Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2016, 13:07   #1

Smallest boat that can have a stand up shower?

I could live in a shoebox but only thing that would stop me is a standup shower? I've been looking around and seen plenty of boats that fit the bill but then don't have a shower. I've been looking at anything and everything with a small budget of under £10.000 and realise I may have a project but thats fine. I'm looking for something small to make self sufficient so will expect to be changing it around a lot to fit water makers, generators, solar panels etc.

I'f anyone has suggestions of which sailboats are best to look for that could fit a shower in I'd be most grateful!

Alastair
AliArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 13:21   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Smallest boat that can have a stand up shower?

Alastair, if you intend to fit a gen set and a watermaker in the boat, practicality says it will then be big enough to have a stand up shower.

There have been dozens (hundreds?) of threads here on CF addressing these questions about which boat to chose. Some searching will provide you with days worth of reading on this subject.

Jim
Old 13-11-2016, 14:15   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

The reality is if your cruising you will not have a stand up shower. We have but sit on the heads or squat to shower... And we have the headroom ! Great in marina's I suppose . Once had a Dehler 38 that you could just stand up in the heads.
Old 13-11-2016, 14:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Alastair, if you intend to fit a gen set and a watermaker in the boat, practicality says it will then be big enough to have a stand up shower.

There have been dozens (hundreds?) of threads here on CF addressing these questions about which boat to chose. Some searching will provide you with days worth of reading on this subject.

Jim
Hi I've had a search and couldn't find what I was looking for ...
Old 13-11-2016, 14:18   #5

Shower in the cockpit. Doesn't matter where the water splashes, and you have infinite headroom.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 14:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
The reality is if your cruising you will not have a stand up shower. We have but sit on the heads or squat to shower... And we have the headroom ! Great in marina's I suppose . Once had a Dehler 38 that you could just stand up in the heads.
True good point, thinking about that maybe even some kind of shower easy to use daily. You may of guessed that I shower daily in the morning so a good shower is important. I will be docked for quite a few years before I go exploring.
Old 13-11-2016, 15:46   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliArcher View Post
True good point, thinking about that maybe even some kind of shower easy to use daily. You may of guessed that I shower daily in the morning so a good shower is important. I will be docked for quite a few years before I go exploring.
If you're docked somewhere that has shower facilities, I'm going to bet that 99% of the time you end up using the shower on the hard.

I'm a live aboard and I've used the shower (full stand up, good amount of room) on my boat less than a dozen times. However, it makes a great storage/wet locker.

When you go exploring, chances are you'll use a shower in the cockpit 99% of the time.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 16:08   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You said small boat.
You did not mention where you are located.

So, I am addressing these remarks based on a typical 30-35 foot boat.

IF the boat is moving, like on a voyage, you won't want to stand up in the shower, or piss in the toilet standing up either. To do either, you will want to be sitting down in the head (on the toilet) or in the cockpit.

A "bucket" shower in the cockpit is fine in warm waters, and a sun shower "(black water bag) or a hand pump pressurized spray bottle (like used to spray flowers and bushes) can be also be used for a fresh water rinse off. I have taken many salt water bucket showers and enjoyed them in the cockpit.

A moving boat is different from a boat in a marina.

If you are in a marina and living aboard, you won't want to use your shower on a typical small boat, because it will cause your boat to be constantly wet in the head and add a lot of moisture to the atmosphere of your boat if living aboard (think mold/mildew/condensation).

So, if you are in that marina, it involves a walk to the marina shower, where there will hopefully be hot water and toilets that you do not need to pump (no need to fill up your holding tank).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 04:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
You said small boat.
You did not mention where you are located.

So, I am addressing these remarks based on a typical 30-35 foot boat.

IF the boat is moving, like on a voyage, you won't want to stand up in the shower, or piss in the toilet standing up either. To do either, you will want to be sitting down in the head (on the toilet) or in the cockpit.

A "bucket" shower in the cockpit is fine in warm waters, and a sun shower "(black water bag) or a hand pump pressurized spray bottle (like used to spray flowers and bushes) can be also be used for a fresh water rinse off. I have taken many salt water bucket showers and enjoyed them in the cockpit.

A moving boat is different from a boat in a marina.

If you are in a marina and living aboard, you won't want to use your shower on a typical small boat, because it will cause your boat to be constantly wet in the head and add a lot of moisture to the atmosphere of your boat if living aboard (think mold/mildew/condensation).

So, if you are in that marina, it involves a walk to the marina shower, where there will hopefully be hot water and toilets that you do not need to pump (no need to fill up your holding tank).
Thanks for everyone with the info so far. It looks as though when moored up for long times the general idea is to use the facilities the marina offer. Looking at other threads I suppose I should make sure the local ones are happy with liveaboards! I'm located on the River Medway in Kent UK. So most likely Gillingham or Chatham Marina.

Again thank you to all with the info.
Old 14-11-2016, 04:45   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Smallest boat that can have a stand up shower?

I'd start getting things rolling for Chatham Marina well in advance.. they do/did allow live aboard.. also the loo's/showers are on the pontoons so no hike ashore and keys etc.
Very pleasant for drizzly days..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 05:08   #11

Most boats where you can stand up in the head, have a shower there. Are you looking for a boat with a separate shower stall? That is much less common on boats under about 40 feet or so.

Here is a good example: ENDEAVOUR 32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Follow that link and it will show you the layout for an Endeavour 32. When you first look at it, you may think that it does not have a shower. In fact, there is a shower with a sump in the head. You can stand up to shower in this boat. You may have to drape a shower curtain around the other stuff in the head, to keep it dry, and it is not a separate shower stall, but it is a "stand-up shower."
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 06:09   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If there is a land shower available, you will use it almost always, nearly unlimited hot water and no mess in your boat. We always use the Marina shower, and when anchored out, always use the shower I installed in the cockpit, it has hot water.

But that's Florida where its not cold, I can't imagine a cockpit shower on a cold, drizzly morning. Then we reluctantly use the shower in the boat, only drawback I have seen to that is it has to not be good for all the teak we have in our head.

But you are in a whole different type of climate than most in this forum. You will bundle up and go for the Marina shower I'm sure.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 06:22   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my ericson 35 had sit down shower with standing head room of 6 ft...ye could actually stand up in the shower.
if shower is your priority in a sailboat, buy a power boat. there are stand up showers in those.
my formosa has a separate shower in the head--and i use that for storage, as i shower on back deck.
haha ha ha ha ha ha
but my boat actually sails when i am not repairing her.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 08:10   #14

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliArcher View Post
I could live in a shoebox but only thing that would stop me is a standup shower? I've been looking around and seen plenty of boats that fit the bill but then don't have a shower. I've been looking at anything and everything with a small budget of under £10.000 and realise I may have a project but thats fine. I'm looking for something small to make self sufficient so will expect to be changing it around a lot to fit water makers, generators, solar panels etc.

I'f anyone has suggestions of which sailboats are best to look for that could fit a shower in I'd be most grateful!

Alastair
thinkin' you're going about this bassakwards. more logical would be to find a shower that you can stand up in and rig sails.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 09:04   #15

Boat: Scout 30

Interesting premise. You can live on a really small boat as long as it has all the stuff a big boat has. Water maker, generator & shower? And you want it cheap. Time for a reality check me thinks.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower