Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2014, 18:23   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Seriously….?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Uh... No. "Y'all" is singluar. Used to refer to one person. If you're talking to more than one person it's "all y'all."
According to the official source, Bubba Webster's Southern Dictionary, you is singular, yall is plural, all yall is for a really big bunch of folks.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 06:13   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Sweet tea is what they serve at my family reunions. Has enough sugar to put the average Yankee into a diabetic coma. In extreme cases there is enough sugar that the tea has the viscosity of molasses in December.

Sweetened tea has a bit of sugar added.
Hmm. Starting to doubt your "Southern" qualifications. The key difference is not how much sugar, but when it is added. Sweet tea has the sugar added before the tea is brewed, while sweetened tea has the sugar added after the brewing is finished. There is a substantial difference in the flavor effect.

Northerners think you can dump a bunch of sugar into a glass of tea, and all is well. Southerners know that you need to mix the sugar into the water at the very beginning of the brewing process. The North Carolina legislature was, at one time, actually considering a law that would prohibit restaurants from calling their tea "sweet tea" if the sugar was added after the brewing was complete. I don't know if that ever got passed or not.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 06:17   #18

Quote:
Uh... No. "Y'all" is singluar. Used to refer to one person. If you're talking to more than one person it's "all y'all."

Now, I might--just MIGHT--believe that you know something about the South if you can tell me the difference between sweet tea and sweetened tea.
Depend on where you are. You can move to different ends of my southern state, and get almost a whole different vernacular! My wife and I are from different ends of the state and she is constantly using slang that always makes me go, "What did you just say?"
Old 28-10-2014, 06:20   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Depend on where you are. You can move to different ends of my southern state, and get almost a whole different vernacular!
And that's a fact. I can usually tell you which southern state you're from by your accent. I many cases I can tell you what part of the state. I once pegged a cab driver in Atlanta within 20 miles of where he was born in south GA.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:23   #20

I think some people access cheap seller publications,
then apply ridiculous pricing just to see if they can get a bite

surely theyre 'not so serious'
ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 17:56   #21

Its funny how some people read this as the seller is serious...

whilst others read this as the buyer should be serious...
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 23:42   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

Amen. Nothing drives me more crazy than to hear "to perfectly honest" . Where did these kids learn to talk.

I stop them and ask 'ok what lies have you been telling me up to this point'.

Sometimes they recognize what they said and we have a thoughtful moment. Sometimes it goes right over their head. I get a smile either way.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 04:49   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... The North Carolina legislature was, at one time, actually considering a law that would prohibit restaurants from calling their tea "sweet tea" if the sugar was added after the brewing was complete. I don't know if that ever got passed or not.
In 2003, Georgia State Representative, John Noel, and four co-sponsors, apparently as an April Fools' Day joke, introduced House Bill 819, proposing to require all Georgia restaurants that serve tea to serve sweet tea. Representative John Noel, one of the sponsors, is said to have acknowledged that the bill was an attempt to bring humor to the Legislature, but wouldn't mind if it became law. The text of the bill proposes:

(a) As used in this Code section, the term 'sweet tea' means iced tea which is sweetened with sugar at the time that it is brewed.

(b) Any food service establishment which served iced tea must serve sweet tea. Such an establishment may serve unsweetened tea but in such case must also serve sweet tea.

(c) Any person who violates this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature.

The Bill never went to a vote.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20032004/26301.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote