Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2016, 10:02   #106

Re: Thinking about jumping the shark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormantx View Post
After payments are finished, repair bills start increasing. It's a never ending cycle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
You talking about a truck, a boat, or my girlfriend? lol
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 10:06   #107

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

[QUOTE=BigNickMontana;2076593]I am leased to an outfit that takes care of most of it for me, in the past it has been a really good situation and I have made a lot of money in this business.

It's gonna feel really good for a while going back to my truck that is paid off even though it is not as nice. It is just a matter of not having almost 5 grand a month in payments that is going to feel so good.[/QUOT E]

Good Luck! Yep, 60K a year, off the top, going away, would make most folks happy. Seems a no. of drivers have a spouse or girlfriend with a CDL that share the load?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 10:20   #108

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
You talking about a truck, a boat, or my girlfriend? lol
D. all of the above!
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 10:21   #109

[QUOTE=Cadence;2077013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
I am leased to an outfit that takes care of most of it for me, in the past it has been a really good situation and I have made a lot of money in this business.

It's gonna feel really good for a while going back to my truck that is paid off even though it is not as nice. It is just a matter of not having almost 5 grand a month in payments that is going to feel so good.[/QUOT E]

Good Luck! Yep, 60K a year, off the top, going away, would make most folks happy. Seems a no. of drivers have a spouse or girlfriend with a CDL that share the load?
I tried team driving once, drove me insane. Couldn't sleep with her driving.

Then she told a bunch of lies and caused a bunch of drama to which I replied "There's the door." and I couldn't be happier.
Old 20-03-2016, 10:29   #110

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

You go, Big Nick! We lived aboard and cruised for about 15 years and loved the lifestyle... made many, many friends afloat. Personally, I would stay away from CA because of taxes, expensive moorage fees, crappy marinas and odd folks.
Consider looking in either San Carlos or La Paz for some real good boat deals... some may be on the hard, need work but the price can be right. Also consider power over sail as several posters have suggested. Much more room for your $. Canada is another alternative with a very favorable exchange rate but weather is iffy there as is Washington State. Lots of options, don't be in a hurry, let brokers do your shopping for you. Contact a few and let them know you are in the market, what you can afford, type of vessel you are interested in. They don't collect any $ from you unless you buy something from them.
Have you considered living aboard on the west coast and hauling boats north from Mexico and points south? Many sail their boat down and leave it there because of the tough slog north. Good luck! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 10:38   #111

[QUOTE=BigNickMontana;2077031]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post

I tried team driving once, drove me insane. Couldn't sleep with her driving.

Then she told a bunch of lies and caused a bunch of drama to which I replied "There's the door." and I couldn't be happier.
I'm not Dr. Phil. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. Again best of luck.
I hope you get to enjoy sailing.
Old 20-03-2016, 10:40   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If the main goal is live aboard and not travel extensively, a power boat has some real advantages in my opinion.
Room for the money being the biggest.
Even if you mostly travel the ICW, gut feeling is you can run a trawler for less money than the same size sailboat.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 10:45   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If the main goal is live aboard and not travel extensively, a power boat has some real advantages in my opinion.
Even if you mostly travel the ICW, gut feeling is you can run a trawler for less money than the same size sailboat.

I'm gonna go as far north as Alaska, as far east as Europe and as far west as Japan, south to Australia and Thailand.

That is a lil more of a fuel bill that I want to pay for!

You are right though if I was just sticking to one area a trawler would make more sense.
Old 20-03-2016, 10:54   #114

Quote:

The best you can expect under power is hull speed with the trawler or sail boat under power. That is assuming a true trawler not something made to look like a trawler topsides with twin Blown Manns at 1600/ea.

I believe you are right however unless someone just likes sailing and physically can do it. Just traveling the ICW sailing is a pain in the but.
Old 20-03-2016, 10:59   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
You go, Big Nick! We lived aboard and cruised for about 15 years and loved the lifestyle... made many, many friends afloat. Personally, I would stay away from CA because of taxes, expensive moorage fees, crappy marinas and odd folks.
Consider looking in either San Carlos or La Paz for some real good boat deals... some may be on the hard, need work but the price can be right. Also consider power over sail as several posters have suggested. Much more room for your $. Canada is another alternative with a very favorable exchange rate but weather is iffy there as is Washington State. Lots of options, don't be in a hurry, let brokers do your shopping for you. Contact a few and let them know you are in the market, what you can afford, type of vessel you are interested in. They don't collect any $ from you unless you buy something from them.
Have you considered living aboard on the west coast and hauling boats north from Mexico and points south? Many sail their boat down and leave it there because of the tough slog north. Good luck! Phil
Hauling boats back north is not a bad idea, but I need to get more experience before I do.

Any time I spend in the LA area will be just pulling in, maybe spending a couple of days and then getting out again.

A lot of the time I will be just picking up a mooring ball there, renting a car and driving to AZ in the winter to see the grandparents, so when I do that ill take a couple of 12v ice chests with me and stock up on groceries so I don't have to pay cali prices.
Old 20-03-2016, 11:08   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
Hauling boats back north is not a bad idea, but I need to get more experience before I do.

Any time I spend in the LA area will be just pulling in, maybe spending a couple of days and then getting out again.

A lot of the time I will be just picking up a mooring ball there, renting a car and driving to AZ in the winter to see the grandparents, so when I do that ill take a couple of 12v ice chests with me and stock up on groceries so I don't have to pay cali prices.
For hauling boats you need a low boy with jack stands. Not a cheap investment.
Old 20-03-2016, 11:11   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
For hauling boats you need a low boy with jack stands. Not a cheap investment.
OH! you mean trucking them up out of Mexico.

Won't be something I can do, California will not let my truck in their state because of the stupid smog law, and im not spending 80k on a newer truck to make them happy.
Old 20-03-2016, 11:19   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Thinking about jumping the shark.

Was talking the other day to a guy in a trawler, about the same length as my IP, but I think had more interior room.
Anyway he had a 120 HP Ford / Lehman and I think he said his fuel burn was two gls an hour, to my 1 gl an hour, but I believe his speed was also about 40% faster. Long story short, I don't think difference was more than a few bucks a day, and I'm a longer boat with my bow sprit and all, so overnight Marina stays will often cost more, plus he has no sails, standing and running rigging to maintain, so I can see how doing the great loop for instance, it would cost less and be more comfortable in a trawler.
Not much open water in the great loop?

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 11:26   #119

Quote:
Was talking the other day to a guy in a trawler, about the same length as my IP, but I think had more interior room.
Anyway he had a 120 HP Ford / Lehman and I think he said his fuel burn was two gls an hour, to my 1 gl an hour, but I believe his speed was also about 40% faster. Long story short, I don't think difference was more than a few bucks a day, and I'm a longer boat with my bow sprit and all, so overnight Marina stays will often cost more, plus he has no sails, standing and running rigging to maintain, so I can see how doing the great loop for instance, it would cost less and be more comfortable in a trawler.
Not much open water in the great loop?

If anyone is considering doing the Great Loop trawler is the way to go. No unstepping of a mast. There couldn't be that much sailing. Probably many bridges that you wouldn't have to weight on.
Old 20-03-2016, 13:53   #120

Hey Nick. I was talking to a good bro of mine, another disabled Veteran, They are bumping him to 100% this year, got shot up Kuwait. Anyhow he's been driving fuel tanker for sometime now here in Washington, knows the driver ops very well. He said a guy like you might want to look at Intermodal Truck and Train. He says you can get on the day driver side, typical day would be hook and drop, no touch loads , container's from the west side, hauling to the east side and maybe like hay back. If running your own truck, you can haul as few as 3 days a week or 7, up to you. He say it pays very well. Just want to drop that to you if your interested.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote