Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2016, 02:35   #31

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Smallest boat that can have a stand up shower?

In order to have a "real shower" like you're thinking of, you'll want a boat which has a seperate shower from the head, as zeehag said. And in order to do that, as well as to fit all of the gear to the boat that you mentioned, you'll probably need a boat that's 35' or bigger. Meaning a modern boat of 35', not an Ericson 35' unless you were to totally gut her & fit a custom interior. Sorry zee. And like (Steady) stated, adding that much moisture to the interior of a small boat, especially regularly, is a tough sell. Particularly in a climate that's normally wet & chilly to start with, such as where you are.

Which, takes you to part II.
Some of where you shower off of the boat will be dictated by your dress code for work, & how well those clothes "travel". Whether they'll be traveling from the boat to the marina showers... on your body, or in a suit carrier. Or to say a gym/athletic club, where perhaps there's a bit more room, & amenities for you to get dressed in a civilized fashion. As at many marinas, the shower facilities aren't exactly laid out with a nod towards donning an $1,000 outfit each morning, after fastidiously grooming oneself, for a day in the office doing business.

So that if you work in a law firm, you'll want to think about where you plan to keep your wardrobe, along with how to get changes of clothes to & from where you dress/undress for work, before/after showering.
And the size of your work wardrobe also directly impinges upon your boat size, vis a vie your onboard closet. Unless/until you figure out the above.

Then you get to have the complications of whatever space your mate needs... for clothes, dresser space, room for grooming accessories, (err, um) necessities. And of course her demands when it comes to showering, plus the above clothes transportation arrangements, especially in inclement weather.

Also, BTW, if you'll be showering onboard much, belowdecks, you'll need to get a boat which can have a dedicated, built in shower sump. With dedicated macerator pump. So that you can pump out the water from showering directly, instead of having it drain to your bilges. And you may want (or need by law) to have a grey water stowage, & pump out system. As water from showering can make a mess of one's bilges, with or without statutes entering into the equation.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 03:00   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
In order to have a "real shower" like you're thinking of, you'll want a boat which has a seperate shower from the head, as zeehag said. And in order to do that, as well as to fit all of the gear to the boat that you mentioned, you'll probably need a boat that's 35' or bigger. Meaning a modern boat of 35', not an Ericson 35' unless you were to totally gut her & fit a custom interior. Sorry zee. And like (Steady) stated, adding that much moisture to the interior of a small boat, especially regularly, is a tough sell. Particularly in a climate that's normally wet & chilly to start with, such as where you are.

Which, takes you to part II.
Some of where you shower off of the boat will be dictated by your dress code for work, & how well those clothes "travel". Whether they'll be traveling from the boat to the marina showers... on your body, or in a suit carrier. Or to say a gym/athletic club, where perhaps there's a bit more room, & amenities for you to get dressed in a civilized fashion. As at many marinas, the shower facilities aren't exactly laid out with a nod towards donning an $1,000 outfit each morning, after fastidiously grooming oneself, for a day in the office doing business.

So that if you work in a law firm, you'll want to think about where you plan to keep your wardrobe, along with how to get changes of clothes to & from where you dress/undress for work, before/after showering.
And the size of your work wardrobe also directly impinges upon your boat size, vis a vie your onboard closet. Unless/until you figure out the above.

Then you get to have the complications of whatever space your mate needs... for clothes, dresser space, room for grooming accessories, (err, um) necessities. And of course her demands when it comes to showering, plus the above clothes transportation arrangements, especially in inclement weather.

Also, BTW, if you'll be showering onboard much, belowdecks, you'll need to get a boat which can have a dedicated, built in shower sump. With dedicated macerator pump. So that you can pump out the water from showering directly, instead of having it drain to your bilges. And you may want (or need by law) to have a grey water stowage, & pump out system. As water from showering can make a mess of one's bilges, with or without statutes entering into the equation.

I am lucky enough to work in a gym as maintenance so can turn up for work shower and get ready, most days. I think reading through all the replies on here I've noticed two things. One, there is a huge amount of knowledge on here I shall be abusing! Two, for my budget restraints I think a stand up shower maybe stretching it and be problematic with moisture! Thanks to everyone that's replied!

I shall be booking to see Gillingham marina at some point as that's closest to where I work (I jog in) and has best value on prices so far!

AliArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 06:21   #33

Hula hoop hung horizontally on three lines, with a cheapo shower curtain clipped around the hoop in the cockpit is about the minimum I can think of. Small tankless propane water heater for $150 and some way to provide about 1.5 GPM waterflow and you can have your hot shower.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 06:40   #34
Ita

Boat: CAL 29

I have rigged a stand up shower on my 29. Living aboard for 7 years, I might have used it less than 10 times. Even the wet curtains are a mess to dry
Ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 14:45   #35

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

be easier to find a sponge bath twice a day from mermaids / personal hygiene is important / a solid cubicle set aside for this purpose isn't a necessity
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 15:12   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There must be a lot of people who are really dirty when they shower. I shower daily but frankly just because the warm water feels good. I mean how dirty are you really when you shower? (Boat yard workers excepted!)
So..... as long as you trap the hair, even if your shower water goes to the bilge, how that so different than putting some detergent in the bilge to let it slosh around and keep things clean?
I say this because on our first distance cruiser, our shower went to the bilge. Nobody seemed to think much about it back then. And it never crossed our minds. The condensation and moisture is not so good if the boat is closed up, But it didn't seem to be the end of the world.
Of course, showering daily and going to work while living at the dock may be something different.
Never had a macerator on the shower drain on any boat and never needed it. What kind of chunks are people getting off their bodies when they shower???? All my boats but one had the shower in the head with a circular pull around curtain, while a separate stall is nice, it's certainly not a necessity.
In the tropics my stern shower was preferred by far, quick and easy.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 15:48   #37

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

As far as the original question, I believe the later models of the 20' Flicka had a shower and enclosed head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flicka Layout.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	136325  
Old 17-11-2016, 07:50   #38

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Benford was very honest about this design (the 24-footer) not sailing worth a tinker's cuss. It was, in effect, a floating camping trailer. Designed as a "LaFarge Barge". Nothing wrong with that - as long as that's what you are wanting :-)

The design hails from a time when every lubberly Tom, Dick and Harry wanted a boat, and all yacht designers, but perhaps particularly Benford, was trying to design for every market niche.

TrentePieds
Oh I agree, my idea use for it would be cruising the great loop and planning to motor most of the time. For that it seems a very seaworthy little boat.
Old 17-11-2016, 07:56   #39

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
HA! Benford, I remember that name. I had a hankering to build a dory of that name one time, much like that 23' sourdough. The St Pierre dory had some good reviews though...
27' St. Pierre Dory, one of the most seaworthy wood boats ever designed.
Benford is a cool guy met him a number of times back in the 90's. I helped a friend of his with the wooden boat show and he introduced me. Some of his designs are great world cruisers but he is well know for his powerboats with huge interiors (coasters). There is a very salty look to all his boats and he does run all the stability calculations so most are very seaworthy but I wouldn't call many of his designs fast.
Old 17-11-2016, 08:03   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
I knew a couple that lived aboard a Catalina 34 for a while that used the shower all the time. ..............
I do, too, and much prefer our shower than hoofing it to a marina. But I don't get the "stand up" part/requirement. Why not just sit down? The way the head compartment is designed, there's a nice teak seat, even though there is standing headroom in the head. Been working for me for 18 years, and our six week trip up the coast, daily use, before that on local cruises.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:11   #41

Boat: Nonsuch U30

Nonsuch 30 has a stand-up shower, if you are not over six feet tall.
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 23:07   #42

Thanks for all the replies. Looking at the information you have all given I think a shower is enough, sit down or stand up! Thanks !
AliArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 02:12   #43

Boat: Valiant 32

I have a Valiant 32. Redid all the head woodwork with 2 pack paint and varnish so it's now a wet room.. Fitted a Bilge pump in a plastic box which sumps the shower drain to the sink drain. Fitted a water saving Anion shower head (Ebay) ran hot water from my calorifia 240v or engine. It has a Dorado vent so no issues with mold. Fitted a thermostat to the hot cold (ebay) So there is only 1 on off tap for the shower, so as the hot tank empties the temp stays constant.
I shower in it every day and anyone that uses it just goes wow. It's a great shower. Did it on the last boat as well. I hate using marina showers and the above just works great, on the hook or Ocean crossings.Why would anyone want to sponge bath, get your private parts soaped up in the cockpit etc I just don't understand, it's not rocket science to create a decent workable shower on your boat. Seven years of daily showers....kind of proves it works and no water or mold damage to the boat.

Qayaq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower