Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2004, 17:46   #1

Teaching?

Does anyone have any experience with picking up adhoc teaching employment while cruising? I would be interested in teaching SCUBA, computers, math, science, or perhaps more. I've heard that this can work. Opinions? Thank you.

Jeremy Foster
jeremyrfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 13:40   #2

I'll put in another plug for this book...

Financial Freedom Afloat

It has a chapter or two specifically on the subject of teaching. Sorry I don't recall the details, as I'm not a teacher and wasn't to interested in those details.

Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 17:31   #3

Thanks!

I'll check that out. Thank you.
jeremyrfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 23:35   #4

Teaching

Hi Jeremy Troughout Asia and Oceana english speaking teachers are in great demand, most places if you speak to the local immigration dept of that country you will find that you won't have too much drama getting a sponsor and most of the schools will organise this for you. Several of my freinds are working in Thailand, they had no probems finding work as teachers. In OZ things are a bit tougher imigration wise but if you can find a school to sponsor you then you won't have a problem. Pretty much if a country has a need for a skill they will open doors for you. Shane
troppoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 23:48   #5

work opportunities

www.liveabroad.com
www.livingabroad.com
www.transitionsabroad.com

Check these out we have recieved transitions abroad for some time...it will have exactly what you need...other two are quite similar. good luck!
Olympia, WA
capn_nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:39   #6

Boat: Chein Yu Polaris 43 "Sand Dollar"
My wife and I stopped in Maracaibo, Venezuela for a couple of years to teach science at an "American School" there. In general, American or International Schools as they are known, require accredited teachers, but they can make exceptions if you have a degree in the subject area with at least 20 semester hours in the course area you will teach (varies depending on the accrediting organization). However, most such schools will not be able to put you into a schedule where you only teach one subject - the schools are generally not that large - so they may find themselves bending the rules a bit and this may lead them to conclude you are not worth the hassle. Most of these schools worldwide hire staff during the timeframe of December through the end of February for staff positions that begin the following August or September. If you miss the hiring window, your chances of being hired are much lower. I have also noticed that schools are very bad about returning email - I cannot remember ever receiving an email response to an unsolicited inquiry from a school. Best of luck

Cade
Sand Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote