Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 18:42   #16

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Re: US coast guard documentation endorsements?

Years ago I was told that if any previous owner was not a US citizen, the boat could not be documented commercially.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 18:47   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by over40pirate View Post
Years ago I was told that if any previous owner was not a US citizen, the boat could not be documented commercially.
Not be documented, regardless of classification.
Old 11-07-2015, 19:03   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You are dealing with the USCG and they are long known for enforcing exactly what the rules say. Often exceeding them, when there's any discretion allowed. But there's no discretion when the laws say "You must have this, in order to get this status." Federal agencies rarely make any habit of ignoring federal statutes.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 14:11   #19

Boat: Pearson P-323 "Blue Heron" Hull #11

I am in the process of buying a documented boat right now, and it is currently endorsed as recreational, but I am going to send in my "exchange" paper for "coastwise" endorsement so I can run some charters when I want. It's only an additional $29 for the endorsement. The USCG said they already have the original builders certificate on file which proves it was built in the U.S. (I got lucky!)

I went through the process of applying for a Jones Act Waiver on a previous boat...$500 non-refundable fee for an application to US congress, write up a short description of your intended operation and geography it will potentially cover. Then 2-3 months since they have to post your business idea in the federal registry and require a 60 day period for comments (for instance, if other operators in business/geography complain that you will injure their business). They did end up granting me the waiver.

Your real expense will be when you try to get insurance that covers a charter operation, and you will also need to get a certified rigger to provide an acceptable rigging survey.

As others have said, call the USCG. That's what I did, and they recommended I go ahead and apply for the Coastwise...obviously, no problem still using the boat "recreational".

Chet
chetc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men