Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2012, 14:42   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Splash. 40 years in the making.

Good un mate...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 14:44   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Splash. 40 years in the making.

Congrats! Lovely looking boat. You must feel so proud .

PS Cook's quote is a good one

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 14:48   #18

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Great to see congrats and good sailing I will look out for you I am sure you will head to FNQ one of these days Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 14:54   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Congrats!

Lovely lines for a 40-year-old!
Old 27-12-2012, 15:45   #20

Boat: William Bollard, Gypsy Wave, 28'

Thanks for all the replies guys and gals,...

After the arduous hard slog that was my run to the finish line to get my boat mostly completed and the water.

Its been nice so far just sitting here relaxing and trying not to do any work

Cant help myself though, have been fiddling to finish off the little things that cant be done until your in the water.

Weather has been absolutely gorgeous, with the exception of two days or rain that filled my tanks and showed me the few small leaks that i had.

Watching the wildlife swim and dart, glide and float around the boat has been so relaxing that my mental state is becoming harmonic and slowly balancing itself for want of a better word or description.

Ahh peace. Nothing nicer than sitting on a duck board you made, with your feet in the water having a cold drink, whilst gently rocking to the breeze.

Peace and happiness for all mankind.

Matthew

p.s i must have been more nice that naughty as Santa gave me a brand new boat for Christmas
Old 27-12-2012, 16:44   #21

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah

Such a sweet little boat...she's gorgeous. Do you have any more pictures of her before and after, or just in general now? Do you have a website/blog that followed the progress? Can you tell me a little more about the boat herself? Is she a kit, or a home design/build job? Best of luck with your travels...my first mate is also rather hairy and having twice the normal legs.
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 17:35   #22

Hi there H3LlIoN

She is a William Bollard Gipsy Wave 28", originally designed in the late 60's. I have only ever seen three of them with mine being one of those three.

I know that by 1975 she was mostly complete as the sails that came for her with my purchase were from Lee Sails in Hong Kong and Lee Sails tracked the serial numbers on the sails to that date.

Back then you bought the plans and built them yourself.

I have attached an original magazine article about her design, as for pictures of the build, yes i took photos all along the way.

The story was that the original owner/builder made her for his own boat, but prior to completion he died and the boat was left land locked in a field here for over 40 years until the second owner bought her and moved her to the local slipway and did nothing with her. About 7 months after that i happened along to look at another boat in that yard, saw her, saw value for money and purchased her as the third owner.

Guess that the saying is true, that it takes three owners to launch a boat.

I will be doing my own personal record of the boat once i get a new laptop, and as i dont have much left in the way of close friends or family so i dont feel that i need to put all my personal life out there on the web.

Apart from that my only crew cant read and she is already part of the journey...haha

The hull is home built but to a very professional standard, all cor-ten steel in the hull, anything on the hull is stainless, very very straight single chine, no distortion waves, every plate section has an edge that is like a jigsaw pattern were its welded, not just straight plate edges (can you imagine how accurate you'd have to be to do that!)

As the hull was such a neat and tough little bugger to start with i have done what i can to make everything else a little bit of overkill to follow suit with that philosophy.

Also i wanted a go anywhere, take anything sort of boat, hence the name "DEFIANT"

Rigging is all 10 mm stainless, lowers are 8 mm as there only 4 meters long.
Anchor winch is a vetus alexander III 1500 watt with 10 mm chain.

Lifelines are all 8 mm same as the lower shrouds (they cam become my spare jury rig if need be)

Part of the cement ballast under the motor, next to the mast was jack hammered out and made into a water proof battery compartment for my AGM battery's.

All tanks fuel 70 l / water 100 l x 2 etc, spare chain or heavy loads are at or below water line and secured from rollovers

Completed boat is setup for single handed sailing, twin furlers up front, all lines to cockpits.

Electronics are all big colour (12" & 6") screens that are easily seen from the cockpit. 48 nm radar chart plotter, 1000m sounder, st 4000 tiller pilot.

Power wise im totally self sufficient got 700 watts of solar over two separate banks and two regulators plus the little wind generator.

My only deficiency here is that i need two more AGM battery's (making a total of six 120 a/h) to store all the excess power i make for a rainy day
Rear solar panels act as rain catchment and a power survivor 35 desalinator should take care of the rest or my water needs, plus all fresh water is on manual hand pumps so there's no wastage.

6 Extra lockable water tight hatches cabin x 1, head x 1, saloon x 2, lazarette x 2) were scattered all over the boat to make it light and airy and have great ventilation as well as 2 extra fixed windows and 2 fan fitted cowl vents (chain locker and galley vent).

Primers & Paint is all Jotun 2 pack epoxy, about 8 layers above & below water, plus some all over the inside too.

Ohh and the 5 sails and motor were all new.

Head is a dry room, i dont have a shower in the boat only in the cockpit, and yes i can have hot water, salt or fresh, but i plan on making the head into my grow room for some plants and veggies.

I'm fairly proud of what i have achieved, as i did it in a tough way financially and location wise. But all in all i think that i got a good result for my efforts.

Lastly thanks for your interest in my boat, makes me feel proud that i have made something that others take notice of. If you have any other questions let me know.

Good luck to you and your hairy crew, fair winds to you.

Matthew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gipsey Wave.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	51777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gipsey Wave 001.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	51778  

Old 27-12-2012, 17:39   #23

Boat: O'Day 28

Good job well done. Thanks for the inspiration, Sir.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 17:45   #24

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah

Matthew -

Thanks for the response...she's definitely gorgeous. Hopefully I'll see you out there some day. I'd be interested in seeing some of the before pics, if you do get around to posting. She sure looks stout, and it sounds like you've set her up perfectly to go around. Best of luck to you and Mah...you can surely feel proud of what you've done there.
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 17:53   #25

Boat: Lagoon 440

Old Billy Bollard drew some tough boats, you won't be disappointed, WELL DONE it's good to see a dream finalised...Enjoy!
Old 27-12-2012, 22:50   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by resilientg View Post
Power wise im totally self sufficient got 700 watts of solar over two separate banks and two regulators plus the little wind generator.
WOW! You must be able to light up half of Townsville with that .
I don't know that I could use all that power on board even if I bought a hairdryer and curling iron LOL.

Old 27-12-2012, 23:02   #27

Boat: Custom

Mate - what an achievement.

Huge, your lost friends and family who left you in the wake of this project really should be feeling ashamed, embarrassed and most of all totally embarrassed in themselves.

She is pretty, floats nicely and has an amazing history spanning decades at "birth"

Well done and fair winds for the future, it sounds like you deserve it

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 23:45   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
WOW! You must be able to light up half of Townsville with that .
I don't know that I could use all that power on board even if I bought a hairdryer and curling iron LOL.
My dear big wattage is needed for the rainy overcast days.

On a good sunny day i definitely produce excess power and can do anything i want during the day power wise, and no matter what i do the next morning at 8 am im full again.

But the solar bank is for the times when theres not much power and my chosen consumption is still the same.

On a really overcast day i might only get 30- 80 amps input compared to a few hundred on a normal day (not counting the wind gen)

long term i dont want to be stuck in the tropics just for the sake of the sun you see.

Once i got a bit more coin i will find somewhere to stash 2 more batteries so that even the rainiest of rainy days doesn't rain on my parade.

I believe in the 1 amp for 1 watt principle you see

and anyway, consumption if cruising = ...

radio at modreate sound 5 a/h
2 x fans 1 a/h (one for the hound napping in the cabin one for me)
fridge / freezer 4 a/h
radar / chart plotter / vhf / sounder / autopilot 16 a/h
desalination 5 a/h

it all adds up

Matthew
Old 28-12-2012, 00:07   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by resilientg View Post
My dear big wattage is needed for the rainy overcast days.
Will reply later, just about to launch the dinghy and head ashore for market day.