Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2019, 16:38   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Seeking warm water and Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
If there is a will there is a way. If everybody followed the rules to the letter most would never leave. If you want to be perfectly safe then stay at home. Lots of Canadians staying in Mexico as well as many other places. They manage to make it happen.

Lots of people live in Mexico. I was referring to living AND working as the OP specified. And that's a bit complicated! How do I know? Because I lived there and worked there (legally) for quite a few years. I am NOT one who didn't leave.....lived abroad for most of my life. Some rules are honored in the breach, others are not.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 18:23   #17

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

lets, see.

What would work : ( around the boating community )

A real sailor, who knows seamanship and has had true sailing experience, and who
can handle all aspects of boat maintenance. Who is not an alky or a , doper,
and who actually shows up and does a super job.

Those a darned near impossible to find.

You can write your own ticket where ever you chose.

Add in being respectful to everyone, friendly and honest.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where to be warm.

Can only suggest where we have been that would be some of our choices.

* Hawaiian Islands.
* Bahamas on down thru the Caribbean to Grenada. BVI might be perfect
* Southern California
* Australia, Queensland

I like the idea of working for a charter outfit, both skippered and bare boat. Lots of
boats, lots of use, and they could use you. Built in business, and no outlay of cash.
Get known and start up your own company.

Others have great ideas, Also, life is a compromise. King Neptune and gods of hurricanes and cyclones may mud it up a bit, but many people head off to different climes when the monster storms rage thru. Swap out hemispheres.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 08:05   #18

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

If you're more comfortable with basing mainly in North America, go for Florida. I don't know what I'm talking about, but I bet you can find a marina willing to get you a green card based on your skills. Maybe difficult in the era of Trump. Perhaps others can follow up on this.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 10:00   #19

Boat: Freedom 32

Careful working for others. Even for cash. There are sailors in Mexican jails that did odd jobs in a Mexican marina for cash without a work visa
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 13:30   #20

There in is the problem I see again. Most places I look at allow anywhere from 30 to 90 days of travel then visa and immigration issues arise. I would be all over going to Australia as it is my ultimate dream to live and die there simply sailing, scuba, snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef. If I knew I had even a good chance of finding any crappy job or some way that could stay there I'd buy a ticket tomorrow. I get there are no guarantees in life but I like to have at least some sort of plan in place.
Somebody asked about my family life and obligations. Parents are long gone and my son is now grown up with a life of his own. Hence... I am a free agent. I can literally go anywhere in the world and do anything (within my budget). I think therein lies the problem. Too many options muddy the waters of decision. As usual... I really appreciate any and all thoughts and ideas from those who generously provide them
Thanks to all
Seahorse66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 13:46   #21

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse66 View Post
There in is the problem I see again. Most places I look at allow anywhere from 30 to 90 days of travel then visa and immigration issues arise. I would be all over going to Australia as it is my ultimate dream to live and die there simply sailing, scuba, snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef. If I knew I had even a good chance of finding any crappy job or some way that could stay there I'd buy a ticket tomorrow. I get there are no guarantees in life but I like to have at least some sort of plan in place.
You need some focus, and there it is. You want to live, work, and sail in Australia. Fine. Get to work on a plan. Find out what it takes to get extended visitor visas, work visas, etc. Start looking at job opportunities. Immigration requirements. Ask others for their experiences. Begin making contacts.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 14:11   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

There are lots of Canadian boats in the Bahamas through the Lesser Antillies. Many are Québécois, I think they tend to hang around the French Islands.

From the little I have observed or heard you have your best possibilities possibilities in:

BVIs - English speaking, not sure how lax in work rules. Still struggling after hurricanes, need skilled workers.

ST Martin - English widely spoken, Dailey well developed, as with BVI still rebuilding from hurricane.

Antigua - English speaking but I got the sense they were more rule bound.

Dominica - English speaking, sort of. Lots of work from hurricanes but very poor country. Building some hotels around Portsmouth, might be an opportunity. Accepting aid from China.

St. Vincent - Rodney Bay has Marine services based around the IGY yard. Might be hard to crack into. Lots of expats, May be able to tie into villa maintenance. Accepting aid from Tiawian.

Grenada - English speaking, several boatyards. But INC you can’t find a supervisor slot you are competing with locals for poor wages. Some villas, might find a slot as a handyman. Accepting aid from China.

Dominican Republic - Sousa area seems to have a bunch of small gated communities. Might be a place to set up shop as a property manager/handyman/trusted soul.

It might pay to look at real estate ads for each of these countries and to also look at Wiki country descriptions. Some countries are quite small, Dominica population is under 70,000. But the DR has several million.

You might also try to search Facebook for expat communities on each island. There you can get to ask more pro king questions to people who already live there.

Best of luck.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 17:30   #23

Sea Horse...good on ya. Stay positive and kiss off the negative.

Agree. it is up to you as to how you live your life or dreams, or your adventures,

Just flat do it.

As to Australia, contact the powers that be, and let them know what you can
offer to help out and meld into their country. Might not be as difficult as you
think.

We saw OZ from a little different aspect, since we were on two different 30 day Aussie vacations that included, sailing the Whitsunday Islands, White Water rafting the Tully River, SCUBA diving the amazing great barrier reef and coral sea. Plus a whole lot more.

After first arriving, Enjoying land based in Sydney for three days at the Rocks and using the ferry boats to explore the Sydney zoo, the amazing aquariam, the maritime museum, and other points of interest. Zero driving cars.

And then to Queensland, which is like Hawaii, And then up to cape tribulation, off the grid, no electrical power, hiking deep into the rain forests and snorkeling McKay reef and seeing giant irridescent clams, and most of all the fantastic Ausies themselves.

Actually, I am a stauch American, including serving in a foreign war, but, if I
had to give up my U.S citizenship, ( which I will not) my first choice would be Australia. The second would be Ireland. But, fact is I love the good ol USA.

My point is , if you want to sail or visit Australia , GO FOR IT. Amazing land, and Amazing people.

If you want to sail the Caribbean, or the world, do your due diligence and
go for it.

Or, sit hunched over a smart phone in the local pub, all alone , not conversing or exchanging ideas or adventures or even your personal dreams with living breathing human beings..

We see that a lot. They have no life. Their Choice.

To close

LIFE IS AN ADVENTURE

LIVE IT !

Chart your own course.
Old 18-04-2019, 19:26   #24

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

With your background and seatime you may well qualify for a USCG license which would ease your entry into the US market. You should start working on documenting your sea time ASAP.
Years ago after spending my formative years commercialfishing in the summers in BC and winters towing logs and barges, I emigrated to the US and was awarded a 200 ton Masters ticket and started a delivery business in San Diego. Worked that for about 20 years then sold it. We lived aboard in San Diego the whole time and delivered boats primarily from SoCal to Ensenada( 91 Day Yacht club in those days) but had several deliveries down to Panama and as far north as Alaska.
Retired for many years but have good memories.. have dual citizenship US and Canada so it was fairly easy to set up a business in the US. I made the rounds of every boat broker in SoCal to set up referrals.
Another poster mentioned working under the table until you got established. I would not advise that because the CBP and ICE can drop a ton on you pretty quickly!
With your background and experience, you could probably get a charter Co. to sponsor you particularly if you could secure a license.
Hard working and honest folks should have no problem gettting jobs in the marine industry.
Good luck!
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 00:04   #25

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
If your skills translate to boat service, you can set up shop in sunny Florida and do quite well working on yachts; while you're at it, you will come across someone who will sell their boat to you at a good price. All you have to do is show up on time (sober is a plus), do a good job, and be honest; the world will beat a path to your door, or should I say carve through the waves to your companionway.

I wish you well.

Leo
This is a true statement. There are SO many incompetent, lying, cheating boat repair people out there, that if you are good, and HONEST, the word will spread like fire wherever you base yourself. Pick a spot with few people who do what you can do, and all the better....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 06:59   #26

U.S.C.G. Capt. License :

Capt. Phil is right on. Document your sea time. If you work for a company, they will also confirm your sea time from their computer records.

( For those interested in earning their U.S.C.G. License )

with a 100 ton U.S.C.G Merchant Marine Officers License. You will be able
to take out more than six passengers for compensation or hire.

I needed 720 days , at sea documented sea time. ( that took 5 years ) I also listed many of the different types of vessels, sail and motor vessels along with the State registration numbers, or U.S. documentation numbers, type and LOA of each vessel and areas sailed, world wide.

Nothing was awarded, not even close. That information, along with other
required documents was turned into the U.S.C.G testing officer in charge at the
U.S.C.G Testing Facility .

He looked over it, and asked me if I wanted to go for the 100 ton .

" Yes Sir ."

Again, nothing was awarded, I sat for the many different sections or evolutions,
of the written exams, I believe there were six separate exams the first day, and most of the tests needed 90% to pass. Some others were 70 %

If you did not pass a test section, YOU WERE DONE FOR THE DAY, and could
not continue, but could return the next day, to retake that section. You could not advance to the following test section until the failed test was passed.

If you did not pass on the second attempt, you had to wait for 30 days, do some more study, etc, and then return the U.S.C.G TESTING FACILITY. And
continue on going thru and passing all of those exams.

i passed all of those sections, one after another and that took a near full day.
That was enough for one day.

the next day, I came back to take and pass the NAVIGATION section . 90% required.

At that time the USCG, Typed up and personally handed me the 100 ton license.

You are not finished. That 100 ton license expires after 5 years, and you have to
renew, with documented sea time, and or a written test.

When i first started out 30 plus years ago, renewal required both the current sea time and a written exam.

That changed slightly over the years, and now it may just be documented sea
time if you have it.

I worked under the auspices of my licenses, Instructor, charter capt. flotilla leader, and deliver skipper, Fantastic life. Great people and grand
adventures.

If you truly want to earn your U.S.C.G Merchant Marine Officer License, get that
sea time documented, study, and be prepared. They also have private
U.S.C.G test prep schools to help prepare for that beast of a test.

Also, one last tip....The U.S.C.G. is a Military Organization, keep military bearing , and being organized in mind.

Fair winds and following seas and success in whatever path you chose.

Tags
water