Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 15:24   #181

Boat: Lots of boats.
Re: Thinking about jumping the shark.

Quote:
we create the HOA...an organization we are forced to pay (much like we do the government) that we give the power to determine the minutia of our lives; leaving no part of our supposedly free existence uncontrolled by a governing body.
I didn't really want to reply to this as its not really boat related, but I find people misunderstand the true meaning of freedom. It doesn't mean free from rules, regulations and laws. And it never meant free to do whatever you want to do. Besides, having an HOA (home owner's association) is not all about rules. Just like the government, the HOA also provides services that make life a little better, and at a lower cost than you could provide on your own. Like trash pickup and snow removal and road repairs. Sure they have some rules and some of the elected members get power hungry. But in neighborhoods where homes cost $500K and much more, they protect the other homeowners from the slobs that have no pride in their yards and from people who paint their houses all the colors of the rainbow. I for one appreciate the things organization can provide. I worked hard to get here and don't mind paying a little extra for good roads and excellent schools. Just a difference of opinion. Nothing more. Happily, most of us can live almost anywhere we want. Want a mini-cabin off the grid in the middle of the woods? There are plenty of places you can do that. Want to live on your boat? There are lots of ways to go about doing that as well. Be happy we live in a world where you can control how and where you want to live. Don't like HOA's, don't move into those neighborhoods. Its your choice and you are free to live elsewhere.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 17:32   #182

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
I didn't really want to reply to this as its not really boat related, but I find people misunderstand the true meaning of freedom. It doesn't mean free from rules, regulations and laws. And it never meant free to do whatever you want to do. Besides, having an HOA (home owner's association) is not all about rules. Just like the government, the HOA also provides services that make life a little better, and at a lower cost than you could provide on your own. Like trash pickup and snow removal and road repairs. Sure they have some rules and some of the elected members get power hungry. But in neighborhoods where homes cost $500K and much more, they protect the other homeowners from the slobs that have no pride in their yards and from people who paint their houses all the colors of the rainbow. I for one appreciate the things organization can provide. I worked hard to get here and don't mind paying a little extra for good roads and excellent schools. Just a difference of opinion. Nothing more. Happily, most of us can live almost anywhere we want. Want a mini-cabin off the grid in the middle of the woods? There are plenty of places you can do that. Want to live on your boat? There are lots of ways to go about doing that as well. Be happy we live in a world where you can control how and where you want to live. Don't like HOA's, don't move into those neighborhoods. Its your choice and you are free to live elsewhere.
freedom. everyone loves to define that word differently. now, it seems to always mean free to do as you like as long as it doesn't bother or offend me. and every group has their own idea as to what that means. too big a discussion to even get into.

the irony is that this huge side discussion all started because i had the audacity to compare home ownership with being a live aboard as choices a person might make... as an example that all choices have a price.

i find that your post is a perfect example of that very fact, so it's not really off subject. in fact, it's rather timely. life is a trade off. there is always a price. if you want to live freely, you have to be more self sufficient. if you want convenient services and neighbors whose houses don't offend you, you have to lose some liberty (along with your HOA fees).

personally, i think that, if you are that concerned with the color your neighbor paints his house, you either live too close or you lead a boring life. my mother is always wondering after what the neighbors are doing. i could care a less. it's their life and their property. as long as it doesn't physically spill over onto mine it's none of my business. i have my own life to live and too much going on to worry about their porch lights being on all night or why there is a different car in their driveway.

anyhow, these are choices we all have to make. they all have a cost. as i was suggesting to the OP. choosing to live aboard a sailboat is not really anymore costly that any other choice. cheaper than many. but, you have to remember that the price you pay for a thing is not always money.

for instance, if you choose to chain yourself to a mortgage and a 'traditional' life on land, part of the price you pay will be missing out on the adventure and experiences you might have had if you had chosen differently.

on the other hand, if you choose a life aboard a sailboat (and choose to do so at a reasonable cost), you will probably miss out on a lot of the conveniences that a lot of people are fairly addicted to. you will also miss out on knowing exactly where you'll be day in and day out. there will be a lot more uncertainty...especially if you go off voyaging. (for me, that's the ultimate goal) you'll miss a lot of TV.

you also might miss out on the social activities you might have had in whatever town you might have chosen to live in. of course, there are social interactions to be had wherever there are people.

it's all a bunch of trade offs. you can't really have it all. life is too short.

you also owe it to yourself to decide what you think is important and not let your choices be driven by the hopes and fears of others. they are not you. the choices they make might make them happy. they also might not, in the end. most people are filled with regrets. the thing you have to ask yourself is, will the choices they make for their lives be the right ones for yours?

really, no matter what opinions you hear, you are the only one who can make that decision for yourself.

me? i woke up one day, after decades of struggling to follow a path, to realize i was chasing the dreams and goals that other people said i should chase; not the ones in my own heart. so, i am now working towards achieving my own dreams and my own path. for me, that means life aboard a sailboat and wind in my sails as often as possible. it means exploration and experience. i really don't give a hoot if my neighbors are all happy at how nicely my grass is trimmed. i don't have time to waste on such a trivial thing as constantly tending and harvesting a plant i can't eat or make into anything useful.

i'm going to die. and, when i die, the world will not care how my lawn looked or if my neighbors minded that i put a basketball hoop in my driveway for my kids to play with. none of that will be in the history books. future generations will not hold my name in awe if i religiously wore my helmet on my motorcycle (which i decidedly do not). what i did with my life will actually matter to a chosen few. but, it will matter most to me because, i am the one that will be looking back on that life when i leave it. there won't be time to do it differently when that day arrives.

something to think about.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 23:12   #183

On the "Humbolts" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
What are humboldts (google didn't return anything)?

Learning to sail took up a lot of time but I did get some swimming in. I've spent a lot of time in the water but playing with the seals (who would race me to the bottom and back up) and thrashing through the middle of a huge bait ball will rank as top experiences in my book.
... He's talking about the large squid now proliferating in the sea of cortez, not the GIANT one in the photo (which looks retouched to me).

I figure he is joking or watches too much Discovery channel. The Humbolts will only be a problem if diving deep at night with a light.

I used to hang with the seals at Cabo. Was fun, but they can be a little dangerous too, if you get too close to the colony. Also, there were whales less than 50 feet off the beach near the pitons.

Nice to share these Mexican memories.

Also, got a brother over in Marcos Island, and he loves it there on the gulf coast of FL.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 20:34   #184

Boat: 1983 Freedom 39 Deck Salon

You might consider Ensenada, MX. We've been here a year prepping to head further south (we started in Portland). Slip fees are < $500us/mo. The weather is great, the people are friendly, and there is a good VA hospital just north of San Diego (a couple hours away depending on border crossing time). Something to consider.
monroe0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 18:49   #185

I'm a trucker, too. Things are slow most places these days, I think you'd be better off selling your truck (I'm assuming you're an o/o) and going company for a while. Living on the truck you can save big bucks even if you're not running as many miles as you like, try to start off in a stronger position than just barely affording a boat, that's my advice anyway. It's not fun living on the margins and you have the opportunity to make thousands before you get a boat. Once you get that boat good luck mixing trucking and living aboard: better be damn sure of your anchoring skills, and ability to stay above water.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Lots of the large carriers are still going strong, no? It's definitely the case in Canada, I just had my best month ever and people are complaining around me about no work, lol.
SomeGuyInaShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:33   #186

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for all of your input!

Been crazy busy the last few days, just got done with the Mid America Trucking show.

I have started a thread that is going to be following my sailing adventure please check it out!

Renegade Sailing Adventures
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 02:39   #187

Boat: 1978 Islander 34

Nick, I'm also a trucker looking at boats to live on. You're totally right with how big they seem compared to my flat top sleeper. Best of luck in your adventures. Just remember no more coming on channel 19 and whispering you ain't got no panties on. But I guarantee if I'm out on the water and hear it on the radio I'll give you the obligitory " shut up stupid" ��
Leftlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 04:19   #188

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftlane View Post
Nick, I'm also a trucker looking at boats to live on. You're totally right with how big they seem compared to my flat top sleeper. Best of luck in your adventures. Just remember no more coming on channel 19 and whispering you ain't got no panties on. But I guarantee if I'm out on the water and hear it on the radio I'll give you the obligitory " shut up stupid" ��
Im a logistics coordinator. Thus post will haunt me....
Old 29-07-2016, 04:22   #189

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^Is this one of those situations where you talk in falsetto?
Old 01-08-2016, 05:50   #190

Boat: 1978 Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
^^^Is this one of those situations where you talk in falsetto?
Nope, not at all. Its one of them things we do for laughs
Leftlane is offline   Reply With Quote