Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-03-2016, 10:49   #76
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer 30-5
Re: Thinking about jumping the shark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Damn, there aren't Unicorns? Someone will probably accuse us of having some type of bias?
They are real, every time you see a rainbow......yup! A unicorn farted!

Old 19-03-2016, 10:58   #77

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Damn, there aren't Unicorns? Someone will probably accuse us of having some type of bias?
Well you know Narwhal's are unicorns of the sea...

Old 19-03-2016, 10:59   #78

You know guys I have got to say, I think this is fixing to turn into something awesome.

I want to get out to Seattle right now so bad it is not even funny.
Old 19-03-2016, 11:02   #79
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
You know guys I have got to say, I think this is fixing to turn into something awesome.

I want to get out to Seattle right now so bad it is not even funny.
Nick, honestly imo, with your attitude, it will be nothing short of AWESOME!!
Old 19-03-2016, 11:08   #80

Boat: Ohlson 29

It's funny - recently a liveaboard here was doing a talk on living aboard in the Netherlands.

He was going on and on about costs -both for the boat and for a marina- and someone interjected he was only talking about larger, expensive boats and living a pretty luxurious lifestyle.

Long story short, he asked me, as a fellow liveaboard, to confirm what he was saying. So I answered honestly I had no issues living aboard (in an expensive marina too) for about 1/3 of what he claimed to be the absolute bare minimum.

But then again, his idea of cheap restaurant is a $50 main course, while I go to the one local restaurant where you're fed very well for $10

The point being: whatever you're happy with on land, you'll want on a boat. Spending habits don't change all that much, nor do comfort levels.

Most people, when they say "that's not enough" should probably add "for me".
Which is fair enough; I think we can all agree that a bigger income makes life (a lot) easier. But that doesn't mean people can't be perfectly happy with less. Some are even a lot happier once they uncomplicate their lives, tho for others, the contrary will be true.

I've seen new liveaboards who barely made it through their first summer aboard (and were gone by fall) and I've seen people adopt to the life like a duck who finally discovered water .. and most somewhere in between
Old 19-03-2016, 11:10   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Nick, honestly imo, with your attitude, it will be nothing short of AWESOME!!
You know I am having visions of a couple of our boats sailing together through out the day, dragging fishing lines the whole way and anchoring out with the boats tied together everyone having a barbecue with the catch of the day and kind of a floating party.

Sounds alright to me.
Old 19-03-2016, 11:17   #82

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
You know I am having visions of a couple of our boats sailing together through out the day, dragging fishing lines the whole way and anchoring out with the boats tied together everyone having a barbecue with the catch of the day and kind of a floating party.

Sounds alright to me.
Best of luck
Old 19-03-2016, 11:18   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
It's funny - recently a liveaboard here was doing a talk on living aboard in the Netherlands.

He was going on and on about costs -both for the boat and for a marina- and someone interjected he was only talking about larger, expensive boats and living a pretty luxurious lifestyle.

Long story short, he asked me, as a fellow liveaboard, to confirm what he was saying. So I answered honestly I had no issues living aboard (in an expensive marina too) for about 1/3 of what he claimed to be the absolute bare minimum.

But then again, his idea of cheap restaurant is a $50 main course, while I go to the one local restaurant where you're fed very well for $10

The point being: whatever you're happy with on land, you'll want on a boat. Spending habits don't change all that much, nor do comfort levels.

Most people, when they say "that's not enough" should probably add "for me".
Which is fair enough; I think we can all agree that a bigger income makes life (a lot) easier. But that doesn't mean people can't be perfectly happy with less. Some are even a lot happier once they uncomplicate their lives, tho for others, the contrary will be true.

I've seen new liveaboards who barely made it through their first summer aboard (and were gone by fall) and I've seen people adopt to the life like a duck who finally discovered water .. and most somewhere in between
You know you are very right in what you have said here.

The thing I am looking forward to with the boat the most is having a galley again, I can cook somewhat in the semi, but I have no running water, no real prep space so I am pretty limited by what I can do.

Now when it comes to the boat, I will have a ton of storage, and I am the type that will go to Costco, get good deals, even clip cupons if I have to to control expenses.

I also really want to get back into hunting, so figuring out how to stuff a couple of big freezers into the boat is probably going to be a thing if I can manage it.
Old 19-03-2016, 11:18   #84

Boat: 1975 morgan outisland 33'

Hey Nick I am about 20 minutes from Jubitz

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-03-2016, 11:25   #85

Boat: 1975 morgan outisland 33'

As far as parking I usually park at the TA in Troutdale then go to the boat

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-03-2016, 12:20   #86

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

And if you get farther north PM us. We are (for now) right on the WA side of the Canadian border. Planning on doing the San Juan Islands early in the spring (May?) and then go as far north as we want for the summer (Alaska is on the bucket list). If you want to go for a coffee let us know. Looking forward to more of your adventure!
Old 19-03-2016, 15:13   #87
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Sounds alright to me.
That, my friend is a plan! I grew up in Port Angeles, family on Mom's side homesteaded the Brinnon.Wa. area on Hoods Canal, spent many years fishing the area, crabbing, shrimping and such, the best times of my life spent on those water's. Funny.....now that I think about it, nobody was rich, wealthy nor had big high dollar boats, just the desire to be who they were and enjoy life. Worked out very well for us. I'm starting to be a little disturbed by how many nay sayer's are here.......wait...no I'm not, their opinion matter's not!
Live your life the way you want bro, you earned it.
Fair Winds
Old 19-03-2016, 15:50   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
That, my friend is a plan! I grew up in Port Angeles, family on Mom's side homesteaded the Brinnon.Wa. area on Hoods Canal, spent many years fishing the area, crabbing, shrimping and such, the best times of my life spent on those water's. Funny.....now that I think about it, nobody was rich, wealthy nor had big high dollar boats, just the desire to be who they were and enjoy life. Worked out very well for us. I'm starting to be a little disturbed by how many nay sayer's are here.......wait...no I'm not, their opinion matter's not!
Live your life the way you want bro, you earned it.
Fair Winds
I have a message for the nay sayers:

The boat I grew up on was a Glen L designed 18 foot cabin cruiser with a 35ph Evinrude 2 stroke. My grandpa built it in 1962, it wasn't fancy, it was plywood covered in fiberglass, and some of the fondest memories of my life happened on that boat.

Some people will never be happy no matter how much money they have.
Old 19-03-2016, 15:51   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
And if you get farther north PM us. We are (for now) right on the WA side of the Canadian border. Planning on doing the San Juan Islands early in the spring (May?) and then go as far north as we want for the summer (Alaska is on the bucket list). If you want to go for a coffee let us know. Looking forward to more of your adventure!
I really want to get up to Alaska as well but I doubt it will be this season.

I will definitely stay in touch.
Old 19-03-2016, 16:13   #90

Boat: Boatless

Nick, if that trailer is yours also, ditch that broker, and give someone like Landstar a call. Nothing worse than a dirtbag broker. However if selling it all gives you 35k, I'm assuming the tractor is just yours, not the trailer. In that case I'd stil try Landstar or even the Landstar-like set up Schneider has. With your oversize experience maybe sell the tractor, and get on with a heavy haul company.

You obviously know the industry. Someone with your experience can get work in about 45 minutes, even if it's hauling regular ol' freight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: