Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2011, 17:38   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Teaching Kindergarten While Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Sock View Post
It's the little ones, age 5 or so, that I like. I wouldn't think kids that little would be taking ESL classes. Therefore, it seems like my best bet would be American/British/Canadian international schools, or an English-speaking country like New Zealand.

The question is whether those schools would hire someone who doesn't intend to stay for at least several years. In my experience as a dirt-dweller working in the aircraft industry, employers won't hire someone who wants to work for a year then take a year off. They want a wage slave.

Unless things have changed, it's really hard for a non-citizen to get a work permit in Great Britain.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 22:13   #17

Boat: wishing for MacGregor 26M to start...

Try getting a job teaching online classes so you can go where ever you like.
1usavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 23:19   #18
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The question is whether those schools would hire someone who doesn't intend to stay for at least several years. In my experience as a dirt-dweller working in the aircraft industry, employers won't hire someone who wants to work for a year then take a year off. They want a wage slave.
In my experience, KG and pre-KG (nursery) positions are usually filled by wives of local, or of expat guys who are on contracts, who often work for cheap on a local salary, but find the discount off school fees welcome. So it makes no sense to work in KG for a pittance if you are a qualified teacher who can work for a proper salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Unless things have changed, it's really hard for a non-citizen to get a work permit in Great Britain.
Not so true in teaching... inner city schools and supply agencies often employ teachers from other countries (usually english speaking natives, ie Australian, South African) to fill the huge gaps left since noone else wants to work there.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 13:17   #19

Quote:
It's the little ones, age 5 or so, that I like.
I doubt that you're going to be able to be that selective. Other countries are not going to let you take a job away from a local teacher. So, that means you're going to have to look for places where there is a shortage of teachers, and go for those jobs. Where are there shortages of teachers? Well, not in the middle-class suburbs of industrialized nations, that's for sure.

You're most likely going to be looking at third-world nations, or inner-city areas in industrialized nations. That's the reality of getting the legal permission to work in a foreign country: you either have to bring a skill that is lacking among locals, or do the work the locals don't want to do.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 14:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Actually, I wasn't referring to working in the UK, but rather to working at an international school--you know, a school in southeast Asia, India, etc, set up by expats of English-speaking countries for the purpose of educating their fellow expats' children.
One Sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 17:08   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

OK - so I'm a registered Professional Engineer who has been designing and building custom special machinery for 40 years. Additionally, I can fix about anything. I've built cars and engines, restored many boats.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising