Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2014, 22:12   #31

Re: Start Business Repairing Solar Panels

This reminds me of when I taught at Instructor Training School in Pearl Harbor. Each of the students had to prep and give a 20 minute lecture on any topic they chose. One very good student gave an outstanding lecture about the poor Nauga animals that were slaughtered by the thousands just for their precious hide, which the Navy used by the mile as Naugahyde, which covers virtually everything on board a ship.

He had several great slides of shepherds with some really odd looking sheep, which he dramatically pointed out were destined to be cut down in the prime of their lives just for their hides. Suddenly a young blonde student burst into tears and was totally devastated by the though of these poor animals getting slaughtered.

It took every ounce of my self control to keep a straight face, and the guy giving the lecture did an outstanding job of selling it, he looked pretty choked up himself. Finally the lecture was over and he got a huge round of applause from the entire class, except for the blonde who was totally confused why everyone was suddenly all smiles and backslapping. We spent the entire break, plus another 20 minutes trying to convince her that there is no such thing as a Nauga and that Naugahyde is just vinyl, synthetic. LOL She was soo embarrassed that she was totally taken in by his lecture.

I told her it wasn't her fault, the guy who gave the lecture was a natural, he could sell ice cubes to Eskimos! I gave him 100% on that lecture! LOL
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 22:31   #32

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
You know my solar panels are not working right about half the time. Oh they work ok during the day, but boy does the output fall off at night. I think my flux capacitor is broken. Any thought on how to recover all that night time dark energy???
This sounds like a rare case of a Encabulator that has been installed incorrectly.
I refer you to the Rockwell research on an optimized energy transmission system that will fix this.

Old 11-08-2014, 22:33   #33

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
This reminds me of when I taught at Instructor Training School in Pearl Harbor. Each of the students had to prep and give a 20 minute lecture on any topic they chose. One very good student gave an outstanding lecture about the poor Nauga animals that were slaughtered by the thousands just for their precious hide, which the Navy used by the mile as Naugahyde, which covers virtually everything on board a ship.

He had several great slides of shepherds with some really odd looking sheep, which he dramatically pointed out were destined to be cut down in the prime of their lives just for their hides. Suddenly a young blonde student burst into tears and was totally devastated by the though of these poor animals getting slaughtered.

It took every ounce of my self control to keep a straight face, and the guy giving the lecture did an outstanding job of selling it, he looked pretty choked up himself. Finally the lecture was over and he got a huge round of applause from the entire class, except for the blonde who was totally confused why everyone was suddenly all smiles and backslapping. We spent the entire break, plus another 20 minutes trying to convince her that there is no such thing as a Nauga and that Naugahyde is just vinyl, synthetic. LOL She was soo embarrassed that she was totally taken in by his lecture.

I told her it wasn't her fault, the guy who gave the lecture was a natural, he could sell ice cubes to Eskimos! I gave him 100% on that lecture! LOL
Haha, good story I was stationed in Hawaii, 25th dimension Schofield. We always loved going to the Navy and AF bases. They had the best chow, well comparatively speaking 93-96 for reference
Old 12-08-2014, 06:29   #34

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

The best Naugahyde comes from Naugatuck, NJ. It's the water.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:37   #35

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I can buy a new 290W panel for $270. How much would you charge to "fix it"?

Starting a solar field and collecting neutrons and than reselling them to those that have broken panels and need them. yep that's another idea.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:46   #36

Boat: Bristol 35
pirate Re: Start Business Repairing Solar Panels

I can see a need for solar panel repair right away! All the dirt and debris must be kept away from the silicon (not to be confused with silicone that the lady of the boat had implanted as a permanent life vest ) if that silicon gets dirty there is no way it will have room for electrons . Now we can also do a recharge of the boron (this will also help to keep the bugs at bay )
Next we can take pictures of the photo (get it- pictures) voltaic cells to ensure they continue working to max capacity. Speaking of capacity- the flux capacitors will need to be changed out yearly.
Yep- this is an excellent idea- I bet all the big yachties with crew will hire us immediately once they find out how ill prepared they are to keep having cold drinks and steaks for dinner.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:47   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
This sounds like a rare case of a Encabulator that has been installed incorrectly.
I refer you to the Rockwell research on an optimized energy transmission system that will fix this.

Brilliant.... 'The Peruvian Academy of Scatological Sciences'
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:07   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
I can see a need for solar panel repair right away! All the dirt and debris must be kept away from the silicon (not to be confused with silicone that the lady of the boat had implanted as a permanent life vest ) if that silicon gets dirty there is no way it will have room for electrons . Now we can also do a recharge of the boron (this will also help to keep the bugs at bay )
Next we can take pictures of the photo (get it- pictures) voltaic cells to ensure they continue working to max capacity. Speaking of capacity- the flux capacitors will need to be changed out yearly.
Yep- this is an excellent idea- I bet all the big yachties with crew will hire us immediately once they find out how ill prepared they are to keep having cold drinks and steaks for dinner.
I was hoping for the job cleaning the siicone out casing.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:29   #39

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I was hoping for the job cleaning the siicone out casing.
I had not thought about that job position- if the business gets up and going you will have first dibs at that position as I think I'll pass on it though I can see another money making possibility if I decided to take that position
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:10   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post
Haha, good story I was stationed in Hawaii, 25th dimension Schofield. We always loved going to the Navy and AF bases. They had the best chow, well comparatively speaking 93-96 for reference
I was there June '89 to Nov. '94, we loved it! Lived in Catlin Park housing, right across the street from the airport. We had so many visitors from the mainland all of the airport security guys became good friends and would let me leave my car parked at the curb and let my 2 dogs into the baggage claim area!

A good friend of mine was there with me from '89 to '92, then got stationed back in San Diego. He calls me up on a Sat. and says meet him at Moose's at about 5 pm. I go and meet him, he took a MAC flight from SD to Hickam on Fri afternoon, went surfing all day Sat., we partied all night Sat. night, then I met him at Hickam chow hall for Eggs Benedict Sunday brunch. Turns out, he would fly in once a month or so mostly for the Eggs Benedict, but he'd get a little surfing and drinking/dancing in as an added bonus!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 14:59   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Good lord, not the Encabulator again. Thought I had that fixed ages ago. Went to west marine and all they had was Blue Encabulator's and I needed a Red one. Sigh.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 15:02   #42

Someone should fix those as a business
Old 12-08-2014, 15:03   #43

Besides you want a white one to redirect the radiated heat back into the system.
Old 13-08-2014, 10:20   #44

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Well I think there is so much demand for repairing solar panels,
an even better idea is to open up a school and teach others how to repair solar panels, and you too can become a certified Solar Panel Mechanic.

(BTW, the 70's Encabulator design shown is now only the size of a fingernail.
Amazing what progress has occurred with modern technoscientology!)
Old 13-08-2014, 10:37   #45

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

I would like you to refer to the pointer sisters....

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels