Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 15:07   #1

Sunken balsa cored sailboat

Hello everyone my name is George I am basically new to sailing forum I am really excited to be on the site. I am currently looking to buy or 30 foot sunken vessel with Balsa core can anyone tell me if this is a wise investment or not.
islandbowy1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:11   #2

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
Re: sunken balsa cored sailboat i

Probably not! There are way too many issues that would have to be dealt with. If you are looking for a cheap fixer upper, there are hundreds around afloat! George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:47   #3

Boat: Ohlson 29

Welcome to CF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbowy1978 View Post
30 foot sunken vessel with Balsa core
Define 'sunken' please?
Has the boat been under for a longer period, or is it afloat bit with water inside ...
Different people mean different things sometimes

But as gts1544 said: probably not ...
Usually fixer upper means ending up with a boat exactly to your liking, but only after spending twice as much $ on it as a similar boat in ready-to-go condition would have cost
Old 18-01-2016, 07:03   #4

Thank you guys for the speedy response,
So I was running out of time as it was an auction paid a bit more for the boat than I would like but still feels like a good deal as I really live the layout style look of the boat.
The bad took owner ship nothing works that I kinda expected as it was under water.the wood cabinets etc looks awesome no delamination.
I am going to do the electric work my self and all wood finishing.
I will attempt the engine repair as I understand how they work but if it gets overwhelming will seek help.
For now I am excited I will see what happens next.
Old 24-01-2016, 06:30   #5

My first post. I'd really enjoy an occasional update from time to time. As I'm new to this site, and an inexperienced sailor (crewed a few times), I'm neither privy to the customs of this site nor protocol. If O.P. wishes you are welcome to P.M. me. I'm considering the same route (buy a fixer upper), but only after I learn and crew a whole lot more.
LostPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 06:46   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. sunken balsa cored sailboat i
Hello everyone my name is George I am basically new to sailing forum I am really excited to be on the site. I am currently looking to buy or 30 foot sunken vessel with Balsa core can anyone tell me if this is a wise investment or not.
Bad idea to buy any boat that has been submerged, especially in salt water.
A balsa cored boat even worse.

Some boats have a negative value, that means it cost more to fix them up than they will ever be worth after they are repaired. Better and cheaper to buy a well maintained boat that has never been sunk or had any other issues.

This has been discussed many times before and a quick forum or Google search should yield lots of information.
Old 24-01-2016, 06:52   #7

Quote:
. Thank you guys for the speedy response,
So I was running out of time as it was an auction paid a bit more for the boat than I would like but still feels like a good deal as I really live the layout style look of the boat.
Possible wind-up from some of the hooligans over at sailnet taking bets how many responses they can get from CF members?

Quote:
The bad took owner ship nothing works
Not sure what that means? English second language, or just stoned?
Old 24-01-2016, 07:00   #8

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

The bad, took ownership, nothing works. Kind of expected that.

Sometimes one must add punctuation in the most likely spots. Which I much easier if one is stoned.
Old 24-01-2016, 07:02   #9

Sniff...sniff.....is that troll breath I smell?

It's widely known that as boats age the balsa core dries out and shrinks, weakening the structure. Also makes the boat rattle annoyingly while you're sailing. Occasional submersion in salt or fresh water will rehydrate the core, tightening up and rejuvenating the structure. If possible, you should check with the previous owner to see how long the boat was submerged. If less than 72 hours, you may want to re-submerge her.

The engine should be fine, so long as it wasn't running when it sank. There may be water in the fuel tank, so you'll want to drain it and add fresh. Or just pour in some Dri-Gas if you're in a hurry. Should start right up. If you know how engines work, you know they deliberately circulate water through them for cooling purposes, therefore the submersion in water has no ill effect. However, you probably want to blow dry your alternator before you run it.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 07:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post

It's widely known that as boats age the balsa core dries out and shrinks, weakening the structure. Also makes the boat rattle annoyingly while you're sailing. Occasional submersion in salt or fresh water will rehydrate the core, tightening up and rejuvenating the structure. If possible, you should check with the previous owner to see how long the boat was submerged. If less than 72 hours, you may want to re-submerge her.

The engine should be fine, so long as it wasn't running when it sank. There may be water in the fuel tank, so you'll want to drain it and add fresh. Or just pour in some Dri-Gas if you're in a hurry. Should start right up. If you know how engines work, you know they deliberately circulate water through them for cooling purposes, therefore the submersion in water has no ill effect. However, you probably want to blow dry your alternator before you run it.
If it is posted on the Internet, it must be true.
Old 26-01-2016, 07:38   #11

Thank you everyone again for your responses,as I am new to sailing about 1 year into it.
I am really excited to be a part of this forum.
As you know I bought the boat cause I loved the layout,now I've been busy just cleaning her up when I can and salvaging what I can be for I really get to work on her.
I will post before and after pics for anyone who's interested about my progress.
Old 26-01-2016, 07:43   #12

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbowy1978 View Post
As you know I bought the boat cause I loved the layout
Wait a minute ... You bought a sunken balsa cored sailboat cos you liked the layout?

Somehow, I find that hard to believe.
Old 26-01-2016, 08:09   #13

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post

Lol haha, you make my day!!! rehydrate the core.... hohoho
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 08:19   #14

Re: Sunken balsa cored sailboat

One can always dry the ex-submerged boat by using a turkey fryer on board. Just saying...
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 08:22   #15

Re: Sunken balsa cored sailboat

2 OP:

Unless the boat is less than 5-10 years old the insurance company should've been paying YOU to take the boat off of their hands.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core, sail, sailboat