Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 11:55   #1

Boat: Outbound 44
USCG Documentation Renewal Fee

Documentation renewals will no longer be free with the USCG.
Quote:
ALL CUSTOMERS WITH A COD EXPIRING AFTER NOVEMBER 10, 2014 MUST INCLUDE A PAYMENT OF $26.00 WITH THE CG-1280 APPLICATION FOR RENEWAL.
(CAPS from the link.
http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/news/renewal.pdf
Old 08-10-2014, 13:49   #2

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: USCG Documentation Renewal Fee

I was bound to happen eventually. Thanks for the info.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 14:40   #3

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

Wow, I just squeaked in for this year with an Oct. 31 renewal date. I'm not surprised that they are now charging but a jump from 0 to $26 is a bit of a shock. I would have thought it would be $10 or something like that.

Bill
Old 08-10-2014, 15:50   #4

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I've heard a lot of people were expecting $10.

Now if only they could do something with the length of time it's valid for to say, 3 years. That would make it a bit more worth the fee.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 16:06   #5

Considering what the Coast Guard does for us, it is money well spent. I worked around many "coasties" that were injured helping boaters. They are also taking huge budget cuts while trying to keep the operational support going strong. Quite a few of my neighbors are "coasties". I golf with them, BBQ with them, and see what they have to deal with every day. They are at the bottom of the barrel when the goverment decides who gets what.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 16:15   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 33

They could quadruple it and I wouldn't squawk. Worth every penny.
Old 08-10-2014, 16:19   #7

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post
Considering what the Coast Guard does for us, it is money well spent. I worked around many "coasties" that were injured helping boaters. They are also taking huge budget cuts while trying to keep the operational support going strong. Quite a few of my neighbors are "coasties". I golf with them, BBQ with them, and see what they have to deal with every day. They are at the bottom of the barrel when the goverment decides who gets what.
I would agree, except I suspect the fee goes to the U.S. Treasury to reduce the National Debt, and does not increase the USCG's budget.
Old 08-10-2014, 16:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I would agree, except I suspect the fee goes to the U.S. Treasury to reduce the National Debt, and does not increase the USCG's budget.
It probably doesn't. You know how the Fed works. A owner operator trucker paying "heavy use" taxes ends up supporting EBT cards, instead of highways.
Old 08-10-2014, 18:25   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Lest we all forget. We paid a hefty one-time up front fee to document. For that consideration, they may commandeer our vessels into Federal service. Every tax payer pays for the CG. and every other federal agency. Why do you need to send in a paper sheet for some midshipman to punch? Why is this not a simple click on the data entry, "no changes"? Documentation is nothing but the equivalent of an auto TITLE. I only ever get one title for a car. Don't lightly accept another tax on services they require you have and for which you already pay. If the cost is 'too high' why do they insist we do it annually? I only renew my driver's license every four years; my car plates every 6; my various trailers only once-ever; my passport every 10. DO we pay a user fee to drive on the Federal Interstates? Do we get a personal bill from the army for defending us? Hold their feet to the fire and make them stay within their charter. Government is not a fee-for-service organization.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 19:06   #10

Boat: Leopard 46

I don't see this as very different from the annual auto registration renewal that virtually every state requires. Not a big deal in my opinion. Although I would rather renew every few years for a larger fee than every year.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:13   #11

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Caught in a full gale for a few days last month coming back from Hawaii I was comforted by the thought of our competent Coasties in case I needed them. I make my donation to their foundation every year and really look forward to their "Proceedings" publication in the mail. Border Protection of Homeland Security gets their annual sticker fee for customs. I've been really relieved to see the Coasties off Central and South America as well.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 15:46   #12

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Aside from the gnawing suspicion we all have that the fee doesn't go to the Coast Guard directly and likely gets funneled into the checking account of federal mismanagement, I tend to think that throwing even a fifty dollar bone to the organization that provides us the protection at sea we get from the Coast Guard would be a small price to pay.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-10-2014, 16:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Lest we all forget. We paid a hefty one-time up front fee to document. For that consideration, they may commandeer our vessels into Federal service. Every tax payer pays for the CG. and every other federal agency. Why do you need to send in a paper sheet for some midshipman to punch? Why is this not a simple click on the data entry, "no changes"? Documentation is nothing but the equivalent of an auto TITLE. I only ever get one title for a car. Don't lightly accept another tax on services they require you have and for which you already pay. If the cost is 'too high' why do they insist we do it annually? I only renew my driver's license every four years; my car plates every 6; my various trailers only once-ever; my passport every 10. DO we pay a user fee to drive on the Federal Interstates? Do we get a personal bill from the army for defending us? Hold their feet to the fire and make them stay within their charter. Government is not a fee-for-service organization.
Yes we do pay to drive on interstates, every time we pump fuel into our vehicles.

Midshipman do not process your paperwork, they are too busy learning seamanship, engineering, and navigation.

The Army will never bill you directly for their services, some young soldier stamped that bill "PAID IN FULL" with his/her life.
Old 12-10-2014, 16:44   #14

IMO, a more sensible way to fund recreational boating related gov't services would be to use the taxes collected from fuel sold at marine gas stations. But than again whoever experienced a Federal gov't bureaucracy doing a sensible thing these days?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 17:22   #15

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I spent 36 active and reserve years with the army. Had I the chance to repeat, I would, but I would seriously consider the USCG. They do great and meaningful work all the time, and when the shooting starts, they will be there. That said, the new fee will go to the general till. The check will be made out to the Treasurer of the USA, not the Controller of the USCG.

Don't think anyone here would begrudge the fee if it were to go directly to the USCG. I would not, but when the USCG budget is being cut, but the fees go up, I do object.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men