Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 14:33   #1

Sailing in Greece / Corfu - rules and regs?? Greek tax, port police,

New sailor in Greece

Does anyone know the ins and outs of what is required when sailing around Greece in your own boat?

European flagged boat.
Over 11m
Currently moored in Corfu
Looking at sailing around rest of Greece

Just wanting to make sure I have all relevant paper work.. If or when required....

I have read something about a trip log with port police... But to be honest have had boat there for 3 years and no one has ever asked for any papers....

Greek tax wise?? Does any one know of any updates for this summer before I sail off?.

Any help / suggestions appreciated.

All the best

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zooplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:57   #2

Re: Sailing in Greece / Corfu - rules and regs?? Greek tax, port police,

Sailing in Greece | JimB Sail
He covers most of the stuff including the new touring tax.
I wouldn't cruisearound without a transit log. There are some officious people in the system.
Go to really small ports and you'll rarely see the authorities. In PREVEZAthey left a note on my boat instructing me to report to their office. Lots of uniforms etc. Collected 20+ Euros for 3 nights
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 13:54   #3

Thanks.. off to Port police it seems... slightly nervous and trailing my feet...
Old 07-02-2015, 16:19   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Actually I think Noonsite has the best formalities instructions. As a EU flagged boat all you will get is a Depka and it doesn't need to be stamped anymore. I don't think the Port Authority really cares about EU boats yet.

You have probably gone to the PA at Gouvia which is an ok option. The main office by the cruise port is a royal PITA.
Old 07-02-2015, 17:32   #5

I went to the guy in Gouvia first, a very strange experience. Reminded me of chatting to Barney Fife () who also had ADD.

He'll probably tell you to go to Corfu Town to get the paperwork.

As you read, you'll soon see that things are in a significant state of flux at the moment.

We have only sailed in the Ionian in Greece. There are port police in some places you wouldn't expect (Gaios, Syvota). The only time we have had real issues was when they put the letter on our boat in Preveza and the guy called us over into his office in Syvota. In the past, they used to charge 2 nights fees if you arrived in the afternoon and left the next morning (the day ends at midnight, total fee 14+ euros), but now you are not required to report to them, I think.

We are thoroughly enjoying cruising in Greece although keep getting put off by talk about the Meltemi in the Aegean.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 17:49   #6

Boat: between boats

Make sure you have enough 3rd party insurance too ( i think it was upped to 500k euro last year?) have had friends held up in port till they could arrange for an increase in writing which took about a week.

Defo more wind once you head into the agean and more unpredictable compared to ionion but there are plenty of boltholes to be had so dont let the wind put you off. The variety from one side of greece to the other is well worth it.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:56   #7

Thanks for the info.. should be just sticking in the Ionian this year but next year aegean here we come..

To be honest though we have been caught in some unpleasnt weather around Corfu with thunderstorms rolling in off the Albanian mainland.. and then of course the total opposites zero wind conditions.. not sure what i dislike more...

Where about are you these days in Greece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
I went to the guy in Gouvia first, a very strange experience. Reminded me of chatting to Barney Fife () who also had ADD.

He'll probably tell you to go to Corfu Town to get the paperwork.

As you read, you'll soon see that things are in a significant state of flux at the moment.

We have only sailed in the Ionian in Greece. There are port police in some places you wouldn't expect (Gaios, Syvota). The only time we have had real issues was when they put the letter on our boat in Preveza and the guy called us over into his office in Syvota. In the past, they used to charge 2 nights fees if you arrived in the afternoon and left the next morning (the day ends at midnight, total fee 14+ euros), but now you are not required to report to them, I think.

We are thoroughly enjoying cruising in Greece although keep getting put off by talk about the Meltemi in the Aegean.
Old 08-02-2015, 15:23   #8

We sailed from Preveza to Leros in Dodecanese last season where we left her at Leros Marina.

Spent around a month and a half in Ionion the year before that after the adriatic but snow and 10 degree max temps in April last year had us move to the saronic pretty much straight away (now thats a place for light winds)> will be back to the ionion but on the way back out west eventually.

This year we will do another loop of the cyclades before heading into turkey.
Old 08-02-2015, 15:35   #9

Barra,
I'll be in the Cyclades from June 20th to July 20th of this year. If you see me lets have a beer and ouzo.
David.
Old 08-02-2015, 16:01   #10

Your on Dave. Where will you be starting from?
Old 08-02-2015, 16:38   #11

Starting in Messolonghi and ending in Marmaris. We did the same trip last year but came back around the Peloponnese and returned to Messo. I'm looking forward to spending a little more time at the islands as we were rushed last year. 1550 nm in 7 weeks with 24 "crew" joining at different periods, I was wiped out at the end.

I'll make a note to send you a PM when we head out from Hydra.
David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Route.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	96853  
Old 08-02-2015, 17:09   #12

Sounds good look forward to it.

We made the same mistake in our first summer here - France to Greece via Venice and most stops in between with crew changes dictating dates - wont repeat that.

You may already know this but just in case - try and avoid arriving in Hydra on the weekend or you may not get a berth due to Athens weekender crowd.

We will also end in Marmaris eventually.
Old 19-11-2015, 10:17   #13

Just for the heck of it...

I guess I will never forget the dialogue I had with my sailing instructor, a long time mariner with a full captains license:

-So captain, once we enter a port what is the procedure? When/how should we contact the port police authorities?

-ARE YOU CRAZY? Why the heck would you awake the sleeping monster?

Given the fact that this strategy seems to have worked flawlessly for the OP for 3 years I am indeed baffled why he is so set on changing it.

If paying fees, fines, passing inspections, fighting with bureaucracy, showing documents, giving bribes is your cup of tea, then indeed contacting the Port Police DOES seem the way to go.

I guess I would wait for them to contact me and in case they didn't I wouldn't really worry about it.

On a final note, the tax system is in tatters around here and as far as I know the new law regarding foreign cruising yachts fees is not enforced.

Inexperienced Greek skipper
Alimenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 03:07   #14

Boat: Jenneau 45

[QUOTE=Raythesailor;1966810]Quite a few people in the Ionian get away with not completing the necessary paper work but beware it could be a ticking time bomb!
The formalities are not onerous or expensive.
On arrival in Greece you should report to the Port Police, who will issue with cruising log, I forget the official name ,something like Depkra. There is a small tax payment of around 20 euro. Unfortunatly this payment is normally at a different office.
You then return to the Police who will stamp it , and that is it.
At the moment you then only need to have it stamped, at no charge, once a year, normally at the start of the season on re launch.
If you go to the Agean you will need to show it in most harbours(not all) together with insurance documents and pass port info, and registration docs (Sr. Type etc)
You should produce crew list. Not difficult. We typed ( a DIY) one up on the computer with all the boat, insurance, and passport details etc. We left space to add details for any guests we had from time to time.

Once you have all the paperwork I agree with the advice" don't go looking for them. They will come to you if they feel like it" The police are now tending to leave it to local council/harbour officials.

We have sailed in the Ionian and Agean. Last year we returned to the Ionian to escape the winds. We are now back in Lavrion. The gulf of Corinth is excellent once under the bridge. Don't rush to the canal take your time and explore.

If you see us around come and have a beer,

Ray
Jenneau 45, Josephine.

I hope this helps. Far from me to suggest deception but claiming recent arrival may be easier than explaining why you have been there for three years without reporting! Your decission.[/QUOTE
Raythesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 12:41   #15

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

A word of warning about Corfu. The nearest place to park the yacht to visit the Port Police, Customs etc in Corfu is the "New Harbour" at 39 38 N and 19 55 E.
This newly built harbour is very good, go stern to the eastern wall. Walk westwards to the officials. About 10 minutes.

BUT. There is a large sewer outlet into the basin at the SE corner. You can even see it in the picture. And it is pure poo, really, floaties and all. And it stinks and messes up your waterline in a matter of hours. Incredible. 500 yachts without holding tanks could not compete.

Which is all a great shame as the harbour now has a breakwater and is free though charter boats like to use the NE corner.
I am not saying do not go there, I probably will again. Just hold your breath, keep your lines out of the water and do not stay long. Just walk along to the offices, do the paperwork and leave. Fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corfu.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	115260  
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, rule, sail, sailing