Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2014, 09:30   #1

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox
Strategy for sailing south from Maine...

Most insurance cos let you sail south (with a final destination Fort Lauderdale) before 1 November only to a certain point. Looking at the weather in November, it looks a bit cold to me - a Hawaiian sailor. I know Don Street has some ideas about this. Any ideas from folks on this forum? Would love to sail south in July or August or... Aloha.
Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 09:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Strategy for sailing south from Maine...

Which boat do you plan to use...??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 10:25   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Strategy for sailing south from Maine...

Not sure just what you are asking.

Insurance policies don't prevent you from sailing anywhere, they just don't cover you if you go South of about the Georgia line. In reality boats are probably safer in the St. Johns River hurricane holes or on the hard in that area than coastal Georgia.

And lets not forget Sandy was one of the most expensive storms ever because it hit the NY/NJ area where hurricanes are not expected so few folks have experience preparing for them.

If you want to sail South any time of year there is nothing stopping you from doing it. If you want advice about the wisdom of doing it you will get lots of conflicting answers. If you want advice about the best routes, marinas, places to dock, and the like you need to be more specific about the size of your boat and budget.

If I recall the worst place to be in frequency of hurricanes making a landfall is the North Carolina Coast, next was the Abacos. But folks stay in those areas year round.

You pay your money and you take your chances.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 10:44   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I believe tomfl is right about the limits insurance companies place on you during hurricane season. If I recall correctly, mine set the northern limit of the "Box" that you have to stay out of from June 1st through Oct 31st (or your deductibles will go up) at about the GA/FL border. Yours may be different.

How are you planning to work your way south? If you go via the ICW, you can easily get into "semi-warm" territory before Nov 1st. If offshore, you just have to bite the bullet (a full cockpit enclosure helps a lot!) I'd recommend working your way down to Beaufort, NC as a staging point for going offshore. Wait for a front to come through and go. You'll have a few days to make southing before the next one passes over you. If you're just heading to Ft Lauderdale, I'd recommend not crossing the Gulf Stream--stay inside it and you'll sometimes see a little help from a counter-current.
Old 26-05-2014, 14:22   #5

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Which boat do you plan to use...??
. Taking the Hughes 46 south. The boat is really a 46' x 44' Multi-50, same 72' mast and 5.5 tons, just a few feet shorter. Fast boat.

Some folks say sail to Bermuda in Nov. and wait a month or two before sailing a course south west. Street says "No". Sail during the summer to Beaufort, NC, and then south after the H season. I don't think I can sail that far south with my policy and still be covered, but I will ck it out.
Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine, sail, sailing