Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-04-2014, 16:03   #1

Boat: Swan 432
Shipping a 44' sailboat NY to San Francisco

What would it cost (approximately) to ship a 44 foot Alden monohull from New York to San Francisco? Looking for a general idea from someone who has shipped a 40 footer from coast to coast. We are shopping for a 40-45 footer and there are plenty of great blue water boats on the east coast. The Alden is only $115K and looks to be in great shape.

Old 05-04-2014, 16:07   #2

Boat: Mariner 36
Re: Shipping a 44' sailboat NY to San Francisco

Have you seen this Alden 43?

http://www.alden43dressblue.com/

Immaculate.

Old 05-04-2014, 16:46   #3

I just found this site surfing. Not sure if this will help, but it shows a lot of costs for shipping boats all over the place. I think you could find a boat your size and what someone is willing to pay for it to be shipped.

Auto transport quotes car shipping movers auto transporters carriers.
Old 05-04-2014, 18:30   #4
Guy
cruiser

Boat: Seafarer36c

The width is a big deal. Your width and length will probably require a pilot car (s.) So a narrow 40' boat might cost only $7k but did not need pilot cars. Your boat might cost well over $12k
The price can vary a lot and be sure to include the fuel surcharge
Old 05-04-2014, 19:29   #5

14k might be a good deal....I've been getting quotes to ship my IP460 from Victoria BC to Palm Beach Florida by ship and have been getting 40-44k....ouch!
Guess I better work on my sailing skills harder!
Old 05-04-2014, 23:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
14k might be a good deal....I've been getting quotes to ship my IP460 from Victoria BC to Palm Beach Florida by ship and have been getting 40-44k....ouch!
Guess I better work on my sailing skills harder!
Back east there are quite a few low bridges to worry about. You should not have that problem going from Fla. to B.C.
Old 06-04-2014, 00:30   #7

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
What would it cost (approximately) to ship a 44 foot Alden monohull from New York to San Francisco? Looking for a general idea from someone who has shipped a 40 footer from coast to coast. We are shopping for a 40-45 footer and there are plenty of great blue water boats on the east coast. The Alden is only $115K and looks to be in great shape.

You may want to check out boats on the west coast, it may be cheaper to spend more than ship it. Also, make sure you do not wind up paying sales tax in the state you purchase it and again in California. There are a lot of hidden costs in shipping a boat other than the shipping costs. You will have to pay a yard to prep the boat to ship it, then pay the yard in California to prepare the boat for launching plus fixing any damage that occurred while shipping.

I had a friend ship their 45 from San Diego to DC and their cost over run was enormous. So do all your homework other than just the cost of shipping.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating2go View Post
You may want to check out boats on the west coast, it may be cheaper to spend more than ship it. Also, make sure you do not wind up paying sales tax in the state you purchase it and again in California. There are a lot of hidden costs in shipping a boat other than the shipping costs. You will have to pay a yard to prep the boat to ship it, then pay the yard in California to prepare the boat for launching plus fixing any damage that occurred while shipping.

I had a friend ship their 45 from San Diego to DC and their cost over run was enormous. So do all your homework other than just the cost of shipping.
I think there is a use tax the first year (if sales tax is paid somewhere else) and property tax every year after that. Definitely something to check out. Part of the plan would be to buy a boat that is in need of new rigging (and discounted appropriately) and have it redone during the re-launch.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:05   #9

Is it cheaper to have it captained than shipped?
Old 07-04-2014, 17:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
Is it cheaper to have it captained than shipped?
Five years ago I was thinking of buying a boat in San Diego and shipping it to Alameda. It was about half the price to sail but that was a relatively short distance. N.Y. to San Fran would be around 10,000 sailing miles, probably take a few months.
Old 07-04-2014, 17:54   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I got quoted 14k in '98 for a 47 footer (low profile). I would guess double that now. Beam is an issue, and if 6 ft draft or higher height may be an issue (wont fit under overpasses) so they charge more for that too. Boat that big may require 2 chase cars?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 14:22   #12

The size of it will probably eliminate a lot of shippers from being able to handle it ... that's pretty big. I have a buddy that shipped one around that size with this company https://www.a1autotransport.com/serv...-transport.php but I don't know if there were any issues or anything. Might be worth a call just to see what kind of price they offer. I believe they tell you for free.
Old 20-07-2016, 13:09   #13

Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41

Check out https://www.uship.com/ .

Not a recommendation since I haven't personally used this service but you might try it.

You can get quotes from various carriers.

Just a note, when I was checking them out I noticed the complaint area, I read some of them and basically it varied between actual carriers as to satisfaction.

Be sure and read the insurance rules and when shipping make sure they will handle your mast for you and that it is included in the insurance.
Old 25-07-2016, 22:06   #14

Boat: Albin Vega 27

I have used UShip a number of times with good experiences. Never for boats, but for engines/motors/cars. Your experience will be dependent on the company you inevitably ship with.

It's very easy to setup a listing to begin receiving bids, and once you do you'll be able to look into the reviews of the companies submitting them. No obligation, so you'd be remiss not to at least give it a shot and see what comes in. There have been a few times that I've made a listing and inevitably decided not to use any of the companies that submitted bids, no repercussions for such a scenario.
Old 25-07-2016, 22:31   #15

Boat: Caliber 40

Recent quotes from San Diego:

Caliber 40 42' LOA 12'10" beam 5' 6" draft

Shelter Island boatyard $1,000 hoist boat, drop and package mast, put it on a truck

Same price on other end to put it back into water

Shelter Island, San Diego to Seattle $8,000 1,250 miles
Dudley trucking out of Tacoma, WA - on a backhaul at their leisure. Dudley is a very high quality trucker with a long history of great service for NW boats.

Shelter Island to Cape Coral, Florida 2,600 miles
$11,000 on a backhaul by a Florida shipper done on their schedule - I got this bid from uship.com as mentioned above. I could find no history or records for the firm that bid the $11,000. Seemed a big risk

Both bids were based on "sometime between September 1 and November 1 with two weeks notice."

IF you want to schedule an exact time months in advance - add at least 20% to cost

The beam and requirement for a pilot car is the determining factor in cost.

The height of the boat on the truck is also important - more than 12' 6" (or so) requires many deviations off the interstates and adds a lot of cost and time. My boat fit under all but two bridges when shipped from Tucson to Seattle (1,600 miles $8,000 in 2004)

We are actively considering how to get our Caliber 40 from San Diego to SW Florida. Sailing/Motoring on her own bottom would be about $5,500 and take November to June if we hustle. Shipping would be about $13,000 and take two weeks at most.

Tags
sail, sailboat, san francisco, shipping

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: