Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2016, 09:35   #16

Re: Smallest boat that can have a stand up shower?

If you are thinking of staying in Chatham Marina be prepared to pay highly for the privilege. Gillingham Marina mud berths are good value as are the mud berths at Cuxton.
You don't want to spend your monthly income on anything other than refurbishing your yacht!
mikecambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:22   #17

Boat: Vancouver 27

We have a good sized watermaker on my 27' (cape horn extreme), and, alongside a 420A house bank, in the tropics 250W of solar has been enough to keep up with demands of that and a little engel fridge. If you're occasionally using the engine anyway, you can make a point to fill the tanks when the engine is being used. If we really need to, we could stretch our 50 gallons of water over a couple weeks, and it only takes about 3-4 hours to fill them from empty with the cape horn.

We could probably fit a little honda generator onboard, but if we were going to add more power, personally I'd opt for a wind gen to balance out the solar.

We also do the cockpit shower thing. Heat a little water up on the stove and funnel it into the water basin. Hot showers under the stars.

Anyway, that's the setup here. Hope it helps!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:33   #18

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Simple, fit a hatch with a high combing above the shower!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:36   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

The Cherubini Hunter 37 has a separate shower.

I'm jealous of it - it would save me showering at work
Old 14-11-2016, 10:47   #20

Boat: Tartan 37

Wife and I just use a solar shower bag either in the cockpit or on deck. We're not proud but we are clean 😀
Steve O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:52   #21

Ali: Applying little common sense will give you an answer far better than we on this forum can:

1) Go measure the height of you on-shore shower "stub-out" (where the pipe comes out of the wall to your shower head. You'll find that that is 6'6" (= 2 m.) above the "decksole" (floor) That inplies a height under deck of 7 Ft. (= 2.10 m. [min]) So right there is one of your search parameters when you look for a boat that will satisfy you. For the 10K quid you state as you budget, that can't be done!

2) For your budget you aren't gonna get anything worthwhile that's more than 30 ft. on deck, say, 9.50 m. Your total flat "floor area" will be less that 20 SqFt (2 m^2) and that will typically be disposed as 10ft. x 2 ft. ( 300cm x 60 cm). You don't want to destroy any of that for something so trivial as a stand-up shower.

3) Your heads (W.C) will typically have a floor area of 75 cm x 75 cm, and not all of it flat, but all of it outboard of the the fore-n'-aft passage twixt cabins, and none of it at the same level as your cabin decksole. Thus, to install a stand-up shower in the most efficacious place is an impossibility

4) Judging by your stating your budget in quid, you're in the UK. Thus, showering on deck, which is what most of us do, is no fun in the winter. The solution is to accept that one of the prices you have to pay for living aboard a small boat is that for much of the year you are restricted to having a "Liverpool wash" aboard, and showering only in marina facilities or when visiting shore-side friends. In the UK, for much of the year, I'd be rather reluctant to have an "over-the-side-dunk", tho admittedly the Gulf Stream tends to ameliorate the water temperatures. Here in the Salish Sea, despite our having a more benign climate overall, the water temperature thanx to the Japanese Current is low enuff year round to make over-the-side-dunking unpalatable. In any event, if do have your ablutions over the side, you'll need to rinse with fresh water. Which you won't have enuff of.

"If you expect the impossible you WILL be disappointed. If you attempt the impossible you WILL fail!"

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 11:16   #22

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Well for me I like this design.
http://www.benford.us/mint/pepper/or...loidYachts.pdf
Benford 24' motor sailer would be about as small as I would want to go with just be living aboard. Not sure any have ever been built thou. I like a real shower myself but never had a boat that has had one yet. Just use the Marina one.
Old 14-11-2016, 11:29   #23

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

I knew a couple that lived aboard a Catalina 34 for a while that used the shower all the time. But they were tied into the marina (water fitting not just filling the tank) and they liked it but yeah most people use the shore side facility unless out cruising. Also it can be amazing how much water a shower uses. I was on a Cat for a week (lagoon) with a 79 gallon tank and 2 showers. with 3 people using it we had to fill the tank quite often.
Old 14-11-2016, 11:36   #24

Anytime you have a stand up enclosed head you can have a stand up shower.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 12:04   #25

Boat: Westsail 28

Our Westsail 28 has a stand up shower in the head . We have never used it . But yes we do take showers , well not every day when were on the boat . We don't smell that bad either . On our boat the shower sump drains into the bilge . And that will smell bad .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 14:23   #26

Try a dinghy and a bucket
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 15:26   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My buddy with a 30' and me with my 29' both have stand up showers... in the cockpit. A screen curtain or a pop-up toilet tent (that fits his cockpit, not mine) that blocks the view and the breeze and a battery powered camp shower with hot water from the stove or a pressure sprayer left out in the sun. I have a dry bilge (hope to keep it that way) and he just doesn't have quite enough room in the head for moving around to shower inside.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 16:48   #28

Benford was very honest about this design (the 24-footer) not sailing worth a tinker's cuss. It was, in effect, a floating camping trailer. Designed as a "LaFarge Barge". Nothing wrong with that - as long as that's what you are wanting :-)

The design hails from a time when every lubberly Tom, Dick and Harry wanted a boat, and all yacht designers, but perhaps particularly Benford, was trying to design for every market niche.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 19:11   #29

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Benford was very honest about this design (the 24-footer) not sailing worth a tinker's cuss. It was, in effect, a floating camping trailer. Designed as a "LaFarge Barge". Nothing wrong with that - as long as that's what you are wanting :-)

The design hails from a time when every lubberly Tom, Dick and Harry wanted a boat, and all yacht designers, but perhaps particularly Benford, was trying to design for every market niche.

TrentePieds
HA! Benford, I remember that name. I had a hankering to build a dory of that name one time, much like that 23' sourdough. The St Pierre dory had some good reviews though...
27' St. Pierre Dory, one of the most seaworthy wood boats ever designed.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 23:39   #30

Boat: Tayana 37

I am six foot five and bought a Tayana 37 due to the excellent headroom, it has a shower compartment which is separate from the head and gives me standing headroom. There are a few on the market in various states of repair and they have a good reputation.
Chebacco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower