Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2014, 03:47   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Something for less

It really never ceases to amaze me, whatever a seller asks for an item, there is always somebody who will attempt to beat them down and try to get it for less, even at the risk of not getting it at all.
I know there is always going to be a disparity between sellers and buyers, so I always try to employ the old adage: ‘the best time to sell something is when you don’t need to’.
Then there is the principal of asking slightly more, and laughing all the way to the bank when you get the price you wanted in the first place.

But what a pain, dealing with such people.
Old 14-05-2014, 03:56   #2

Re: Something for less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
It really never ceases to amaze me, whatever a seller asks for an item, there is always somebody who will attempt to beat them down and try to get it for less, even at the risk of not getting it at all.
I know there is always going to be a disparity between sellers and buyers, so I always try to employ the old adage: ‘the best time to sell something is when you don’t need to’.
Then there is the principal of asking slightly more, and laughing all the way to the bank when you get the price you wanted in the first place.

Pot? Kettle?
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 04:20   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'

Many places I have worked and lived in the world, if you pay the asking price the seller immediately loses respect for you, everything is a haggle. One need not take it personally if someone tries to buy at a lower price, if you do not like the offer price you are free to reject it, no emotion involved. Being offended by an offer, says much about the seller's emotional attachment to what is being sold.
Old 14-05-2014, 04:21   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

Really? So when you go to buy a car at a dealer or a vessel you just cough up the full asking price without question or dont try to get a better value for your money?

Do you shop around for the best return on your deposits and then offer to place with a bank that you like if they will match the terms?

Have you ever considered the price that you placed on your item for sale is unrealistic and people are aware that you want to "laugh all the way to the bank" ?

Lovely.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 06:07   #5

I never said I didn’t attempt to get good value, but in private dealings—as opposed to a car dealership—I don’t automatically assume I can make an offer. If I’m interested enough, I do the seller the curtsey of asking.
I have also sold items on my list for less, and also for my asking price, just as I have declined to sell for offers which I considered too low.
I guess what I’m trying to say is, nowadays, in countries which are not culturally known for haggling, people increasingly assume they can do so. Most don’t even bother to inquire any more if a seller is prepared to even consider an offer.
As I said, there is always going to be a disparity. I just think it's widening.
Old 14-05-2014, 06:29   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37, Strike 26

I will gladly admit that i have paid full price when i felt the price was amazing to start with. I do more searching than haggling.

In selling, i try to look at the market, not my investment, and knock my asking down from there.

Works for me and i have happy buyers and am friends with more than a few sellers.

I definately make offers though and am amazed when someone is offended.
dixiepixiew32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 06:37   #7

Quote:
I never said I didn’t attempt to get good value, but in private dealings—as opposed to a car dealership—I don’t automatically assume I can make an offer. If I’m interested enough, I do the seller the curtsey of asking.
I have also sold items on my list for less, and also for my asking price, just as I have declined to sell for offers which I considered too low.
I guess what I’m trying to say is, nowadays, in countries which are not culturally known for haggling, people increasingly assume they can do so. Most don’t even bother to inquire any more if a seller is prepared to even consider an offer.
As I said, there is always going to be a disparity. I just think it's widening.
The world is a big marketplace.

No need to get insulted if someone offers less than what you think your goods are worth. You can get huffy, or you can politely decline.

The person offering less either knows the marketplace better than you, assumes you don't know the marketplace, doesn't know the value, or simply values the product differently than you.

The mistake is thinking that someone is always trying to get over on you, when it may be simply that they value the product differently than you.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 06:39   #8

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Must have now and wanting is quite different, people who must have now will pay more because emotions are involved, wanting it but i can wait is the best way because you wait till you find that person that just wants to get rid of it for what ever reason and than you can show up with cash ask even less and usually still walk away with the item.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 06:47   #9

I gi'you fee'ty for ze funny loo'in'boa' an' t'ree t'ou for ze leetle gurl, hey?

Goo'deal for you! You sell now!
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 10:32   #10

Boat: Newport 28

What also doesn't help, is if you list something that someone else believes is too high a price. A lot of people feel the need to bash your selling, your price, and then some because of it. Too many people can't just think to themselves, that's too high, and move along. It's one thing to say "Hey, you might be a little high on the asking", and leave it at that. But I've seen countless FS posts, where it starts that way, and then the potential buyer just continues the onslaught as to why the seller is ridiculous. And some of them, it's because there's added value in what's being sold, i.e. a bundle, added chart cards in plotters, etc. It's the people that feel the need to show up the seller with their vast knowledge of what things are worth and never back away, that drive me nuts.

Besides, something being sold is only worth what it's value is to a potential buyer. I've paid well under what something is worth (BN-202 for 120 bucks? Hey, not my fault you listed it in the wrong ebay section where no one would see it...). But at the same time, I've also paid equal, or at times, greater money than something was actually worth in value. Why? Because either I needed it then, or because I felt it was worth that cost to myself personally.

But man, if I'm selling something and I'm asking too much, sure, give me an honest, and courteous "You might be a little high", and I'll say thank you, do more research, and decide if I need to adjust. But don't continue to harp and harp over it. If you aren't interested, just move along, instead of shoving your opinions consistently through the deal.

Just my opinion
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 11:06   #11

“Something being sold is only worth what it's value is to a potential buyer.”
That’s absolutely right Charlzo—for everything.
My point was that nowadays it seems some people automatically assume they will get an item for less, and I have definitely had folks get snotty if I say no deal. Whereupon they have also sniggered—on this forum as well—the thing is overpriced and I’ll never get my price.
Then along pops another guy who buys, no questions, because he clearly thinks it is good value.
Old 14-05-2014, 11:13   #12

Boat: Skookum 53'

There is an old saw "there is a butt for every seat" I was told that when I was looking at some basket case boats for sale in one yard and I opined that they would never sell them. I was wrong and they were right. Many of the basket cases there were sold in a short order. I learned something that day.
Old 14-05-2014, 11:43   #13

I used to help friends and family buy cars. I am good at it and I flip around 5 cars per year. I now take a different approach with friends who ask for my help because I learned most people don't think the way I do. What I have learned is that people only wish to feel like they got a good deal (even if they got a lousy deal). This is why people make offers.

The way I handle random buyers when I am selling is I force them to qualify their offer. I simply start by asking specifically why they offered this amount. Most do not fully prepare for this. Both the buyer and the seller should fully prepare their case for the appropriate selling price. This involves studying fair market value plus options and equipment and minus damage or wear and tear.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 12:38   #14

The web has made most purchases of value level. It's very easy to find what something can be bought for by searching the web for a seller engaged in the race for volume selling at the expense of lower gross profit. That leaves availability and convenience at the biggest contributors to value.
A deal tomorrow on something you need today is not a deal...
riderjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 12:44   #15

I know a guy, we'll call him James, because ******* isn't normally used in polite company, and that's his real name.

He specializes in insultingly lowball offers, like 50-60% of the asking price. He'll make all kinds of wild claims, ask ridiculous questions and downright hound people to death trying to steal it from them, hoping they'll just cave in. I've seen him buy a used vehicle that was worth about $14K, steal it for $10K (the seller just got tired of the onslaught and let it go) then turn around and talk it up and try to flip it on the same site for $18K, claiming it's the best one on the market!

Because of this clown, they instituted a new rule in the for sale forum: no "trashing" a for sale thread. Make an offer, then take it to PMs. No discussing how you can buy it cheaper or heads up on sales or anything like that. The seller sets his price, and you can haggle privately, but no public devaluation of the item or discussion of cheaper items elsewhere allowed. It seems a bit Draconian, but that's what it took to shut that guy up.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote