Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2016, 08:45   #61

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Thinking about jumping the shark.

Hey Nick,

Attainable Adventure Cruising just published a couple of articles that may be of interest to you and others preparing to jump into this lifestyle:

Attainable Adventure Cruising is one of my other favorite resources supplementing this forum. John and Phyllis are very experienced high latitude cruisers who maintain a membership site- well worth the US$1.66/month for us... [The above articles do not require membership to read...]

For when you have time- and I hope you enjoy the ride!

Cheers!

Bill
Old 19-03-2016, 08:48   #62

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Hey Nick,

Attainable Adventure Cruising just published a couple of articles that may be of interest to you and others preparing to jump into this lifestyle:

Attainable Adventure Cruising is one of my other favorite resources supplementing this forum. John and Phyllis are very experienced high latitude cruisers who maintain a membership site- well worth the US$1.66/month for us... [The above articles do not require membership to read...]

For when you have time- and I hope you enjoy the ride!

Cheers!

Bill
Bill, I will definitely be checking that out, Thank you!
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 08:55   #63

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I was thinking along the same lines as fatherchronica about being close to the VA, if that's what you need. I've only heard good things about sailing the Sea of Cortez.
I tend to think Mexico is indeed a tad more risky than many other places, but it suits a lot of people just fine.
Regarding the expenses of living in California, well, that's true to a large extent, but there are some relatively "inexpensive" places to have a liveaboard, such as the Delta, Humboldt County, even Mendocino County for cheaper slips and fees.
If I were you, I'd choose a place you want to live and then research marinas within a 300-mile radius of that area.
Make friends with another liveaboard and have him or her help you screen boats. Get a survey from a recommended surveyor, sea trial, and buy whatever you see fit. I thinking standing headroom is a must, but your experience and needs may differ.
Maybe write a blog to document your learning and adventures. That could perhaps help defray costs of living aboard a little.
Good luck! Go for it!
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 10:00   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Hey Nick!
I waited till 60, wish I had done this when your age but $ and family dictated what I could do. I bought a older 30 footer and am very pleased with it for live aboard. I also took into account that I could easily spend 3-4 thousand more on updating electronics and such, turns out I sould have thought of 5-6 thousand more. Bigger is better....sometimes. Not always for single handing, ease of sailing, cost of slips, they seem to bump up at over 30 foot, maintenance cost's are more.
I'm also a disabled Veteran, 100%. so also on a fixed income. Have you put in for 100%? It might take a little time but worth trying. That would give you a good jump in monthly benefit's and health care is covered 100%, that alone huge for me.
If you make the move to the pacific north west, let me know. I've never said no to the chance of helping another Veteran when he's doing everything he can to help himself. Good luck brother.
Bob, you are spot on on that, I really should go in and see if I can get that last bump, I am at 90% right now. Getting here was rough, had over a 2 year wait with the VA.

I am thinking Seattle is going to be the place, possibly Portland but I have always just felt comfortable in Seattle, and have always wanted to live there.

I will be in touch, we will have to get together next time I am out that way for a couple of days. I am trying to get out of Ohio right now.
Old 19-03-2016, 10:15   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I am sorry. I am not convinced your VA income and cash for a bout,is a good idea?

Boating is not LaLa land it is expensive.

JMHO
I'm going to fund my project entirely by selling unicorn meat.
Old 19-03-2016, 10:26   #66

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
I'm going to fund my project entirely by selling unicorn meat.
How much per lb.?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 10:27   #67

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Fresh or jerked unicorn meat? Either way put me down for a few pounds. I wouldn't be discouraged. There are plenty of people who sail on the cheap, and plenty who stay in marinas and eat out every night and hire every little thing done for them. We filter our water going into our tanks and chlorinate it according to FEMA instructions and have never been sick, ( knock on wood), but we have seen boats fill 100 gallon tanks from 1 or 5 gallon water bottles purchased afar and brought by taxi to the same marinas. To each his own. I think you can do it and will have the adventure of a lifetime.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 10:27   #68

Quote:
Bob, you are spot on on that, I really should go in and see if I can get that last bump, I am at 90% right now. Getting here was rough, had over a 2 year wait with the VA.

I am thinking Seattle is going to be the place, possibly Portland but I have always just felt comfortable in Seattle, and have always wanted to live there.

I will be in touch, we will have to get together next time I am out that way for a couple of days. I am trying to get out of Ohio right now.
Seattle and about anywhere else around this area is a great place to sail out of, The Strait's of Juan De Fuca, San Juan Islands, Hoods Canal, Inside Passage to Alaska. Great fishing, crabbing, shrimping, and for a Photographer like yourself, endless opportunity's for fantastic Photo's. I'm not a blue water kind of guy, but could spend a lifetime just gunkholing here. In Port Angeles, there is a CBOC, so great health care and tons more V.A. facilities as you go further in to Puget Sound.
It should not be to difficult to make that bump from 90 to 100%, just the time waiting for the painfully slow process.
I would enjoy the chance to meet up, maybe go look at a few boats if you like. I'm not a pro like many of the folks here but have a fair basic knowledge of what to look for before paying for a survey. If you chose too do that. I have seen many very nice sailboats around here that would suit your needs very well for the money you have to invest. Have you looked at Craigslist. Seattle sailboats for sale? Lots of nice boats there for what I think may be very good deals.
Let me know when your ready to head out to the Great Pacific North West.
Live your dreams Brother, die with no regret's of what may have been.
Fair Winds.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 10:27   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunnerdave View Post
I live on my boat in Seattle, for 15 years now , and the community that is my marina includes some of my closest friends as well as a bunch of really great neighbors.
If you have the chance to check it out there's more than shilshole marina that allows liveaboards , although it does seem to be getting tougher to get that slip . The sailing possibilities are pretty cool with all our islands and anchorages nearby ... Worth a look!
That does look like a cool Marina, I am going to have to check it out.
Old 19-03-2016, 10:28   #70

Boat: 1975 morgan outisland 33'

It can be as expensive or cheap as someone wants to make it not counting food I averaged $500 a month for live-aboard slip insurance and maintenance and I live in Washington

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
kennyarmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 10:29   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
How much per lb.?
I'm only taking payment in Bitcon's you know since we're in fairy tale land here.
Old 19-03-2016, 10:33   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
Fresh or jerked unicorn meat? Either way put me down for a few pounds. I wouldn't be discouraged. There are plenty of people who sail on the cheap, and plenty who stay in marinas and eat out every night and hire every little thing done for them. We filter our water going into our tanks and chlorinate it according to FEMA instructions and have never been sick, ( knock on wood), but we have seen boats fill 100 gallon tanks from 1 or 5 gallon water bottles purchased afar and brought by taxi to the same marinas. To each his own. I think you can do it and will have the adventure of a lifetime.
I'm a Montana boy, grew up playing in the dirt, needless to say you won't see me bathing in Evian any time soon! lol

One of the items I really want is a water maker, although not something I have to have right away. But I do love a long hot shower which is why I am looking so hard at the Pearson 365, it has a separate shower stall.

Which means a tank-less water heater project will be in my not so distant future.
Old 19-03-2016, 10:34   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyarmes View Post
It can be as expensive or cheap as someone wants to make it not counting food I averaged $500 a month for live-aboard slip insurance and maintenance and I live in Washington

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
How far are you from Jubitz?
Old 19-03-2016, 10:38   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Seattle and about anywhere else around this area is a great place to sail, The Strait's of Juan De Fuca, San Juan Islands, Hoods Canal, Inside Passage to Alaska. Great fishing, crabbing, shrimping, and for a Photographer like yourself, endless opportunity's for fantastic Photo's. I'm not a blue water kind of guy, but could spend a lifetime just gunkholing here. In Port Angeles, there is a CBOC, so great health care and tons more V.A. facilities as you go further in to Puget Sound.
That is realy good to know, and when I was in the Navy, I was stationed on Whidbey, spent my last year working at the base marina over at Crescent Harbor.

So I know you are right, some great opportunities on the water in that area!

Quote:
It should not be to difficult to make that bump from 90 to 100%, just the time waiting for the painfully slow process.
I would enjoy the chance to meet up, maybe go look at a few boats if you like. I'm not a pro like many of the folks here but have a fair basic knowledge of what to look for before paying for a survey. If you chose too do that. I have seen many very nice sailboats around here that would suit your needs very well for the money you have to invest. Have you looked at Craigslist. Seattle sailboats for sale? Lots of nice boats there for what I think may be very good deals.
Let me know when your ready to head out to the Great Pacific North West.
Live your dreams Brother, die with no regret's of what may have been.
Fair Winds.
I will keep you posted next time I am out that way.

I think my biggest challenge is going to be finding a place to park my truck while I am on the boat.
Old 19-03-2016, 10:44   #75

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I'm only taking payment in Bitcon's you know since we're in fairy tale land here.

Damn, there aren't Unicorns? Someone will probably accuse us of having some type of bias?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote