Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 19:17   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: starter boat

We have a trailer sailor as our bigger boat is in Charter. We bought it last summer and figured have a trailer sailor would save on the mooring costs and other costs. After using it twice before the season ended (we bought it end of the season) we ended up getting a mooring this year.

I think it all depends on the boat you get, but at 22', our mast is not that difficult to raise, but it does take both my wife and I - with the right rigging, I could probably do it myself. Now we just have a short dinghy ride and we're on the boat ready to go. Well worth the added cost for us as it makes it much easier to go for a short sail.

So make sure whatever you get is really easy to rig as that will make a big difference in use. The advantage for us is that we can still haul it ourselves and store it on the trailer so we save there. Although we have learned we need to keep the keel down, so I expect we'll have to have it hauled so we can clean it to get the keel up end of season.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:12   #17

Teknav and maytrix
Sound advice, I think a club membership for ease of use and developing my skills is probably money well spent for now, the boat will come later. Thanks all of you for you helpful advice.
Cosney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:19   #18

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Google the names of any sailboats you are interested in and find local ones to look at. Use www.sailboatdata.com for info
Here is my list of sailboats that should be able to handle weather on Lake Superior:
Folkboat 25, some cockpits drain bilge
Frances/Morris 26, keel mast
Contessa/J.J. Taylor 26
Pearson Triton 28, later Pb ballast
Cape Dory 25D
Falmouth Cutter 22, (Pardey's)
Bristol 27, newer had iron filing, rust; tall with hatch open, long bunks
Pacific Seacraft Dana 24, very fancy
Flicka 20
Pacific Seacraft 25
Cal 20, fast easy to sail
Cape Dory Typhoon 18.5
Com-Pac 19, fixed keel option
Antrim 20
Corinthian 19 (20), light air
Golif 21 wrap around windshield
Sirius 22 fixed keel version (21)
Alberg 22
Bristol Caravel 22 fixed keel
Cape Dory Typhoon Senior 22
Pearson Electra 22
Ranger 23 (22), not Ranger Fun
Santana 22, easy to sail
Bayfield 25 (23)
Cape Cod Marlin 23
Erickson 23
Herreshoff Prudence 23
O'day Tempest 23 not swing keel
Sea Sprite 23 & Alberg 23
South Coast 23, shallow draft
Allegra 24, streatched Flicka 20
Bridge Point 24, expensive
Gladiator 24 similar Lapworth
Lapworth, AKA L24 raised deck
Pearson Lark 24 flush deck, crusing
Bristol Corsair 24 (25)
Cape Dory 25
Cheoy Lee Flyer III 25 fiberglass
Com-Pac 25, fixed keel
Eastsail 25 cabin top high
Kaiser 25 high quality
Rhodes Meridian 25
Vancouver 25 (24), hobbyhorse in chop
Verture II 25
Whitby 25 Folkboat
Walton 25, Continental 25, Great Lakes Folkboat
Cape Dory 26
Cheoy Lee Offshore 26 not well built
Pearson Ariel 26 (25' 7") Carl Alberg
Voyager 26
Westerly Centaur 26
Cape Dory 27
Cheoy Lee New Cadet/Offshore 27
Dockrell 27
Halcyon 27
Nor'sea 27
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:38   #19

We also live in Minnesota and own a ComPac Picnic Cat trailer sailor. It has a centerboard and is very easy to launch with the two of us. My husband could probably do it by himself but I'm too short to raise the mast alone.

We're able to take our boat out every weekend of the summer on various lakes throughout the Minneapolis metro area. This has allowed us to grasp the basics of sailing.

Over the past year, we've graduated to larger boats and have bareboat chartered twice in the BVIs. Our little boat can't take the place of that type of experience, but does allow us to sail for fun without the cost of travel. Having a trailer sailor also let's us explore other lakes throughout the state.

We've considered buying a larger boat to use at home, but ultimately decided to save the money and charter when time/money allows. And - for now - we'll keep our little boat for weekend use.
Swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:02   #20

Boat: AMF Sunfish, Hobie One,(Holder 14) Rhodes Conntenetal 22 and Sea-Ray, Ski Ray 180.

Cosney, Whatever the boat you will need to learn maintenance for it. If you have the time, patience and skill to do do so DISTRESSED boats are a great way to learn. I now have a small "fleet" that I have brought back to life. First a Holder 14' ($300),salvaged trailer ($150) and a Sunfish 16' (free) trailer ($50.). During the two years I worked on them I volunteered as rail bait/crew member at the yacht club during there races.
I just adopted a Rhodes Continental 22' and trailer (free).
Labor and material for all three. Around $1500.00 as total investment.
I found the Rhodes at "Bone Yard Boats".
The work and material for the Rhodes may bring me up around $3K. Not too bad for three trailerable boats.
William A. Ward
puregeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:27   #21

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic
Re: starter Boat

Right now I am working on a major renovation project on an old 30ft classic, and as much as I like fiddling with it and as much as the numbers make sense compared to renting, I wouldn't do it again. 25ft+ is great for multi-day trips, but if a quick sail or day-sailing is your thing a trailer and a smaller boat makes more sense.

Personally I've always said that my next one won't be bigger, but a smaller trailerboat, a dragoon to be precise. All about the sail,,,
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote