Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2019, 08:00   #61

Re: Sailing With paying guests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
This thread is interesting in that I think we've all considered it or have done it from time to time. But I have to say, few discussions have been as entertaining.
What about a saling club?
chavodelocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 08:05   #62

sailing club?
chavodelocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 08:17   #63

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibetitsthisway View Post
@ gordmay

thanks a lot for this terrific insight, man!

I am not speaking about chartering as a business, but as a win/win for private (world) cruisers, by meeting new people on a sometimes lonely trip and getting payed a few bucks - paying for the monthly diesel cost and making it chaeper for the guests than commercial charter.
That is cause for felony arrest in the US. Also you will have no insurance coverage if there is an incident. Equal sharing of food and fuel is OK
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 08:23   #64

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

I can tell you from experience that is is very demanding! Especially because the guests want their monies worth. Have you watched “Below Deck” on bravo channel?? Watch it and you will get an idea of how demanding paying guests can be.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 08:58   #65

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

I frequently take guests and "share expenses". No profit. I have had generally good experiences, but you don't get to relax much. Generally keeping an eye on the guests.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 10:21   #66
sdj
cruiser

Boat: Ganley Pacemaker 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
.... your boat can be confiscated by the uncle of some guy feels you are competing unfairly.
No I dont think so.

I nod, smile and stand firm to people who have ever dared say this to me. They can say whatever they want, but boyo step onto what's mine and get very swiftly and abruptly get removed.
sdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 10:56   #67
sdj
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
Have you watched “Below Deck” on bravo channel?? Watch it and you will get an idea of how demanding paying guests can be.
Hah, this is funny. "Television is a good yardstick for real life", only in murica I think..
Old 14-10-2019, 11:13   #68

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

There is a very big difference between scenarios here.

If a group of friends decide to take a trip and split expenses (example dinner, drinks, fuel, slip fees,) you are not going to run afoul of the law or your insurance company. Hopefully none of your friends gets hurt (sharing expenses or otherwise) and decide they are no longer a friend. Then the insurance company and you in a civil suit are at risk.

Deciding to travel and make yourself available to take people sail out for a day or longer is quite another thing. The way that the OP presented this was not to cut expenses but to cover his own additional expense. That is commercial! If injuries happen in that scenario your insurance company is going to bail on you unless you have commercial (charter) insurance, and you will be left to pay whatever you have in the lawsuit.

The only way this works is if you are not insured and have nothing that people can sue you for. Or, you can get lucky, have a wonderful time, make some money, and sail away happily. Good luck with that.
Old 14-10-2019, 11:37   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Assuming you want to operate legally and in the US:

1. Will need a USCG OUPV license (Operator Uninspected Passenger Vessel - commonly called 6-pack) at a minimum to accept paying guests. Requires sitting for an extensive exam and documenting 360-days of vessel operation.

2. Insurance. I can tell you it's expensive. I used to use my trawler as a training platform for 1-2 day close quarter maneuvers and insurance ate-up over half my revenues. There are specialized marine insurance agents who can assist.

3. Market for 'adventure' sailors. Check out John and Amanda Neal. They have been doing cruising legs as charters for 25+ years. The last 20 years or so has been on a Halberg Rassey 47, but before that, John had a much smaller boat. Definitely possible, though could take a while to build-up the business. I can tell you its not the type of work suited to many people - you have to have a smiley 'game face' every day.

Good luck!

Peter
USCG 100T 899414
Add to that if the vessel is over 5 tons, it will need to be USCG documented. Your captain will need to belong to an alcohol/drug monitoring program. If you have more than 6 paying guests aboard you will need a Certificate of Inspection and a Stability Letter.

Oh, and under a bareboat charter contract the owner cannot be the captain, though he may recommend other captains to be hired separate of the charter contract.

John Wampler USCG Ret
YachtAide dotcom
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 12:02   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Charter experience from Croatia/Europe as Charter-Skipper

One can offer his work as skipper and let the crew rent the boast at a charter base.
The pay can be arranged as cash down - so no evidence.

But through the years the bathers became more and more consumers. And they go in for a meticolous planning of their recreation. Though the boat is used like a hired car with driver.

And that has nothing to do with our intentions of sailing and recreation by letting the nature desire what to come next.

Yes it is a bias but in fact it is getting worse and the right peaple to become sailors are getting rare.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 12:09   #71

The originator of this thread is, so it seems, German, but has ambitions to visit the most remote corners of the world. He has had an enormous amount of advice from experienced forum members, and one hopes that he has taken it to heart.

A good deal of the advice has been specific to the United States and her citizens. Given that the vast majority of our members are US citizens (or domiciled in the US ), this thread, though not so intended, has had, I think, great value in cautioning newcomers against the dangers inherent in doing what the OP sought advice about.

And that is, IMO, the great value of threads such as this. The making of information available to people new to cruising who check in from time to time but never post and who we therefore know nothing about.

I would like to make a gentle plea that when answering queries such as the one that generated this thread, members take a moment to determined the OP's theatre of operations, lest we should inadvertently misinform him in regard to the legalities that obtain there.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 14:11   #72
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdj View Post
No I dont think so.

I nod, smile and stand firm to people who have ever dared say this to me. They can say whatever they want, but boyo step onto what's mine and get very swiftly and abruptly get removed.
When the uncle is a police or military officer with an armed squad behind him, full power of the (often thoroughly corrupt) government, believe me all the bravado in the world just makes your situation worse.

Depends where you are of course
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 14:16   #73

I have been "paying crew" on boats for 10 years. Depending on the location of the boat, I have paid $35-$65 a day. That includes food, fuel, docking/mooring fees, etc. Each crew member had galley duty on a rotating basis along with helping sail, keeping watch, etc. The skippers didn't have any permits or licenses. One didn't have insurance. Overall, it has been a great experience and I have met a lot of wonderful people from all over the world.
nasaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 15:39   #74
sdj
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
When the uncle is a police or military officer with an armed squad behind him
I'm not going to disagree with you disagreeing with me about something I didn't type, conveniently taken out of context by you. Do you what I'm going to do? I'm to put you on my ignore list.
Old 14-10-2019, 17:20   #75
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Thanks, greatly appreciated, hope to return the favor one day
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing