Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 15:26   #136

Re: Thinking about jumping the shark.

Waddayamean "...but weather is iffy there (B.C.)"?

Nothing "iffy" about it! If you can see the Mountains, it's gonna rain. If you can't — it's raining :-0)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 15:37   #137

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
yes, but don't go swimming there. the humboldts will get you!
What are humboldts (google didn't return anything)?

Learning to sail took up a lot of time but I did get some swimming in. I've spent a lot of time in the water but playing with the seals (who would race me to the bottom and back up) and thrashing through the middle of a huge bait ball will rank as top experiences in my book.
Old 21-03-2016, 15:54   #138

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post

Learning to sail took up a lot of time but I did get some swimming in. I've spent a lot of time in the water but playing with the seals (who would race me to the bottom and back up) and thrashing through the middle of a huge bait ball will rank as top experiences in my book.
I think he's talking about these;

FWIW I asked an older guy at work when he's going to retire, his answer; "as long as I'm healthy, I may as well work". I thought 'seriously, you're going to wait until your sick to enjoy retirement?' I put my notice to retire the next day. 95 days to go.......

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 16:27   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post

Great big meat eating squid......that taste really good.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 18:45   #140

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I am sorry. I am not convinced your VA income and cash for a bout,is a good idea?

Boating is not LaLa land it is expensive.

JMHO
there are costs. but, everything costs. people own homes. they cost. not just initial but daily costs, upkeep, repair. still, people own houses. the costs of sailing is really dependent on how you go about it. you could live on water like you live on land and blow a fortune. then again, there are people living on sailboats and cruising for very little. it all depends on what you want.

besides, as long as he is stateside, he can earn a buck if he needs to. heck, he can drive a truck! and people are always looking for a good mechanic to work on their cars.

bottom line, you can be rich and own a sailboat but, you don't necessarily have to be.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 19:21   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I think he's talking about these;

FWIW I asked an older guy at work when he's going to retire, his answer; "as long as I'm healthy, I may as well work". I thought 'seriously, you're going to wait until your sick to enjoy retirement?' I put my notice to retire the next day. 95 days to go.......

goat
first. yes. big aggressive squid that hunt in large numbers and are known to have eaten people. but not the giant squid. they aren't a definite resident of those waters. heck! the regular humboldts are bad enough! google humboldt squid. it will come up. the video linked is pretty cool. i have watched it before. there is another documentary on them, too.

second: good for you, sir! the days of your life are worth more than the handful of dollars you trade them for. to quote classic Sabbath: live for today; tomorrow never comes.
Old 21-03-2016, 19:38   #142

ok. made my way through the whole thread. lots of things about should i go now or later. lot's of talk about where to cruise or what to sail. one thing i didn't see:

bignick, can you sail? i mean. your posts seem to indicate you are not, presently, a sailor. now, i honestly can't see anyone not liking sailing. i love it. i sail every chance i get and when i'm not sailing i think of sailing. however...perhaps, if you don't sail, you should learn. what i did, a lifetime ago, was decide i wanted to learn to sail, bought a few old used books on how to sail (pre-internet days. although i met some folks on the water who couldn't learn even the basics by watching youtube, the info is so much easier to get, now), bought a very old very used 10 foot sailing dinghy for $75 bucks (i still enjoy sailing that boat 20 years later), and i went sailing. taught myself from books. since i don't see you keeping a sailing dinghy in your sleeper, i think you should take classes.

i don't know about where you are but, there is even a group that you can join, here on the chesapeake, where you don't even have to own a boat. you use the community fleet. i have never done it but, it might be a good way to get your feet wet...so to speak.

learn how to sail. see what it's all about. sailing is awesome. it can also be downright scary. it can be peaceful. it can be exciting. mystical. boring. hot. frigid. fulfilling. it takes knowledge and skill. it takes dedication to do...especially if you actually plan to sail instead of motor or sit at the dock. it's the single most worthwhile pursuit. but, maybe you should make sure you like it before you drop everything and throw everything you have into the life of a full time sailor.

you can have fun for free all day long, once you know how to sail and have a boat but, you have to enjoy it for it to be fun.

not that i think you won't like it (as i said, it's awesome) but, i do think you will enjoy the experience more if you know what your about before you dive in. it will also give you some idea of what you really want.
Old 21-03-2016, 20:16   #143

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
ok. made my way through the whole thread. lots of things about should i go now or later. lot's of talk about where to cruise or what to sail. one thing i didn't see:

bignick, can you sail? i mean. your posts seem to indicate you are not, presently, a sailor. now, i honestly can't see anyone not liking sailing. i love it. i sail every chance i get and when i'm not sailing i think of sailing. however...perhaps, if you don't sail, you should learn. what i did, a lifetime ago, was decide i wanted to learn to sail, bought a few old used books on how to sail (pre-internet days. although i met some folks on the water who couldn't learn even the basics by watching youtube, the info is so much easier to get, now), bought a very old very used 10 foot sailing dinghy for $75 bucks (i still enjoy sailing that boat 20 years later), and i went sailing. taught myself from books. since i don't see you keeping a sailing dinghy in your sleeper, i think you should take classes.

i don't know about where you are but, there is even a group that you can join, here on the chesapeake, where you don't even have to own a boat. you use the community fleet. i have never done it but, it might be a good way to get your feet wet...so to speak.

learn how to sail. see what it's all about. sailing is awesome. it can also be downright scary. it can be peaceful. it can be exciting. mystical. boring. hot. frigid. fulfilling. it takes knowledge and skill. it takes dedication to do...especially if you actually plan to sail instead of motor or sit at the dock. it's the single most worthwhile pursuit. but, maybe you should make sure you like it before you drop everything and throw everything you have into the life of a full time sailor.

you can have fun for free all day long, once you know how to sail and have a boat but, you have to enjoy it for it to be fun.

not that i think you won't like it (as i said, it's awesome) but, i do think you will enjoy the experience more if you know what your about before you dive in. it will also give you some idea of what you really want.
Your advice is absolutely spot on.

When it comes to boating, I have been on boats as long as I can remember, just power boats.

However when I was in the Navy I spent my last year working at the base marina, there I got to do a good deal of small boat sailing, It was a 10-12' boat can't remember how big, then I got to sail a few times as a passenger on a couple of larger sailboats.

I loved it. I wish then I knew the cruising lifestyle was a thing, id have gone a lot further with it.

Books are great too, I have several of them waiting for me at my dad's house in Montana when I get back through that I ordered.

As well I will be taking sailing classes this spring/summer I am looking at ASA to actually get certified.
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 20:40   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
Your advice is absolutely spot on.

When it comes to boating, I have been on boats as long as I can remember, just power boats.

However when I was in the Navy I spent my last year working at the base marina, there I got to do a good deal of small boat sailing, It was a 10-12' boat can't remember how big, then I got to sail a few times as a passenger on a couple of larger sailboats.

I loved it. I wish then I knew the cruising lifestyle was a thing, id have gone a lot further with it.

Books are great too, I have several of them waiting for me at my dad's house in Montana when I get back through that I ordered.

As well I will be taking sailing classes this spring/summer I am looking at ASA to actually get certified.
it's good you have some sailing experience (and plan to take classes). at least you do know you actually like to sail. that's a great start. i have a few books i'd recommend. you can get them used, if you look. i did.

---by Lin and Larry Pardey

the capable cruiser

the self sufficient sailor

cost conscious cruiser

(i can't recommend those enough)

---by Rick Page and Jasna Tuta

get real, get gone (how to become a modern sea gypsy and sail away forever...)

---by Hal Roth

after 50,000 miles

i found all of the useful and informative but, the books by the
Pardys are a real wealth of information.
Old 21-03-2016, 20:56   #145

Quote:
it's good you have some sailing experience (and plan to take classes). at least you do know you actually like to sail. that's a great start. i have a few books i'd recommend. you can get them used, if you look. i did.

---by Lin and Larry Pardey

the capable cruiser

the self sufficient sailor

cost conscious cruiser

(i can't recommend those enough)

---by Rick Page and Jasna Tuta

get real, get gone (how to become a modern sea gypsy and sail away forever...)

---by Hal Roth

after 50,000 miles

i found all of the useful and informative but, the books by the
Pardys are a real wealth of information.
I will check those out, I already did As Long as it is fun and sailing Serafin by or about the Pardey's, they are on Audible so listening to them while I drive makes it easy.
Old 21-03-2016, 21:05   #146

I made this video yesterday, finally got it posted. A lot of you in this thread really inspired this.

https://youtu.be/QAQGZLfm28c

Posting videos on this channel for my sailing adventures is going to be a regular thing.
Old 21-03-2016, 21:44   #147

Quote:
I made this video yesterday, finally got it posted. A lot of you in this thread really inspired this.

Posting videos on this channel for my sailing adventures is going to be a regular thing.
I checked ya out! Liked and subscribed! The passion lives!! Think of the people you will inspire with your videos, will one take up his/her dreams as well? only Poseidon knows!! Awesome Nick! well done!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 21:53   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
I checked ya out! Liked and subscribed! The passion lives!! Think of the people you will inspire with your videos, will one take up his/her dreams as well? only Poseidon knows!! Awesome Nick! well done!
I think this is the start of a really awesome adventure and quite a few friendships.
Old 22-03-2016, 00:58   #149

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:

That was a nice and comprehensive start for the sailing vlog. It seems you already have most of the useful skills and understanding (whatever you can get without spending lots of time on sailing boats) under your belt.

One thing I have not seen discussed yet is safety at sea. But my guess is that you already understand the need to double all the crucial stuff, to learn the skills, and to be careful out there. Hope you find the correct boat soon (but not too hastily), so we will see more of the story.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 04:44   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

On the sailing thing, I think it's overrated.
By that I mean it's just not that difficult, I had never sailed anything, never had been on a sailboat before buying the one I have now.
Now boat sense, is a different animal, if you don't have some experience with larger boats, well then take the classes I guess, as inertia is a terrible thing if your not expecting it

I do plan on hiring a Racer friend to teach me some tricks and teach the wife this Summer, but so far as just being able to sail around and go places, it's mostly common sense from what I can tell, that and trial and error.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote