Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 20:57   #1

US coast guard documentation endorsements?

currently in the process of transfering a documented boat into my name. at the moment i have no need (that i am aware of) for any of the endorsements but could see a time in the future where a coastwise or fishery endorsement. the original owners documentation was/is recreational.

is there a problem with keeping it recreational and adding an endorsement down the line if needed, any benefit to getting them now?

any hidden benefit to an endorsement other than rec?

boat is primarily in pacific north west USA with occasional jaunts into canada.
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 23:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: US coast guard documentation endorsements?

If you register as a commercial fishing, etc., you may have an increase in insurance. You should be able to change your registration to commercial in the future. A call to the Coast Guard might ease your mind. Many commercial boats were something else. I am a former commercial fisherman and have transformed yachts and ex-military boats into salmon/tuna boats. No problems with the registration. Commercial vessels have different equipment requirements.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:36   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Do you plan go use the boat commercially? If not, then all you need is the Recreational endorsement. If you do decide to use it commercially later then you can change endorsements.

If only recreational use for now then there is no beneifit to getting the commercial endorsements and you can add them later.

Where was the boat built?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:18   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Those with the commercial endorsement can also probably convince you of the added hassles of bureaucracy, potential inspection burdens, and other hoops to jump through that we yachties don't suffer.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:22   #5

Thanks, sounds like I'll just go with the recreational for now and worry about adding endorsements later if I need them.
Old 10-07-2015, 13:08   #6

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38

watch out there are restrictions on what you can and can not do, if you add a fisheries then you will not be able to recreation fish off your boat in many areas as commercial boats have different zones (regulated by the state) they are allowed to fish in.
oregoncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 19:33   #7

Boat: 55 fleming

If you add a commercial endorsement your insurance may go up in price to cover the additional risk. Also you might want to check the covenants of your mortgage if you have browned money on the boat.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 19:44   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

If your boat was made in a country other than the US I dont think you can use it for coastwise commercial work..This may have changed in the past few yrs. not sure..My boat was made in Canada and I was told that it could not be used coastwise only for privet use...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 19:58   #9

If foreign built, you have to get an MRAD waiver in order to get Coastwise.
Old 10-07-2015, 20:21   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Simplest answer: Call the Vessel Documentation people and ask them, are there any further restrictions (i.e. place of manufacture? need for additional builder's papers?) that will be involved when and if you want to add any other endorsements. They'll give you a fast, and current, and accurate answer.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:18   #11

Boat: 41 Morgan OI & 46' Cheoy Lee, Trawler, 46'

Sounds like your thinking of using the boat to charter at a later date. If boat is made in the USA, no problem adding endorsements. If foreign built, it will cost you $500 for the MARAD waiver and you are limited to 12 passengers with no commercial fishing allowed. Takes 60-90 days to get the waiver through the process. I know, I just got a coastwise endorsement for my Cheoy Lee. That is why you don't see too many foreign made boats chartering in the U.S.. This all comes from the 1920s Jones Act to protect the US boating interests.
macart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:21   #12

Also, the ease of getting an MRAD waiver varies by venue (its not for all USA waters, but just for specified areas). When I got one, the staff were nice enough to tell me not to bother applying for certain areas because the waiver applications were almost certain to be contested (I don't recall which areas). If your application is contested then you wont get it.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Simplest answer: Call the Vessel Documentation people and ask them, are there any further restrictions (i.e. place of manufacture? need for additional builder's papers?) that will be involved when and if you want to add any other endorsements. They'll give you a fast, and current, and accurate answer.
they only give you the official word I was looking for information beyond the official word for example back in the seventy's gas crunch in the United States I had commercial plates on my truck while everyone else was stuck in line buying gas only every other day because of my commercial plate I could buy gasoline every day that was a hidden benefit but was wondering if there was anything like that that came along with the commercial side of documentation. from the sounds of it in previous posters there doesn't seem to be any hidden benefit only with the possible drawbacks of higher insurance and restrictions on recreational activities while carrying a commercial endorsement thank you
Old 11-07-2015, 17:49   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

They only give you the official word, yes. But they tend to know the rules.

If you want to go to the source, that would be Chapter 10 of the United States Code, as I may misrecall. 10USC-somethingorother will have all the documentation rules, you can read 'em first hand. And of course, bear in mind they probably will continue to change on January 1st every year.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 18:11   #15

i never asked about the rules, those are easy to look up. i asked about reality.

Tags
documentation, men