Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2019, 01:09   #106

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Re: Spend before you See...Time for a change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook1e View Post
You should check out this cat, right there in Thailand

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...ource=enhanced listing&refSource=enhanced listing

Unless it's a bait and switch.
LMAO... my wife and I loved these.. but you would not believe the coincidence here. X5s were on my shortlist of 4... the Xquisite owner had (still has I think) a Dean 5000 for sale and I asked to have a look at it (It's in charter) .. he said "hire it for a week for $26000 And if you buy it I'll knock off the rental off the price"
I walked away from that too and did more research.. I have now dropped them from the list due to my PERCEPTION of how well they sail.

I may be completely wrong but will now never find out.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 03:11   #107

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
"hire it for a week for $26000
I do hope that this is a misprint! 26 grand for that??

Good grief!

Jim
Old 26-10-2019, 04:07   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
It was in the water at the bottom of his garden and all I wanted was to look round. The "going out on the water" was a suggestion, nothing more.

Story changes again.

"No not at all.. here is the verbatim email i sent:

Hi Kelvin, I am from the UK but am currently in Thailand and am interested in the Knysna "My Happiness".

I have done a lot of research and we feel the Knysna, indeed this example, is a perfect boat for us. That said i have never seen one in the flesh. I would like to know whether the seller is willing to show me around the boat and show me how it sails.*"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 04:16   #109

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Story changes again.

"No not at all.. here is the verbatim email i sent:

Hi Kelvin, I am from the UK but am currently in Thailand and am interested in the Knysna "My Happiness".

I have done a lot of research and we feel the Knysna, indeed this example, is a perfect boat for us. That said i have never seen one in the flesh. I would like to know whether the seller is willing to show me around the boat and show me how it sails.*"
A lack of hunger from a "salesman" is the constant story I read, get of your ass and do what's needed to turn a enquiry into a tour and then a tour into a sale.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 06:54   #110

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
A lack of hunger from a "salesman" is the constant story I read, get of your ass and do what's needed to turn a enquiry into a tour and then a tour into a sale.

100pct agree with this view
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 07:12   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
100pct agree with this view

And Heath68 - why don’t you go and visit the Knysna factory in Sth Africa ? - it’s a lovely town and the Knysna people will be very helpful. You will learn a huge amount about the Knysna 500Se by seeing them being built. Alternative find out which boat shows they are attending. I went onboard at Annapolis recently - it’s not difficult.
Old 17-11-2019, 08:36   #112

Boat: Looking now!

This is the second time I've heard of such a thing. Ridiculous. I'm becoming more and more of the mind that just like homes and cars, it's more about what you do with it that makes it perfect.
Quote:
LMAO... my wife and I loved these.. but you would not believe the coincidence here. X5s were on my shortlist of 4... the Xquisite owner had (still has I think) a Dean 5000 for sale and I asked to have a look at it (It's in charter) .. he said "hire it for a week for $26000 And if you buy it I'll knock off the rental off the price"
I walked away from that too and did more research.. I have now dropped them from the list due to my PERCEPTION of how well they sail.

Mook1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 09:01   #113

In today's world of Nigerian fraud emails, etc who in their right mind deal with Lb500K purchase via emails? Even at the initial stages?

Having bought and sold 4-5 boats via online ads I never continued email communications past 1-2 initial emails. Those on the other side who refused my offer to continue via regular phone conversation (preferably not IP based) were put in spam folder ASAP. If you don't have time, money or inclination to discuss boat purchase over the phone you are not a serious buyer or seller. Or at least not up and up.

Also, while not making a personal judgment on OP, I find it puzzling why a 0.2% expenditure of the boat buying budget is such a burden as to prevent the buyer from taking a trip down to where the boat was. I'm pretty sure that should he have shown up unannounced at the borker's offices that week he would have been at least shown the boat in person. And perhaps that would have led to further discussions/negotiations. In the scheme of things where the total price is 500K to spend 1/5 of 1% of that on a look see trip is not unreasonable or financially very prohibitive. And perhaps that was what the broker was thinking about when ignoring 7 or 8 emails without an attempted phone call.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 03:18   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
In today's world of Nigerian fraud emails, etc who in their right mind deal with Lb500K purchase via emails? Even at the initial stages?

Having bought and sold 4-5 boats via online ads I never continued email communications past 1-2 initial emails. Those on the other side who refused my offer to continue via regular phone conversation (preferably not IP based) were put in spam folder ASAP. If you don't have time, money or inclination to discuss boat purchase over the phone you are not a serious buyer or seller. Or at least not up and up.

Also, while not making a personal judgment on OP, I find it puzzling why a 0.2% expenditure of the boat buying budget is such a burden as to prevent the buyer from taking a trip down to where the boat was. I'm pretty sure that should he have shown up unannounced at the borker's offices that week he would have been at least shown the boat in person. And perhaps that would have led to further discussions/negotiations. In the scheme of things where the total price is 500K to spend 1/5 of 1% of that on a look see trip is not unreasonable or financially very prohibitive. And perhaps that was what the broker was thinking about when ignoring 7 or 8 emails without an attempted phone call.

The broker is appointed by the owner to find serious buyers for the boat. Part of the brokers remit is to ensure the interest he puts forward to the seller is from serious buyers. It is therefore incumbent on the broker to respond to initial enquiries and work out who is for real. It is not the brokers role to ignore buying approaches regardless of what form of communication the buyer may use. In this instance if I was the seller I would be really annoyed as the broker has not carried out his responsibilities in a conscientious and constructive fashion. The broker should have made a phone call - that’s his job.
Old 18-11-2019, 10:56   #115

Quote:

Well, Greg seemed happy....
admikar is offline   Reply With Quote