Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 09:02   #31

Boat: Hake 32RK
Re: state registration vs. documentation

The advantage to keeping the US documentation is you don't have to plaster state numbers all over your bows......and if you go offshore to another place you are still a US documented vessel....the state still wants its money so you still have to buy the annual sticker and display it but its inconspicuous compared to the state registration number.....
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:04   #32

Boat: Hake 32RK

I also found upon returning to FL from caribbean that I didn't need to get state registration for my dinghy just the sticker....
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:28   #33
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
For example, in Md., you do NOT have to show the numbers if documented, but you must register and show the Md sticker.
The Fed regs override the state's. My understanding is that what you state is illegal for them to require, and thus likely false.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:46   #34

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
The Fed regs override the state's. My understanding is that what you state is illegal for them to require, and thus likely false.
Your understanding is incorrect, and thus likely false.

From personal experience, having received a warning, and given the verbiage on a pamphlet, I’ll share this with you from YachtDocs, https://www.yachtdocsonline.com/sing...d-State-Decals. Note the next to the last sentence.

“There's a lot of confusion over whether - and when - a Coast Guard Documented vessel needs to be registered with the state. The short answer is that UCSG Documented boats never need to be titled with the state, but may need to be registered with the state depending on how long the boat is on the state's waters.

First, as to the titling of the vessel, a vessel may either be state titled or federally documented, but not both. Think of USCG documentation like your title - that's really what it is, even though it has another name. In fact, federal law under 46 U.S.C. § 12106 actually prohibits a USCG Documented vessel from being state titled, and a state cannot require a USCG Documented vessel to display numbers.

However, states may still require registration of USCG Documented vessels for tax and other purposes. What's the difference between the title and the registration? The title is a formal, colored document used to prove and transfer ownership. The registration typically consists of a registration card and an annual state decal which must affixed to the boat. So while the Coast Guard Documentation is your boat's title, you may have to also register with a state.”

With regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:55   #35

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Aren't you guys disagreeing about the same thing? If it's documented then it can't have state reg. numbers but most likely the state will want the sticker (and the money) In WA that sticker has to be on the hull(s).
Old 05-04-2019, 12:09   #36
cruiser

Yes, I never said you don't need to register, "render to Caesar" the fees / taxes due.

Just talking about whose **numbers** is required to be displayed.

Once your "documented" status numbers / stickers are in place you just need to keep your state reg evidence handy, some states may give a "fee paid" sticker?

From USCG FAQ

States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements.
Old 05-04-2019, 13:31   #37

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
The "Official Number" was put on the boat by the manufacturer ....this is the number used on your CG registration.

The manufacturer puts the Hull Identification Number (HIN) on the (modern) boat when it's built. That's not the USCG "Official Number" for documented vessels.

-Chris
Old 05-04-2019, 13:38   #38
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

I don't have to deal with the California DMV!

When I bought my California-registered boat, that has hull number 75, I couldn't get a California title out of the DMV. Someone else, who owned another boat with hull number 75, had a lien.

After several months of calling and writing the DMV to sort it out, I finally got my title. Within days, I'd switched to USCG documentation. I did it myself, by the way. It was a breeze.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 14:45   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Aren't you guys disagreeing about the same thing? If it's documented then it can't have state reg. numbers but most likely the state will want the sticker (and the money) In WA that sticker has to be on the hull(s).
No disagreement here; that’s what I said about Md in the first place: For example, in Md., you do NOT have to show the numbers if documented, but you must register and show the Md sticker.
Old 05-04-2019, 16:35   #40
cruiser

Then my apologies for misinterpreting your words.
Old 05-04-2019, 17:11   #41

Quote:
Then my apologies for misinterpreting your words.
No apology needed; simple misunderstanding.

And honestly, I’m still confused by the DNR fellow who told me I can put the sticker at the base of the mast!
Old 05-04-2019, 18:16   #42

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
It is astounding to me that so many boat owners resident in the US appear to know so little about state boat registration. One thing for sure, CG documentation does NOT obviate the need to comply with state boating laws. Boat registration is mandatory in most states in the US, though the actual rules and eligibility vary from state to state. It is certainly easy enough to obtain the state information (anyone coming here obviously has a computer and can use the internet). Most states require registration for most boats, and most states require that you display the current state registration stickers (I said most - rules vary in a few states). States also typically wave the requirement for display of state registration numbers on documented vessels, as the CG states that such numbers should not be displayed on documented vessels. On the other hand, most commercial fishing vessels have to display fishing permit numbers in large letters on their vessels and the CG raises no objections to that so go figure.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:12   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
One thing for sure, CG documentation does NOT obviate the need to comply with state boating laws. Boat registration is mandatory in most states in the US, though the actual rules and eligibility vary from state to state.
None of what you wrote contradicts anything I wrote.

All I am saying is that no state is legally allowed to require that their registration **numbers** be displayed once a boat is federally documented with the USCG.

The stickers they **are** allowed to require are simply to show that their requirements for fees / taxes registration etc have been fulfilled.

The above has been also stated by others all over this website, and never credibly refuted afaict.

Commercial fishing permits are another topic entirely.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:18   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
And honestly, I’m still confused by the DNR fellow
I find it very common that individual bureaucrats will have their own unique interpretation of the regs.

Usually a fair bit of leeway is granted, long as they get the fee / tax revenues to cover their salaries, whole point of these regs in the first place.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:19   #45

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
None of what you wrote contradicts anything I wrote.
You wrote - "The Fed regs override the state's." That is incorrect. They do not. You are required to follow the boating registration rules of your state. Most specifically you are required to obtain state registration for your boat if required by your state, even if your boat is CG documented. (Much has been made here of the normal practice of states requiring the registration stickers but not the large state numbers to be displayed on the hull in the case of CG documented vessels. Yes, that is correct and is spelled out in the state regs in every state where I have owned a boat.)
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men, registration