Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 10:42   #1

Tiny, Affordable Living

I'm thinking about becoming a live-aboard sailor. Ideally I'd like to have a boat over 37', but the time it would take to save up for that is more than I could handle right now. So I'm trying to figure out what the best options are for living aboard a boat in the 22' to 26' range.

I know I'm going to want a head and a galley, apart from that I have relatively no clue what I need/want. I imagine I'll be taking the ship out for day sails and weekend trips while I work to save up money for something larger.

I'll probably need to stay in a full service marina with showers since I'm going to be working. I have no idea where just yet, but I'm interested in the SF Bay area. The cool think is I work at Chili's, and they'd be more than happy to transfer me wherever. So finding some kind of transportation, whether it be public or by bicycle would be ideal.

Also, I'm from Texas... so while I am used to the heat, the cold is NOT my friend. What kinds of recommendations/practices do you use to regulate temperature (both hot and cold)?

Other than that, feel free to give me any advice. I'm really excited about the idea of living aboard a boat and how much freedom it will afford me.
TropicalPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 10:47   #2

Re: Tiny, Affordable Living

It's a lot more fun in a warm climate. Florida comes to mind!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 11:14   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I agree with warm! You don't say anything about budget or experiece. But I've recently become attracted to the Eastward Ho 24. On a practical level they seem well suited to a single live aboard and are not expensive. Pretty little boats too.
Old 22-10-2016, 11:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I agree with warm! You don't say anything about budget or experiece. But I've recently become attracted to the Eastward Ho 24. On a practical level they seem well suited to a single live aboard and are not expensive. Pretty little boats too.

I've completed my ASA 101, but I have very little actual time on the water. I'm very intelligent and capable though, so there's little I couldn't handle.

As far as budget goes, I'm looking for a boat around $5000, with the ability to live on $16k to $20k a year.

After that I want to spend around $22k to $30k on an ocean cruiser (or preferably trade).
Old 22-10-2016, 13:19   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

As far as boats go I'd look to see what is available where you want to, and CAN, live. Then start walking the docks and sifting through craigslist. Of course you have to check local marina restrictions on liveaboards first too. Many don't allow liveaboards at all. Some don't allow liveaboards on boats less than a certain length. I have 2 buddies who lived aboard their Catalina 27s while I lived on my Columbia 24. A Columbia 26 Mk1 or Mk2 would be workable too. There are quite a few older boats that could work, but headroom, a sufficiently roomy berth, having a hanging locker and a decent head and galley are important items. Personally I slept in the v-berth and that left the salon for the other various items of life, so I'd be trying out the v-berths before buying too!
You might check southern California harbor areas for Chili's! I bet there might be one close to Marina Del Rey or Dana Point or others.. San Diego area is a good bet too. Call around for liveaboard restrictions first. I have seen many boats listed on craigslist that mention liveaboard availability.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 13:22   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Many marinas in california and the SF bay have a minimum length requirement for a liveaboard. Some places it's 30 feet others 35 feet. So a 26 foot boat in the SF bay area will not do it. But good news even a 35 foot boat is less then 200 sf of living/storage space. My older 34 foot boat has roughly 150 sf, but that includes locker and other storage space.

Mind you I know some folk who do live in smaller boats at marina's. But it depends on the marina. Most of the bigger ones want at least a 30 footer.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 13:42   #7

This is all great information. I appreciate the help. What about insurance? Do most marinas require you to have insurance?
Old 22-10-2016, 13:53   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalPenguin View Post
This is all great information. I appreciate the help. What about insurance? Do most marinas require you to have insurance?
Yes they do, at least liability/fuel spill and salvage, for either $300K or $500K depending on marina. Note that a 40 year old boat costs more to insure then a newer boat. I found that out then dropped to just liability with a different company.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 13:53   #9

Quote:
Yes. Liability for them, $300,000 in my marina... not too expensive to get. Check with BoatUS for their coverage. I got mine with a local company and it is under $200 for the year and that includes coverage for the boat. The insurance may want to know if you have any sailing/boating certifications.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 22-10-2016, 14:07   #10

I've completed my ASA 101, and I have plans to take my ASA 103-107, its all just a matter of funding and timing.
Old 22-10-2016, 14:10   #11

What are the slip fees like out in the SF bay area?
Old 22-10-2016, 14:15   #12

Quote:
I've completed my ASA 101, and I have plans to take my ASA 103-107, its all just a matter of funding and timing.
All good, by all means take all the classes, though I don't think I'd sweat it right away as far as insurance goes. I've been sailing for over 40 years, never took an ASA class though. I probably should one of these days. My agent asked, "so let's see... they want to know if you have any certifications or have taken any classes?"
I took one in high school, does that count?
"Ok, good...yes...has sailing certificate..."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 22-10-2016, 14:24   #13

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

You know, there are other marinas in the LA area besides yottie-centric MDR or Dana Point. Try the Anchorage Road area of Wilmington where you can watch them loading container ships and listen to the dulcet sounds of the container train horns all night long.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 14:26   #14

Quote:
What are the slip fees like out in the SF bay area?
Good question, I bet sailorchic and guyamun (think I spelled that wrong, sorry) will know, and many others. I haven't been there in a while but you might check Redwood City. That was pretty reasonable in the day, and the weather is a bit milder, (aka less, or no, fog, less wind, more warmth.) Wasn't it Mark Twain who said "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco?"
oops forgot Richardson Bay there at Sausalito if you don't mind anchoring out. That is cheap! There is a certain romance to that if you don't mind a bit of coolness and dampness and windiness sometimes....here is a Latitude 38 article
http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/...5#.WAvdVYUd-nc
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 22-10-2016, 14:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
You know, there are other marinas in the LA area besides yottie-centric MDR or Dana Point. Try the Anchorage Road area of Wilmington where you can watch them loading container ships and listen to the dulcet sounds of the container train horns all night long.
Uhhhhh... yeah. That is ONE way to go... but it would be quite a long bike ride to the nearest Chili's through some... colorful.. neighborhoods
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37