Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2017, 15:52   #1

The First Sailor in the Family

Greeting Sailors,

I come to you from the sand pit of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia..my home for the past two years. I hail from Central Pennsylvania (Carlisle) and made the move to the Middle East to free myself from the bonds of student debt and monthly bills and it's been one hell of an experience.
No one in my family has ever sailed as far as I know but we have spent a lot of time on powerboats on lakes in North Idaho where my Mom grew up. So, last summer, to try something new, I signed up for a 'Competent Crew' course offered on the island of Poros, Greece. Needless to say, it was an amazing experience. Living on the boat for 6 days, sailing to new ports every night and experiencing the tranquility and beauty that is the Mediterranean!
Ever since I've been watching lots of liveaboard sailing videos and reading some material as well but it's frustrating because well, I'm in Saudi, and there's nothing here but tax free salary, and endless amounts of Overtime. No water for hundreds of miles.
I'm coming home this June and am planning on spending a couple days around Annapolis scouring the harbors for boats and talking to boat owners in hopes of gaining some wisdom and insight into the nautical life.

Long story short, I've only completed my 'competent crew' course a year ago and am still dreaming of sailing again. I'm going to the Chesapeake Area for a few days while I'm home to pick some boat owners' brains and see some boats in person.

That's my intro and I'm sticking to it! If you managed to read it all, thanks! I'll be posting on this forum quite a bit and I look forward to growing into a sailor like yourselves. Cheers!
mrktstrtmyhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 16:04   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Re: The First Sailor in the Family

Welcome to the forum mrktstrtmyhm, enjoy your search for the perfect boat for yourself.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 16:17   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard CF, mrktstrtmyhm.

Wow, that's a difficult moniker. Maybe i'll just call you Joe, for now.

It's an interesting process you're starting. I'll just comment that in general, cruisers take out the camera when it is nice conditions, so your dream gets fed; but when it's too wet and dark, you don't get much of an idea of the downsides...you may develop an idealistic view of what is actually somewhat demanding. I think you'll have an interesting trip to the States.

Ann
Old 27-04-2017, 16:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Welcome aboard CF, mrktstrtmyhm.

Wow, that's a difficult moniker. Maybe i'll just call you Joe, for now.

Ann
mrkstrtmyhm = "market street mayhem"

Something I created years ago after a soccer star who lived on Market St. in my old neighborhood..always stuck with it.

My name is Mike though, thanks for reaching out!

I understand lots of people, myself included, have this dreamy fairy tale of what sailing is like and I know it's more hard work than anything and that's what I like about it. I used to own a motorcycle and would spend hours tinkering getting to know her better and I plan on doing the same with the boat. I'm just excited the boat can take me to other countries for free
It seems I always take the road less traveled or never traveled and well, that's just my life now isn't it? Safe traveling.
Old 28-04-2017, 12:52   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

I decoded your handle as Market Start Mayhem. Pretty close!
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 15:44   #6
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrktstrtmyhm View Post
I'm just excited the boat can take me to other countries for free.
Free? ROFL.

While I do get Ann's point about the weather, right now we are fair-weather daysailers (for the most part). If the sun's out and the winds are decent, we go. If not, there's always another day. But getting caught in a storm is not necessarily my idea of fun. Living aboard and cruising full time, that would be different and I'm sure I'd agree with her.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 16:15   #7

[QUOTE=CaptsWife;2381563]Free? ROFL.=/QUOTE]

Cheaper than flights is what I'm talking about which is the main mode of transportation people use to travel around the world.

I'll sail in any weather. Just like I walk, ride, drive in any weather. I'm not interested in day cruising or coastal cruising but instead island hopping, cruising the deep blue, ocean passages, arctic sailing, the whole shabang. Life is an adventure or nothing at all (Helen Keller).
Old 28-04-2017, 16:52   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I'll sail in any weather. Just like I walk, ride, drive in any weather. I'm not interested in day cruising or coastal cruising but instead island hopping, cruising the deep blue, ocean passages, arctic sailing, the whole shabang. Life is an adventure or nothing at all (Helen Keller).
This is an extremely naive statement, Mike. While I do support your general dream, I reckon that you should get some sea time before attempting to sail "in any weather" or in high latitudes. Lack of respect for the powers of nature has lead to the demise of thoughtless adventurers so many times... don't add to t he list!

And remember sailing is the world's most expensive means of travelling fourth class...

Jim
Old 28-04-2017, 16:54   #9

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

mrkstrtmyhm - Mike

A great introduction and congrats on being your family first sailor. I could row before I could walk well and have lived aboard our yacht for 20 years. If you have so much enthusiasm now I can assure you - once bitten the bug never leaves. Enjoy your trip back to the States - the Annapolis area is home to some pretty awesome boats.

However, do remember our cruising life is not all champagne on the back deck, it can be hard work and the sea can be a cruel master but the challenges are the basis of who we are.

Best wishes - Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 17:07   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Okay, mrkstrtmyhm, Mike it is.

Ann
Old 28-04-2017, 17:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This is an extremely naive statement, Mike. While I do support your general dream, I reckon that you should get some sea time before attempting to sail "in any weather" or in high latitudes. Lack of respect for the powers of nature has lead to the demise of thoughtless adventurers so many times... don't add to t he list!

And remember sailing is the world's most expensive means of travelling fourth class...

Jim
Thanks Jim. I see I came off a little arrogant there but it's mostly enthusiasm. Cheers.
Old 28-04-2017, 17:23   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrktstrtmyhm View Post
Thanks Jim. I see I came off a little arrogant there but it's mostly enthusiasm. Cheers.
Enthusiasm is good! Enjoy the learning curve and when the time comes, enjoy the life... Ann and I sure do!

Jim

Tags
family, sail