Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2015, 08:31   #1

Share a boat, share the expenses

Hi everybody,

it's a long time that i'm readning this forum and that's my first post, i'm Stefano from Italy, Trieste to be more precise.

It's year that i'm thinking about moving to live on a boat in a cheap country of south east asia like Thailand (been there 4 week and coming back again in 2 weeks...1.70 € rice+ seafood..4€ big shirmp grilled)

Some days ago there was " The World" moored in Trieste's port...you know, the boat with just luxurious apartament an 300.000€ of common expense every year for each apartament and so on...

I was thinking, what about find 20-30 person, put all together an make another World, lot less expensive, with the same rules...ranging from 10.000 euro to buy a single room to maybe maximum 100.000 for a big apartament....and paying maybe from 50 euro at month for the small up to 500 euro at month for the big apt as mainteniance fee?

if you want to sail around the world, without being rich, that could be a solution.

and also self managment and self employment...like as, rotating duty hours for all the citizen, like washing the bridge to cleaning the interior to coocking for everybody...and that's should be your job.

How many hours do you have to work to afford to live on the sea on a complete full furnished home?having all clean and coocked for you, like going to a restaurant everyday?

wouldn't you work like 4-5 hours a day to have it all pratically for free? i would do it for sure!

Just a little monthly fee to cover expense and future breakdown and things like that

i also thought a lot about all this, all electric/ solar powered, and so on...lot of ideas and thinking about make it real

What do you think about?
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 08:34   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Share a boat, share the expenses

Welcome to the forum stefano_ita. It is a lovely idea, hard to make work in real practice, I wish you the best of luck.
Old 25-06-2015, 08:38   #3

lol

this is a stupid question: why hard to make it real? why if very rich people find exclusive to live and spend 2-3.000.000 euro for a small flat aboard of a cruise ship, why should not be for a human like..in stead of spent maybe 50.000 for a small 30 ft sail boat....you can get a confortable smal apartament with A/c and internet (ok 2 gb each month, no more ) seen 20 gb download satellite internet for 170 dollars month share it

why pay more to have less? wouldn't you personally do it?
Old 25-06-2015, 08:48   #4

Managing the different personalities and different agendas of the different people involved is always problematic. Who decides when it is time for a haul out, or engine rebuild? And who will manage the money that everyone puts in to keep the maintenance up? Who decides when and where to take the boat? I wish you all the best. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are proposing. I believe you are talking about multiple owners sharing the expenses of a shared boat?
Old 25-06-2015, 08:59   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I would suggest you price out the cost of having the ship bought or built, outfitted properly, crewed, operated managed and kept to commercial regulations, including time out for drydock layups and overhauls.

Then divide that out by the occupancy rate you expect (it won't be 100%, certainly not at first). Add in the marketing and publicity expenses.

Then see if the folks who can "just" afford a small boat, are the kind of folks who can afford that kind of expense, and that amount of vacation time, at all.

I think you will find a very different market and very different economics make it unfeasible. But perhaps you can get some university finance students to do it as a course project exercise.

Perhaps, instead of SELLING each cabin, you would need to time-share them in order to make the finances work. That would be a different business model, which would have considerations of its own.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 09:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Managing the different personalities and different agendas of the different people involved is always problematic. Who decides when it is time for a haul out, or engine rebuild? And who will manage the money that everyone puts in to keep the maintenance up? Who decides when and where to take the boat? I wish you all the best. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are proposing. I believe you are talking about multiple owners sharing the expenses of a shared boat?
I know it's not very easy sometimes..but in THEORY if the can do it, we can do it too..the answer is ME would be like a ltd where get invoice payed every month and a managment that decide everythings, except the voyage that is discussed and voted by the citizen (like on the world, the capitain suggest a voyage and the citizen approved it)...i know it's not easy but never try never know...

i was looking for boat and cat and from 42 feet (in italy there is a tax that above 14 and max 17 meters LOA 860 euro every years..17-20 1400euro years..20-24mtrs 4.400 euro years and so on..even you buy a rusted barge aged 80 years for 1 dollar you have to pay it)

so to have everybody more space and don't pay the tax (by establishin a ltd in belgium) and live better sharing could have been a nice idea
Old 25-06-2015, 09:11   #7

I wish you the best of luck.
Old 25-06-2015, 09:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I would suggest you price out the cost of having the ship bought or built, outfitted properly, crewed, operated managed and kept to commercial regulations, including time out for drydock layups and overhauls.

Then divide that out by the occupancy rate you expect (it won't be 100%, certainly not at first). Add in the marketing and publicity expenses.

Then see if the folks who can "just" afford a small boat, are the kind of folks who can afford that kind of expense, and that amount of vacation time, at all.

I think you will find a very different market and very different economics make it unfeasible. But perhaps you can get some university finance students to do it as a course project exercise.

Perhaps, instead of SELLING each cabin, you would need to time-share them in order to make the finances work. That would be a different business model, which would have considerations of its own.

thanks for the answer

that's a good idea...time share like rent a cabin for a month to whose want to stay? like a open-time cruise..you get aboard when you want and you stay on how long you want

i thought about have permanent residen to have them registered as crew, and always have less than 12 guest...like a friends

i know commercial boat regulamentation are very difficult to mantain for a group of folk..marpol, solas and so on...

if i bought the boat by myself, as private person, can i rent room alright? well..find some free place on a 14mtrs 42ft boat, where we (girlfriend and i) live abord full timers...isn't easy..it mean sacrifice half boat...
Old 25-06-2015, 09:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I wish you the best of luck.
lol thanks i'll go by myself

OT

is there a taxes where you live based on the leinght of the hull? i guess italy is the only state in the world who has it...houseboat against the law, and so on...italy: tha land of " you can't do it/ there is no law yet about it so you can't "

close ot
Old 26-06-2015, 08:47   #10

Good ideas, I think it is the way of the future...share what you need and live a much bigger life for a fraction of the cost.

I would like to share a cruising catamaran ($200K) in the Med and the Carribbean with one or possibly two "salts".

We also are working in Costa Rica and building a retirement "village" in an area which is known for its perfect climate (low humidity, 27C and sun every day). Growing food and running a school for creative leaders is a part of the community. The Village focuses on living with purpose, and being inspired by innovative ideas and solutions.

PM me if that sounds amazing.
Mediaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 16:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediaguy View Post
Good ideas, I think it is the way of the future...share what you need and live a much bigger life for a fraction of the cost.

I would like to share a cruising catamaran ($200K) in the Med and the Carribbean with one or possibly two "salts".

We also are working in Costa Rica and building a retirement "village" in an area which is known for its perfect climate (low humidity, 27C and sun every day). Growing food and running a school for creative leaders is a part of the community. The Village focuses on living with purpose, and being inspired by innovative ideas and solutions.

PM me if that sounds amazing.

pmed you..sounds very interesting
Old 28-06-2015, 00:20   #12

Boat: Nauticat 32

I guess majority of sailors want to do something like
- spend some time alone in a small bathtub in the middle of the ocean
- be the captains of their own life for a while
- prove to themselves that they can handle a great adventure single-handed

They will probably all buy their own boat. But there should be also many more boats with plans like yours, enjoying social life and seeing places, together with a bunch of interesting people.

It's true that things may get complex in a group like that. But clear rules could help. Maybe one person should own the boat and be the captain. Or maybe it would be enough to elect one person (at a time) as the captain of the boat, with responsibility and right to make the necessary practical decisions the way he considers best.

If you live on dry land you can invite guests to your house as you wish. And I guess there is noting wrong if those guest contribute to the living costs of their stay. I mean that also at sea I don't see anything wrong with having friends around, and sharing the costs. If you don't want to become a commercial enterprise, maybe it is enough to keep the arrangements among friends, not to advertise the services publicly, and not to do it for profit. A bunch of friends can surely share a vehicle (car or boat).

Good luck, and just go for it if you feel you can handle it. Maybe it's now a new time of social cruising.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 03:30   #13

Thanks for your words
Yep sure rules are a must...

The facts are: or buy a boat max 14mtr just for gf and i, and do not share anything, smaller boat less price, everything easier to mantain,eccc

Or bigger boat, lot more space, possibility to share and so on, more rules among the other people, and i can't afford to buy it by my own��

I 'm sure share, meet new people from around the world is great but also reading about the worst experience on boat thread...�� it's different i know...
Old 28-06-2015, 04:47   #14

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
The facts are: or buy a boat max 14mtr just for gf and i, and do not share anything, smaller boat less price, everything easier to mantain,eccc

Or bigger boat, lot more space, possibility to share and so on, more rules among the other people, and i can't afford to buy it by my own��
Maybe a compromise, a boat twice as expensive as the small boat, together with some other couple you know, with simple rules like timeshare, and option to sail together when you feel like that.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 12:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Maybe a compromise, a boat twice as expensive as the small boat, together with some other couple you know, with simple rules like timeshare, and option to sail together when you feel like that.

well i though even about that like 14 mtrs boat, just with a guest room with private bathroom...but if the couple are friend i'm not gonna ask for money...and about chartering...well..i saw thousand of site but, according to me isn't it such a big business.

.i prefere keep some precious square meters to live better on our own... thinking 90% about a mono hull (not much space)...even a catamaran idea is still alive but i won't feel safe in rough seas...last but not the least the ramform hull design but no good if less wider than 40mtrs...swath too much draft...x bow design...maybe...

no need of speed, just 6-7 kts as cruise speed..slow, stable, and with lot of space