Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2015, 20:03   #16

Boat: Elco Marinette 27'
Re: Website for your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
You can use a lot of blog-based sites as static sites as well. Wordpress for example, allows you to make "pages" that are static and to set the site url to go to a designated page rather than the blog. That way you don't have to keep up the regular posts but can still have a site with cool bells and whistles and galleries and whatnot.

Here's one I built out of wordpress for a small magazine I work on. T8N Magazine. It's all plugins and free theme stuff. The only issue is that you can't use the plugins on a free wordpress.com site, so you are looking at $6–8/month to host it. But you could definitely do something less gimicky on wordpress.com.
that's a cool site and not too expensive when you get so much for the low monthly fee. Looks very professional!
Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 20:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
Indeed there is FB, but call me a Luddite and old cynic, I always remember the old saying:
If you're not paying for it you're not the customer, you're the commodity.
I'm with you here. I don't know what it is, but I've never done Facebook, even though everyone I know is on it...just doesn't seem right...but I'm also old fashioned. Forums are a big step for me, too! LOL
Old 13-01-2015, 20:37   #18

Boat: Lafitte 44

Another vote for WordPress. It gives you lots of freedom of design, while keeping it simple. You can make it as complicated or 90's as you want.
Old 13-01-2015, 20:59   #19

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

I did use Wordpress, but when I tried to change the URL to my own domain name, it wiped everything out, so I went to Blogger.

Eventually, I will switch to a non blog type site.

When I named my boat, I wanted to find a name that wasn't common, and that I could get the .com domain for.
You can buy your own domain name for less than $10 per year, and it's usually cheaper if you prepay for several years.

Once you have your own domain name, you can switch servers all you want, and your address will always be the same. You can keep with the free ones, or switch to a paid service, just keep all your files and pages backed up.

I haven't done such a great job keeping up with my site though, since I haven't had any time to work on her restoration.

www.Travelnik.com
Old 13-01-2015, 21:34   #20

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

C'mon now, what is special about your boat?
Cruisersforum lets you have a photo gallery.
Old 14-01-2015, 06:10   #21

Boat: Lafitte 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
I did use Wordpress, but when I tried to change the URL to my own domain name, it wiped everything out, so I went to Blogger.

Eventually, I will switch to a non blog type site.......

Wordpress is a platform (read software) that many hosting companies offer. The ease or not of using your own URL is more up to the hosting company, not a function of the underlying software. I use Bluehost, and had no issues setting up my own URL.
Old 14-01-2015, 06:16   #22

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I started one with blogger before I found out about wordpress.

From what I've seen, either would be a good way to share information about your boat. My blog has pretty much turned into my logbook of the work I've been doing on my boat. I would also consider it unique and worthy of sharing with others.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 06:37   #23

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I have the old spencerowners site in a zip file would love to post it for all to see but will wordpress do it for that for free
Anything is possible. If it's an old html site then transferring the contents should be fairly straightforward —maybe not fast and easy, but straightforward. As long as you aren't looking to duplicate the design as well.

Think of it as a great project to get you started on the mysteries of html, css and php (which frankly make more sense at this point then racor's, 4d radar and anchoring)
Old 14-01-2015, 07:56   #24

Boat: Spencer 53 Cutter

Please do keep the Spencer site alive
SailorSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 08:01   #25

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeon_tsd View Post
Wordpress is a platform (read software) that many hosting companies offer. The ease or not of using your own URL is more up to the hosting company, not a function of the underlying software. I use Bluehost, and had no issues setting up my own URL.
I was using the Wordpress hosted site (Wordpress.com), not the software (Wordpress.org).

I may use the Wordpress.org software in the future though. Many people have said that it is pretty simple to use.
Old 14-01-2015, 08:22   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I use the wordpress.com platform as well as the wordpress.org.

wordpress com will import from:
so just make an export file from the platform you are using.

Blogger Import posts, comments, and users from a Blogger blog.
Blogroll Import links in OPML format.
Categories and Tags Converter Convert existing categories to tags or tags to categories, selectively.
GoDaddy Quick Blogcast Import posts, comments, categories and attachments from a GoDaddy Quick Blogcast
Israblog Import posts, comments, and attachments from an Israblog backup file
LiveJournal Import posts from LiveJournal using their API.
Movable Type and TypePad Import posts and comments from a Movable Type or TypePad blog
My Opera Import posts, comments, images and tags from a My Opera export file.
Posterous Import posts, comments, images, video, and categories from a Posterous export file.
Storylane Import posts from a Storylane export file.
Tumblr Import posts from a Tumblr blog into your WordPress.com blog.
WordPress Import posts, pages, comments, custom fields, categories, and tags from a WordPress export file.
Xanga Import posts, comments, images and tags from a Xanga export file.
Yahoo! 360 Import posts and comments from a Yahoo! 360 blog
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 08:34   #27

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeon_tsd View Post
I think the best way to have your own URL is to purchase a domain name directly. In that case, the blog site doesn't have anything at all to do with your URL. You just go to your domain admin page, and point your URL to the blog. Another advantage of doing your own domain is that you'll get a nice free email address under your domain (such as SailorBlue@MyName.org)

If you go the Wordpress route, I'd suggest that you spend some time picking a theme. They have a ton of them, and some are much closer to what you probably want than others, without manual setup, etc. I happen to like SunSpot pretty much...
Old 14-01-2015, 08:39   #28

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Actually, not all of the domain registrars give you free email (meaning included in the domain reg). You should check that out first.
Old 14-01-2015, 20:57   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSpencer View Post
Please do keep the Spencer site alive
I'm not the original owner he canceled the domain I was allowed to download a zip of the site to hopefully someday revive it give your email and I can send you a zip copy
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 07:29   #30

I do want my own domain name. I'd also like a site that links to other sites like Amazon.

For example, in a log I might reference a book or place, so it would be cool to have a direct link to it.

I used Go Daddy before & it did function that way but it was real expensive & not user friendly.

Does Weebly & Wordpress offer domain names, plus links? Guess I better check on that...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum