anyone knows about such a limited commercial operation.

Thanks for your time and thoughts!
__________________

__________________
psychfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 19:39   #2
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,828
Images: 4
Re: What about selling "lodging only" from a Cat?

Maybe check with local laws. In the US its easy to vrbo or air bnb your boat. My understanding is many countries you need a local business partner to do this. Also maybe check on the Grenada cruisers group, or Caribbean cruiser.groups on Facebook.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 20:11   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 143
Re: What about selling "lodging only" from a Cat?

Check boatbound.com.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:55   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Alameda
Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti
Posts: 275
Re: What about selling "lodging only" from a Cat?

at USA west coast harbormaster didn't like airbnd your boat.. I know more than a couple boats kicked out the marina for this matter..
Now if you're rented an slip for a couple week and want to sub lease a cabin.. I don't know.. could work...
Anyway, could me more hassle than reward..
__________________
En medio de la noche, sigo siendo luz...
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 19:49   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,948
Re: What about selling "lodging only" from a Cat?

Have you considered buying a less espensive boat and thus not needing to produce additional income?
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 20:18   #6
Registered User
 
ozskipper's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW Australia
Boat: Traditional 30
Posts: 1,981
Re: What about selling "lodging only" from a Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychfeld View Post
Hey All!

I'm 15 days away from a real estate deal once closed allows me to begin a serious, checkbook-ready exploration of the cruising cat's I've been spying for several months.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of ports or regions in the cruising worlds - carib, med, Australia, thailand, anywhere - that would be feasible place to rent my two guest berths to overnight guests in a 44-46 owners verion cat, say, a Helia or Lagoon 450, owners version (let's make this cozy)

I'm curious if anyone knows an intelligent way this could be done legally, wisely? I suppose most marina's will simply say no, so this would mean shuttling guests to boat on the hook.

I don't have a captain's license yet, although will be enrolling in CG 6 pac classes soon. However, I'm still on the fence about operating a full charter service. In asking about operating as a floating bnb I am seeking alternative income options. I may just want to bypass the liability, head-aches, logistics of captaining my boat as charter. However, I'd still like to make a little money, meet some interesting people, and do it small scale.

I have experience running a b and b in the usa and think there will be many similarities between renting berths when I'm in a particular port, and selling bedrooms on land for transient lodgers. I would probably book through VRBO, airbnb type sites.

I'd be curious if anyone knows about such a limited commercial operation.

Thanks for your time and thoughts!
Aussie laws require all commercial vessels to be in Commercial Survey. The laws are quite restrictive for anyone wanting to casually hire their personal boat out.

Developing countries would be better options for this kind of thing.
__________________
Cheers
Oz
...............
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 21:13   #7
JKP
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Washington, DC
Boat: In 15 years hopefully a Lagoon 44
Posts: 28
Re: What about selling "lodging only" from a Cat?

Great idea as my wife and I actually looked at doing the same thing this year when we moved to Washington D.C. (cheaper and more sqft than buying on land). Most of the marinas here weren't too affable to the concept, but if you are a livaboard then how can they restrict from having "visitors"?!

I've heard that there is also a guy or couple that owns a 44ish FP near Annapolis that rents on Boatbound, but will also do custom extended stay. However, the prices they are asking are more expensive than a moorings charter in the Caribbean with all food and top shelf boos included (equivalent to your first born child).
__________________
JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:55   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,878
Re: What about selling "lodging only" from a Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Great idea as my wife and I actually looked at doing the same thing this year when we moved to Washington D.C. (cheaper and more sqft than buying on land). Most of the marinas here weren't too affable to the concept, but if you are a livaboard then how can they restrict from having "visitors"?!
Easy, they casually ask a "visitor" how they found about about you then go online and find the advertisement. Even without asking a little googling and it won't be hard to find.

Shortly thereafter they invoke the contract you signed that says you aren't to run a commercial enterprise without prior approval and tell you to leave immediately or charge you the commercials slip rates at 2-3 times the rate for non-commercial.

Check with your insurance while you are at it. They may not take kindly to a commercial operation without commercial insurance and they probably won't distinguish between sitting at the dock and going out on the water. If your "visitor" breaks a leg, they are likely to say sorry but you didn't buy the commercial insurance that would cover customer injuries.

It can and is done but with the owner taking significant risk.
__________________
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:05   #9
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: What about selling "lodging only" from a Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Aussie laws require all commercial vessels to be in Commercial Survey. The laws are quite restrictive for anyone wanting to casually hire their personal boat out.

Developing countries would be better options for this kind of thing.
Plus the boat must pay Australian duty of 15% of the value of the boat on arrival in Australia, or before the boat is advertised as being for charter.

The skipper would need a commercial license.
__________________

__________________
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AIS "B" receive only "hack" for $20 jolly jack tar Navigation 6 14-05-2014 09:31
Strickly Sail Oakland Lodging montenido Fishing, Recreation & Fun 2 07-04-2013 19:16
"recent price reduction""owner anxious""bring all offers" sailorboy1 Dollars & Cents 10 22-01-2009 12:25
Lodging for the 32rd America's Cup in Valencia? vedouze Europe & Mediterranean 0 03-01-2006 03:37



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:18.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.